Any new musical discoveries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any new musical discoveries?

I have a co-worker that introduced me to an Italian rock band by the name of Lacuna Coil. The band has a woman lead singer and her voice is very entrancing. You can view their videos for free at http://www.youtube.com and search for Lacuna Coil. I recommend you check out the videos titled "swamped" and "our truth". Let me know what you think and if you know of any bands I should check out.... I almost forgot make sure you check out the new video from AFI called Miss Murder.

These bands really rock.

"Good generals select intelligent officers, thoughtful advisors, and brave subordinates. They oversee their troops like a fierce tiger with wings." - Zhuge Liang circa 220 AD

Re: Any new musical discoveries?

Actually, I think AFI's new video is a kind of rip off of Marilyn Manson.

Music everyone should listen to:

Modest Mouse (they will rock your socks off)

Gnarles Barkley (spelling may be wrong)- very jazzy, trip hoppy music. They sing a song about being Transformers, how cool is that?

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - her voice makes my heart cry, especially in songs like Maps or Modern Romance.

The new Morrissey album is really good. I highly reccomend it.

Um...i need to go check my music collection...

edit to say- i like your quote.

Comment

Not really a musical discovery for me, but it might be for some of you:

The Girlas

They're a group of 4 twenty-somethings (well, 6...actually, but two are in the mainland for the time being) I met when I used to frequent Hale Noa (the premier `awa bar on Kapahulu Ave. that has since closed).

They all come from musical familes, notably Tiffa Cruz Garza and Connie Cruz (daughters of Ernie Sr. and sisters to John, Guy, and Ernie Jr.) and their album 'Now or Never' (released last April) earned rave reviews from Wayne Harada and John Berger.

If you like folk, acoustic, and indie music -- check em out! If you don't...check em out anyway! The songs can be sampled at the above link and more are available on iTunes.

Support local music!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

yea..I have. Listen to the band called Dragonforce and their song called "Through the fire and flames." And look at the guitar solo. It's just not possible to move their fingers that fast. It's on youtube.com check it there

Comment

Originally posted by chriscollado
          Lacuna Coil. I recommend you check out the videos titled "swamped" and "our truth". Let me know what you think and if you know of any bands I should check out.... These bands really rock.
          Wow! Thanks for the tip! Diggin' Christina Scabbia's look and sound. The male co-singer also compliments her perfectly. Their sound brings Evanescence to mind, but with a much more climactic and riffy metal edge. I couldn't pick up a noteworthy guitar solo on any of the (youtube video) tracks, but for the most part, the songs are well composed. I'll certainly look for them on my next visit to Borders or iTunes.

I remember back in the early 90's when hard rock/metal was on its commercial death bed, a co-worker introduced me to DREAM THEATER and their newly released Images & Words album. I was awestruck! It's like Rush, Whitesnake and Iron Maiden all rolled into one progressive rock masterpiece. If you like Lacuna Coil, it's highly possible you'd like Dream Theater.
          Last edited by Pomai; June 15, 2006, 01:31 AM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
            The male co-singer also compliments her perfectly.
            yea! one time I heard him say to her;
            "yer not saggin' down there like ya used to!"
            I turned to Maddie and said:
            "Hey. that's a good compliment. how far would I get..."
            and then she slapped me and said. "don't even bother!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              Wow! Thanks for the tip! Diggin' Christina Scabbia's look and sound. The male co-singer also compliments her perfectly. Their sound brings Evanescence to mind, but with a much more climactic and riffy metal edge. I couldn't pick up a noteworthy guitar solo on any of the (youtube video) tracks, but for the most part, the songs are well composed. I'll certainly look for them on my next visit to Borders or iTunes.

I remember back in the early 90's when hard rock/metal was on its commercial death bed, a co-worker introduced me to DREAM THEATER and their newly released Images & Words album. I was awestruck! It's like Rush, Whitesnake and Iron Maiden all rolled into one progressive rock masterpiece. If you like Lacuna Coil, it's highly possible you'd like Dream Theater.

Yeah, their style seems more simple without any guitar solos. I've noticed that more from euro-rock. Her voice is amazing. They have very catchy tunes.

Comment

Originally posted by flying snow
                Actually, I think AFI's new video is a kind of rip off of Marilyn Manson.

Music everyone should listen to:

Modest Mouse (they will rock your socks off)

Gnarles Barkley (spelling may be wrong)- very jazzy, trip hoppy music. They sing a song about being Transformers, how cool is that?

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - her voice makes my heart cry, especially in songs like Maps or Modern Romance.

The new Morrissey album is really good. I highly reccomend it.

Um...i need to go check my music collection...

edit to say- i like your quote.
                Maybe their "flock of seagulls" haircuts.. eeewwww. But their sound is way different. To me their sound is contradictory in the way that they are clearly dark but happy??? It is strange to me but a very attractive sound. Marylyn Manson is not someone I would listen to. He is scary. I'm not into that.

Oh yeah.. my wife loves that Gnarles Barkley guy he sounds like he is kinda disco but it sounds good. I thought it was Star Wars though. Wasn't he dressed as Darth Vader and his band as Storm Troopers?
                Last edited by chriscollado; June 18, 2006, 02:03 AM.

Comment

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=765366489&n=2

"The next American IDOL"

Comment

Originally posted by chriscollado
                    Maybe their "flock of seagulls" haircuts.. eeewwww. But their sound is way different. To me their sound is contradictory in the way that they are clearly dark but happy??? It is strange to me but a very attractive sound. Marylyn Manson is not someone I would listen to. He is scary. I'm not into that.
                    First off, "Miss Murder" and "Prelude 12/21" (the first song in the director's cut of the "Miss Murder" music video) have been in constant rotation for me.

I think I understand what you're saying: songs like "Miss Murder" have catchy melodies combined with darker themes. But the thing is, A.F.I.'s sound has evolved. I'm not too familiar with their old stuff (pre-Sing the Sorrow), but from what I understand, they started out as a purely hardcore punk band, then incorporated "horror punk" elements in its music. Now their music is a little more catchier/commercial/pop, etc., but still has dark thematic elements. (Definitely not like Marilyn Manson, though.)

I could imagine there are fans that are upset with the mainstream direction the band's taking (a la Green Day), but it seems there are many other fans who appreciate A.F.I.'s willingness to progress.

Comment

There are a lot of talented artists from Northern Europe and the Nordic region:

From Belgium, the group Hooverphonic. Check out their first album A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular

From Iceland, Emiliana Torrini and Sigur Ros.
                      You can hear Emiliana Torrini on the second LOTR soundtrack. I thought it was Bjork singing "Gollum's Song," during the end credits. It turned out to be Emiliana who's Italian/Icelandic and has a few albums out.

You may have heard of the group Sigur Rós, they played at the Hawaii Theatre last year... and the video for 'Sæglópur’, the 3rd single to be released from their fourth album ‘Takk…’ is riveting and a great way to spend five minutes of a mundane morning...

From Denmark, Sorten Muld.
                      Last edited by lilin; June 23, 2006, 12:53 PM. Reason: To correct geographical reference.

Comment

Originally posted by lilin
                        There are a lot of talented artists from the Nordic region:
                        From Belgium, the group Hooverphonic.
                        Belgium is Nordic now? Man, I gotta get me a new atlas.

Oh, try from Sweden: E.S.T. (Esbjorn Svensson Trio) - acoustic jazz group (piano, bass, drums), but with a bit of an edge. They can start off with a dark, but infectious melody, then really stretch their sound out there in solos (with some distortion effects), and bring it back to the melody - and you will enjoy the white-knuckle parts of the ride. Heard recordings for years, but just caught 'em live last night.

An act to watch for with her first release coming out later this year: Kelly Sweet. Young singer with an old soul, great compositional skills, classically-trained and jazz-inflected pop voice, tasty remake of "Dream On."

Comment

Nope your atlas is perfect... mine is just a little screwy, as I seem to get Belgium and Sweden mixed up.

Another great voice from the region Mari Boine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                            Not really a musical discovery for me, but it might be for some of you:
                            The Girlas
                            Listening to the CD right now. Definitely not "Hawaiian," which means they might get some Mainland successes and airplay, too. Good writing, musical structures that don't distract from the songs, very good harmonies - reminds me in spots of Rickie Lee Jones, Indigo Girls, Ani DiFranco. Thanks for the suggestion, LL.

Comment

Originally posted by lilin
                              Another great voice from the region Mari Boine.
                              Oh yeah! I love her stuff - yoik! From Sami (what most folks call Lapland, though the folks from there reject that name.)

Comment

Working...
                              X