The plight of women soldiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plight of women soldiers

Manoa suggested previously that the issue of Suzanne Swift might be better in another thread. So here it is, and we'll just start off with an open letter from her mother.

We already know that there has been blatant sexual harassment of women cadets at the military academies at the hands of male cadets who invariably also will end up leading women in the military. If that can happen in a peacetime situation, why are we surprised that it might be happening in Iraq or anywhere else in the world where our female military personnel are located? Is the solution to prevent women from joining the military?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: The plight of women soldiers

Wouldn't the better solution be to educate the military not to engage in sexual harrasement?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Wouldn't the better solution be to educate the military not to engage in sexual harrasement?
      Ha! That's like trying to tell a bunch of guys in a fraternity that they should respect women for their minds, and not their bodies.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I know I'm gonna get flagged for this...

But honestly, I liked the old policy where women were not allowed to fight on the front lines... Call me a softy or whatever...

I just don't think fighting is for women...
        Well I don't think fighting should be for men either... I'd just rather see two guys kill eachother...then two women for some reason!

And Sexual Harassment can go both ways... it just seems that men are more prone to do it then ladies.
        Last edited by damontucker; June 14, 2006, 01:03 PM. Reason: do it

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          And Sexual Harassment can go both ways... it just seems that men are more prone to it then ladies.
          Men are more often in positions of power or domination over women in American society, business, military, etc., thus there are more "opportunities" (probably not the best word, but...) for men to abuse that situation. But yes, it is a blade that cuts both ways; I doubt anyone would deny that.

Comment

Working...
          X