Businesses I would miss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Businesses I would miss...

If I moved back to Hawaii, I would miss out on several things that I can get readily here on the mainland.

First, xmradio. My satellite radio works, but I guess I could just get the internet feed if I wanted to just listen at home and not in my car.

Second, Trader Joe's. If you haven't been to this market, I don't know how I can explain it. They find food from all over the world and repackage it with their trademark style and have a great selection of good food.

Third, Target. Big department store. Sort of like an upscale K-Mart. But, it really has evolved over the years. Everybody shops there in the mainland, no matter the social status. My wife said this could be a deal breaker for her if we move to Hawaii.

How about you? Anything available on the mainland but not in the islands that you really really miss?

Re: Businesses I would miss...

I ya miss it, stay in socal. our islands are californicated enuff.
    I miss too many things here in Hawaii that we once knew well, that have been supplanted by the mainland lifestyle.

Comment

I was counting down the seconds, expecting Kimo to chime in with exactly that sentiment. Now that it's said...

I keep hearing about how great Target stores are. If we have WalMarts and K-Marts, it seems like an odd omission. I'm at least a little curious.

All the commercials for certain chain restaurants, from Boston Market to Olive Garden, sometimes make me curious as well. Though certainly, after a while they all sort of blend together, Chili's, Ruby Tuesday's, yada yada yada.

I know there are limitations on various satellite TV providers, though I guess Dish Network figured something out, since they're everywhere (four dishes on our block already... says something, since we're basically in Oceanic's backyard). My wife's interested in satellite radio, but I'm not. That's what iPods are for!

And it's always amused me how there isn't a Bath & Body Works store here, something that's in great local demand -- though perhaps that demand is because they have no retail presence. So, you have folks clearing the shelves at stores in Nevada or New York (when my mom visited a B&BW store in the Big Apple and filled her basket for her friends back home, the cashier guessed immediately that she was from Hawaii), or doing their own underground importing.

Comment

Ditto on the Target and Trader Joe's.

A few others I wish we had here:
        • Olive Garden
        • Bath and Body Works
        • Express
        • Cracker Barrel
        • In-and-Out
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I don't think I would have too big a problem. I agree, tearing down local businesses to put in a Wal-Mart has destroyed the culture in ALL of the states.

I don't expect Hawaii to have only California stuff. I actually like the culture. That is why I want to move back.

When I visited last, I ate malasadas, saimin, and poke. My kids wanted to go to California Pizza Kitchen, Cheesecake Factory, and McDonalds. My wife wanted Starbucks. I forced them to go to local places. The kids adjusted pretty well, the wife needed a little coaxing.

We eat sushi pretty regularly here, so she has made some steps away from her Irish upbringing. But things like the piece of pink meat in the top of the saimin bowl, she can't even look at. All the good food I wanted to show her, she said was too fattening. I think it would take a bit of getting used to.

I didn't start this thread to convince anyone to bring mainland businesses to Hawaii. I just thought I'd express a little.

Comment

Ah, In-N-Out burger! Then I should throw White Castle into the mix. They're a predominantly East Coast thing, but something tells me those greasy little "sliders" would find a fan in the local palate.

Comment

Oh, In and Out is one of those California places that people pine for. I don't really get it, but when people come back to CA to visit me, they make me drive to In and Out Burger first. I prefer Tommy's chili burgers. Or San Diego fish tacos.

I guess it is similar to wanting a white castle burger from the east coast. Or, some southern barbecue the way they make it in North Carolina, or some Sourdough from San Francisco.

I didn't think about Bath and Body works, but I bet my wife would miss that one too.

Comment

I want a Trader Joe's sooooooooo bad! Great store. And I think there's a rumor or 2 about a possible Target presence in Hawaii. I detest shopping (but have to shop for food) so the Targets, Walmarts and Kmarts don't mean a thing to me other than they've run mom and pop stores out of business. But, if I had to pick only one of those 3, I'd opt for Target.

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan

I didn't think about Bath and Body works, but I bet my wife would miss that one too.
                  I wonder if they'll ever open a Bath and Body and Victoria's Secret here. Sometimes it just seems very unlikely...but then again I never thought we'd ever get a Nordstrom's and look -- we're getting one next year!

Whenever I visit the States I have to leave room for all my B&BW crap I bring back for everyone.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

ok. In n Out. When I am in socal, i head straight for in n out. the best burgers on the mainland. But I am happy to have them remain on the mainland.
                    And by californicated i mean the islands have too much mainland culture as it is. Too many come here and want to bring their mainland lifestyle with them., they need their overly packaged merchandise. (and they need it often. )
                    They need their food. Their towers. Their traffic. their driving habits brought in from el lay. their pushy arrogant ways. their impatience. their mass consumeristic wasteful ways.
                    ("...oh, I saw a few things at bed bath and be yawn in Oxnard, so they should put up a few stores... HERE!")
                    Our island's finite land mass, limited resources, water, electr. etc, our landfills can not handle it.

(k, pzarq. i dropped the other shoe....)

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                      I wonder if they'll ever open a Bath and Body and Victoria's Secret here. Sometimes it just seems very unlikely...but then again I never thought we'd ever get a Nordstrom's and look -- we're getting one next year!
                      Indeed. Part of a gargantuan expansion by Ala Moana Center. BTW, the reason why a Nordstrom's there seemed unlikely is because the existing anchor tenants (i.e. Liberty House/Macy's) had contracts that blocked another large, competing retailer from moving into the mall. So, you know, they put them next to the mall. Sneaky buggers.

Can't say I understand the appeal of Nordstrom's, or Neiman Marcus for that matter. I think a B&BW or Victoria's Secret would go over quite well, though.
                      Originally posted by Lei Liko
                      Whenever I visit the States I have to leave room for all my B&BW crap I bring back for everyone.
                      Whenever you visit the what? Aiya!

Comment

It would be nice if we had a Michael's (craft store) and Bath & Body Works

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                          they make me drive to In and Out Burger first. I prefer Tommy's chili burgers.
                          I agree. And Tommy's chili fries... YUM.
                          So maybe when you move here you could get a franchise option for a Tommy's and for an In 'N Out?
                          Please?!?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Derweinerschnitzel!
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              Then I should throw White Castle into the mix.
                              Sam's Club sells (or used to sell) White Castle frozen burgers. I didn't buy them to try them out since I don't bake or have a microwave.

Comment

Working...
                              X