Recommended Exterminators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Exterminators?

I've tried various traps, but I'm at the point where I need professional help for ridding my apartment of a roach infestation.

Anybody have any companies they can recommend (or not recommend)? There are so many, and I plan to call around, but hearing of others' experiences would be helpful too.

Thanks
    Last edited by AbsolutChaos; June 16, 2006, 01:35 PM.

Re: Recommended Exterminators?

We had major, seasonal roach problems in our Makiki apartment. Never hired a pro, though. We'd just seal everything up tight and set off those fog bombs. It'd clear 'em out, at least for a while.

The problem with any individual action in an apartment complex is that the critters will basically just relocate, then eventually return when the coast is clear. The only real way to get a break is via complex-wide extermination, something that I'd imagine management wouldn't be too keen on.

So, if basically the game is, make your apartment less roach-friendly than the next one, you might as well focus on cleanliness, traps, and occasional fog bombs rather than an exterminator.

Comment

The exterminator is a last resort.

I have tried traps and tubes of boric acid, but to no avail. I put all my recyclables in sealed bins. I'm in the process of throwing all food away in my kitchen that's stored on the shelves, in case they have managed to eat holes through and are sustaining themselves off that. I am directly disposing of food into the apartment building trash chute instead of letting it sit in my garabage for a day. I bought fog bombs, but after reading several cockroach info sites that say they aren't that effective, and after talking to my mom, who voiced concerns over the bombs triggering my allergies, I decided against using them.

I was eating lunch in BROAD DAYLIGHT in my apartment and more than one roach started trying to crawl into my pizza box!!! (And this wasn't in the kitchen, either.) I no longer cook any food in my kitchen, and as a result, I've been living off fast food, which is definitely affecting my health after a month. I've inherited my mom's tendency toward allergies, and while I don't necessarily spend a lot of time in my apartment, I don't want to end up aggravating my allergy symptoms when I am here. I also recognize I have a real phobia of bugs in general, and my boyfriend has been having to squash and dispose of the roaches for me, as many as he can in the evenings, which he understandably is starting to lose patience with. All my friends who live here in Hawaii and who have seen my roach problem, including those who manage to do ok with roach traps, have told me to stop procrastinating and get an exterminator PRONTO.

After a few months, it is at a point now where it's REALLY bad. The roaches are partying and crawling ALL OVER my kitchen at night, and I'm starting to see them in the daytime and also in other parts of the house. I can't afford to wait any longer. They are German roaches, which means they replicate faster than any other kind of roach. I don't use my kitchen, don't have any leaks, etc. I've never had a problem before, and I think I might have carried them in from my car (which I'm going to bug bomb also). I will be doing a monthly/bimonthly maintenance program from now on to keep them out as much as possible too. It might also be that someone else in the building had their place sprayed and so they ended up in my apartment, which is what several people theorize, since I seem to have an explosion of them now.
      Last edited by AbsolutChaos; June 16, 2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I'm tempted to suggest that Tom DeLay might be a good choice, since he's currently out of work and he was an exterminator before he went to Congress.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

GollLLEEE I hate those creepy-crawly buggers ... it seemed like the one buzzing around my living room the other night was three inches long.

Anyway, this is not an endorsement -- but when I read the posts I remembered a company I'd written about before (you have to scroll a bit to get to the Encompass reference):

http://starbulletin.com/2005/01/19/business/engle.html
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

You really need to get into those baseboards where they harbor. Too bad that old favorite Johnson's Hadabug with the brush on applicator isn't available anymore, back then it worked like a champ.

Today's formulations just don't do it against our battle-tested roaches.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Grim Reaper. This man keeps the bugs outta my house all year round. He comes and treats two, three times a year. It is wonderful. I do not have to put everything in the fridge to keep it bug free. 261-7609. tell him Paula sent ya.

And yes, his logo features a Unabomber-looking character with a scythe. He's that effective.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Appreciate the responses thus far, guys!

Comment

Holy cow, AbsolutChaos... we had messy kids, tons of crumbs, forgotten bits of food everwhere ("What is this? When did we last have pizza?"), long-neglected wastebaskets, dirty dishes, and lots of damp, dark, forgotten corners, and it never got that bad for us. Considering your diligence in keeping your unit free of various attractors, I can only guess that one of your immediate neighbors -- or perhaps more than one -- is the real source of the problem.

A serious roach infestation will always affect more than one family in an apartment complex, and roaches themselves are an issue when it comes to allergies and contaminants. It sounds like something that the building management has to look into.

Comment

Me thinks you need professional help. If the critters are bold enough to have lunch with you in broad daylight...

You don't cook in the kitchen because of the roaches? Hire someone to get rid of them so you can get back to a normal life. Like someone said though, it's kinda hard if you live in an apartment building. Maybe the owner/association can be told of the problem and get all the units checked.

Comment

I remember from my Kapahulu apartment days (not so much my Honolulu Tower condo days), that everytime one of the neighbors sprayed (never a professional job, just one of those set-up-and-release cans), the roaches would flee that unit and infiltrate the others. Either fight back with the same method or coordinate your cause. Good luck!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The condo building I live in provides free roach traps to every unit on a quarterly basis. I rarely see a roach. Of course, it helps that there's no condo on one side of me...no one lives in the condo on the other side...there's no condo under mine...and there's no full time occupant in the unit above me!

Comment

All this talk of cockaroaches is making me homesick.....sounds just like the Hawaii I used to know!
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is a product you can buy through the internet that works great it is called "maxforce" read about it. I know a lot of chinese restaurants that use this stuff. We use it! We apply it all over and dont see any roaches for 2 months

http://www.cooperseeds.com/pestprodu...?prod=maxforce

also Garden House on Beretania and Pensacola got this roach spray that works good too. I havent seen roaches around da kitchen in weeks! It is a yellow can and cost $10 and the best hing it has NO SMELL!

Comment

Go to Y.Hata on Sand Island Road and get yourself a can of something called Code 6.

Someone who used to work there told me about it and I used in in a condo I owned when I first moved in. Cockroaches died and never came back.

The salesman also told me about a lunch wagon that had a problem and a health inspector told the owner to get rid of them. So he sprayed Code 6 in there at the end of the day.

Came back the next day and he needed a broom to get rid of all the dead roaches.

Comes with an applicator tube that you can use to spray the stuff into cracks, under cabinets, anywhere that anything can crawl into.

Comment

Working...
                              X