Condotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condotel

Anybody have experience with these? They seem to be the trend lately. Basically, you "buy" a hotel room, as a condo. But, down at the front desk, they rent it out daily for you just like a hotel. And, they split the income with you.

I ran the numbers on a few, and with expected occupancy (way less than 100%), and a typical mortgage, you should theoretically break even if you don't stay there.

But, then when you come to Hawaii, you have a place to stay. Granted, it's a 400 square foot hotel room. So, you'd have to figure something out more permanent eventually.

But, I also ran through a scenario where four business people from the mainland go in on one, and then basically have a regular place to stay for their trips.

Re: Condotel

First and perhaps most important question: is it leasehold, or fee simple?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

From what I understand, fee simple. I learned early to ask that question. The one I saw was the Alo Moana Tower (I have to find the web site), but I see them becoming more popular in tourist areas. (e.g. Vegas, Orlando, Waikiki)

Comment

I own a leasehold condo-hotel, oceanfront in Hilo. Got it for $20k a couple years ago. Fixed it up real nice. Pays for itself and then some. Gives me a place to stay when I'm in Hilo.

There is wide-spread financial misunderstanding and false propaganda about leasehold property in Hawaii which is why prices for leaseholds are often so crazy low.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

http://www.hicondos.com/hawaiiCondos...ighborhood.asp

http://www.hicondos.com/hawaiiCondos...p?building=139

Fee Simple

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
            Anybody have experience with these? They seem to be the trend lately. Basically, you "buy" a hotel room, as a condo. But, down at the front desk, they rent it out daily for you just like a hotel. And, they split the income with you.[...]
            There's been a little discussion on this subject in these threads. I'm seriously considering buying one eventually.

Comment

Working...
            X