Top Hawaii Albums of All Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Hawaii Albums of All Time

The June 2004 issue of Honolulu Magazine features a panel-selected "50 Greatest Hawaii Albums of All Time." The editors are careful to point out that they said "Hawaii Albums," not "Hawaiian Albums," meaning that it includes any work by an island artist, whether they'd play it on KINE or not.

The top ten are:

1. Honolulu City Lights, Keola & Kapono Beamer (1978)
    2. Guava Jam, The Sunday Manoa (1969)
    3. Gabby, Gabby Pahinui (1972)
    4. The Extraordinary Ku`i Lee, Ku`i Lee (1966)
    5. Kawaipunahele, Keali`i Reichel (1994)
    6. Exotica, Martin Denny (1957)
    7. Young Hawai`i Plays Old Hawai`i, Hui `Ohana (1973)
    8. Ho`ala, The Brothers Cazimero (1978)
    9. Facing Future, Israel Kamakawiwo`ole (1993)
    10. Kalapana, Kalapana (1975)

There are 40 more, of course, and it's a great list. Be sure to pick up your own copy.

But I'm curious. What would your top five Hawaii albums be? Either what albums you think represent Hawaii best to the world, or simply mean Hawaii to you. And if there's a story behind a selection, do tell!
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 2, 2004, 08:06 PM.

Re: Top Hawaii Albums of All Time

Number One for me would definitely be the Waimea Festival recording.

Comment

# 1 for me would be any of IZ's CD's. I never tire of any Hawaiian music, when I visit N. CA I yearn for Hawaiian music...do they have any stations up that way that play Hawaiian music or do I have to bring my own CD's? Right now on my disk player I'm listening to: Kuleana, Amy & Willy Live, Barry Flanagan, Ho'okena & Pride of Punahele II. Otherwise it's just tuned in to KINE.
      Retired Senior Member

Comment

I'm not gonna quibble with the choices, but I will certainly quibble about Honolulu Magazine's web policy; if ever there were a linkable story that would be it, but do they put the list up on the site? Nope (at least, not when I first looked; if they have since I'll apologize). Grr.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

If you click on the link that says click to order it'll show you the 50 albums.

My favorites....C&K all of their albums, Sunday Manoa Crackseed, Olomana all albums, Makaha sons All albums, Hui Ohana all albums including Dennis Pavaos albums, but my number one is Thirst Quencher by Ho'okena.

I live in Northern CA, We don't have a station that plays hawaiian music but I do have dish network and it has a channel that plays hawaiian music.

Comment

Through the years I have enjoyed the following:

1. Elua - Cecilio & Kapono (1975)
            2. Kalapana - Kalapana (1975)
            3. Cecilio & Kapono (1974)
            4. Alone in IZ World - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole (2001)
            5. Vanishing Treasures - Hawaiian Style Band (1993)
            6. Young Hawaii Plays Old Hawaii - Hui Ohana (1972)
            7. Yellow Bird - Arthur Lyman (1961)
            8. Sistah Robi - Robi Kahakalau (1996)
            9. Tropical Storm - Peter Moon Band (1978)
            10. Like a Seabird in the Wind - Olomana (1976)
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by aleno
              If you click on the link that says click to order it'll show you the 50 albums.
              Sadly some albums are no longer in print. That is one reason why I hold on to some of my old vinyl. I was surprised to see "Yellow Bird" to be out of print. I long had the LP and bought the CD released on Rykodisc a few years ago.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

According to a Honolulumagazine e-mail alert, KINE (105.1FM) is doing a special show based on the "50 Greatest Hawaii Albums of All Time" list. Tune in over the air or online on Saturday, June 5 from noon to 3 p.m. and on Sunday, June 6 from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m.

Comment

I could name a few of my greatest but what surprised me most was that Genoa Keawe wasn't at the top 10. I mean who doesn't recognize her voice? Who hasn't heard her sing "Alika" with that incredible lung of hers? My grandmother played the Party Hula album all the time and when it was scratched, we just put a penny on the needle arm to keep it from repeating and when that didn't work, we put on something heavier, like a quarter. So ghetto huh?
                  Send POI

Comment

I've never yet found a copy of Honolulu magazine in San Francisco, so I despair of ever reading this article (it looks so good!). Still, the top ten are hard to argue against.

Since Ryan asked, here's my Top Five Hawaiian Albums

#1 Teresa Bright - Self Portrait. This smooth album is a super-sentimental favorite of mine. I bought it on my first trip to Hawaii, based on hearing "He Aloha No O Honolulu" on the radio.

Actually, when my then-boyfriend Mike and I heard the song, we didn't know the performer's full name or the song title. Browsing through Tower later that week, Mike was convinced that the singer had a non-Hawaiian first name, and decided that it was Teresa Bright. Tower had a full selection of all her CDs, but was prominently displaying her first album Self Portrait. I was skeptical ("Wouldn't the radio station be playing her newer stuff instead?"), but Mike persevered and he turned out to be right.

#2 Dennis Pavao - Sweet Leilani. I've recently discovered the beauty of early Hui Ohana albums, but this album by Pavao is still a favorite. Hapa-haole songs never sounded so good.

#3 Keali`i Reichel - Kawaipunahele. My favorite Keali`i album.

#4 Israel Kamakawiwo`ole - Facing Future. My favorite Iz album.

#5 Pure Hawaiian compilation. I guess it's a cheat to list a compilation, but it's so damn good. Some favorites: "Ballad of Keawaiki" - Peter Moon Band; "Hi`ilawe/Aloha `Oe" - Gabby Pahinui; "Pai`ea" - Pai`ea; "Kawika" - Sunday Manoa. Oh yeah, and the "Live at Hank's Place" version of "Hawai`i '78" by Iz and the Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau. I've worn this CD out.

Comment

Originally posted by Leimamo
                      I could name a few of my greatest but what surprised me most was that Genoa Keawe wasn't at the top 10. I mean who doesn't recognize her voice? Who hasn't heard her sing "Alika" with that incredible lung of hers? My grandmother played the Party Hula album all the time and when it was scratched, we just put a penny on the needle arm to keep it from repeating and when that didn't work, we put on something heavier, like a quarter. So ghetto huh?
                      FYI, Aunty Genoa's Party Hulas is #11. You're right... it is a great album. And she's still going strong today. She performs weekly at the Waikiki Beach Marriott.

Comment

This just in! Mountain Apple is putting out a compilation CD based on their "Fifty Greatest Hawai'i Music Albums Ever" list, published in Honolulu magazine. Due out September 7, here's the track list.
                        1. Seabird - Olomana - "Like a Seabird in the Wind"
                        2. Hawai'i 78 - IZ - "Facing Future"
                        3. Flying With Angels - Na Leo - "Flying With Angels"
                        4. Across The Sea - Jack De Mello - "Music of Hawaii"
                        5. Ka Uluwehi O Ke Kai - Hapa - "Hapa"
                        6. Hale'iwa Hula - Amy Hänaiali'i - "Hawaiian Tradition"
                        7. You Ku'uipo - Willie K - "The Uncle In Me, Vol.1"
                        8. Kamehameha Waltz - Emma Veary - "The Best of Emma"
                        9. Kaimana Hila - Hawaiian Style Band - "Vanishing Treasures"
                        10. Nani Hanalei - The Brothers Cazimero - "The Best of The Brothers Cazimero, Vol.1"
                        11. Napo'ona Mahina - Ho'okena - "Thirst Quencher"
                        12. Ka Mämakakaua - Palani Vaughan - "Palani Vaughan's Best Vol.1"
                        13. Ku'u Ipo I Ka He'e Pue One - Nina Keali'iwahamana - "Nina"
                        14. Exotica - Don Tiki - "Forbidden Sounds of Don Tiki"
                        15. Ka Makani Kä 'ili Aloha - Keola & Kapono Beamer - "Honolulu City Lights"
                        16. Room Service - Rap Reiplinger - "Poi Dog With Crabs"
                        17. Aloha 'Oe - Jack de Mello - "Music of Hawaii"
                        You read it here first!

Comment

I'll play:

Off the top of my head, and of course subject to editing later:
                          1. Cecilio and Kapono -- Cecilio and Kapono
                          2. Cecilio and Kapono -- Elua
                          3. Ho`okena -- Na Kai Ewalu
                          4. The Fabulous Krush -- The Fabulous Krush (I think that's what it's called)
                          5. Sonny Chillingsworth -- Sonny Solo
                          6. Led Ka`apana -- Led Live
                          7. Ka`au Crater Boys -- Tropical Hawaiian Day
                          8. Red to White -- It's True
                          9. Stephen Anthony -- Undeserved Mercy
                          10. Various -- Ki Hoalu Christmas
                          11. Schnazz -- Schnazz (this one JUST for their cover of "I Think We're Alone Now")

I didn't see a lot of rock albums on others' lists, so I included three.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            I'll play:

[*]Schnazz -- Schnazz
                            Yep, this is a good album. The cover version of "I Think We're Alone Now" is a killer track along with "Jump on Your Bones" and "Bad Boys". Somebody ought to re-release this album to CD.
                            Last edited by mel; August 12, 2004, 04:47 PM. Reason: added endquote tag
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I still have mine on LP--haven't listened to it in twenty years or so, but I'm hanging on to it for when I finally get the stuff I need to do a decent CD copy. I'll be sure to pass one along if I ever do it.

There's an instrumental on that album called "Pignose Under Glass," a guitar solo that was pretty good. I never understood the title until I got into guitar playing much later. A Pignose is a portable battery-powered guitar amplifier.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X