Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates To Step Aside In Favor Of Charity Work

Source and full article.

Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates announced Thursday that he will transition from day-to-day responsibilities at the company he co-founded to concentrate on the charitable work of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

He plans to leave in July 2008

Gates will continue on as the company's chairman after transferring his duties over a two-year period.
    Ah, so that's why Vista took so long to make... (j/k - or am I?)

EDIT: sorry, I added the wrong link.
    Last edited by adrian; June 15, 2006, 04:56 PM.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Gates To Step Aside In Favor Of Charity Work

Billy will be 50 soon, and I think he is starting to feel his mortality. Better to be thought of as a citizen of the world, doling out his lucre to the world's neediest than as the creator of the Evil Squishy Empire. Besides, the people who will be running the ship when he "retires" won't stray too far from his way of doing things.

He actually is a good guy...he grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth, but he worked hard to get where he is and I think he is probably teaching his 2 kids to do the same.

Miulang

P.S. Many of the original Squishy millionaires are giving away vast portions of their wealth to good causes.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm worried what will become of Apple when Steve Jobs has to hang it up.

The last time he left it was a disaster.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Bill is going to run for president. actually he will buy America. Wait he owns it already!

Comment

Interesting how Gates' announcement about eventually focusing on the Gates Foundation preceded Warren Buffet's stunning decision to gift the majority of his wealth (about $30 billion) to that foundation. I can't imagine it's a coincidence. The Buffet contribution almost doubles the amount that the Gates Foundation will distribute, and I believe I heard that Bill Gates' active involvement in those affairs were a condition of the gift.

Both Gates and Buffet are known and frequently derided for their wealth, so these latest moves are understandable and probably inevitable, to make sure they're not remembered for their business savvy but instead their contributions to society.

The Gates Foundation is already making a difference in global poverty, health, and education. I'd much rather that be the focus of the eulogy at my funeral, rather than sales of Microsoft Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Interesting how Gates' announcement about eventually focusing on the Gates Foundation preceded Warren Buffet's stunning decision to gift the majority of his wealth (about $30 billion) to that foundation. I can't imagine it's a coincidence. The Buffet contribution almost doubles the amount that the Gates Foundation will distribute, and I believe I heard that Bill Gates' active involvement in those affairs were a condition of the gift.

Both Gates and Buffet are known and frequently derided for their wealth, so these latest moves are understandable and probably inevitable, to make sure they're not remembered for their business savvy but instead their contributions to society.

The Gates Foundation is already making a difference in global poverty, health, and education. I'd much rather that be the focus of the eulogy at my funeral, rather than sales of Microsoft Windows.
            Yeah, Bill and his foundation have been giving money away for nearly 10 years now (well, for as long as he's been married to Melinda anyway). He's given quite a bit to local schools too (a huge endowment to UW in honor of his late mother Mary and another in honor of his dad and some grants to local elementary schools for reading programs).

Bill and Warren have been playing bridge together for years, so their relationship goes back a long way. Deals like this one used to happen only on golf courses...I think it's kinda interesting that this one was forged over a bridge table! Bill's philosophy about his wealth is very similar to Buffett's: I think he'll certainly leave enough behind so his 3 kids are well provided for, but like his Dad did with him and his sisters, he will be giving most of it away. Funny, but a lot of the original Microsoft millionaires are doing similar things with their wealth, too.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; June 29, 2006, 11:46 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X