PETA... This is low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PETA... This is low

The organization PETA stands for the right thing...However, often times there members are just too extreme... here is another recent example....
    This was an underhanded approach at striking a low blow to someone famous...

http://tmz.com/search/?q=peta

I feel sorry for Beyonce

"The singer was taken by surprise Wednesday when she dined with some people she believed were fans who had won a meal with her in an eBay auction, but were actually representatives from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which, unbeknownst to Knowles, had placed the winning bid on the dinner date."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060616/...NlYwNtdm5ld3M-
    Last edited by damontucker; June 17, 2006, 10:27 PM. Reason: follow up

Re: PETA... This is low

It's actions like this, coupled with the crap (hi, paint at NYC's Fashion Week) they like to pull with other celebrities that makes them lose all credibility and takes away what would otherwise be a platform that many could support.

[shaking my head]

I have a craving for a big fat juicy rib-eye now.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

At least you're eating your dead animal. Never understood the fur thing, unless you live off the land in a hut or cave somewhere.

PETA's been after Beyonce for years. Interesting way to get access. I bet all celebrities are rethinking those "time with a star" auctions right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        At least you're eating your dead animal. Never understood the fur thing, unless you live off the land in a hut or cave somewhere.
        When my grandma died, I inherited a mink stole. I remember getting it, thinking, "WTF am I going to do with this?" It's been 8 years and I still haven't worn it. Everytime I think of fur, mink stoles, etc. etc. I can't help but think of Alexis and Krystle Carrington on Dynasty.

I've never understood the fur thing either, but we all know it's just an elitist thing...a way to show off you've got money.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Sounds like the PETA folks didn't get the dinner they bid on! I wonder if the eBay seller will be asked to reimburse the money!

But, yah...a cheap shot on the part of the PETA folks.

Comment

Ever wonder why the folks in PETA always pick on women wearing fur?

Let's see 'em crash a biker convention and get all in their faces for wearing leather jackets. I'd buy tickets to see that mess.

(Biker convention ... hmm, interesting concept. "Hi, my name's Bulldog. I sell aluminum siding. Here's my card.")

Comment

I had a neighbor in Boston once who walked across the street to my house wearing a sensible-looking gray cloth coat (a la Pat Nixon). Once she got to our front steps, she opened up the coat and revealed that it was lined in MINK. Her explanation? The fur was meant to keep her warm, so why wear it on the outside of her coat?

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                I've never understood the fur thing either, but we all know it's just an elitist thing...a way to show off you've got money.
                We do? When I lived in Korea, I had a fur coat (coyote) and wearing it was a real joy because I was finally warm. Those M.A.S.H. episodes where everyone is freezing are true. Waking up with ice on the inside of the windows was not unusual. Nothing keeps you warm like fur. That said, there is obviously an element of show off when stars who stroll from a heated limo to a heated event are layered in fur. And, of course, I moved to the tropics so no more fur for me - hopefully ever- but I wouldn't hesitate if I was suddenly forced to move to some place where the winters are really harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                  We do? When I lived in Korea, I had a fur coat (coyote) and wearing it was a real joy because I was finally warm. Those M.A.S.H. episodes where everyone is freezing are true. Waking up with ice on the inside of the windows was not unusual. Nothing keeps you warm like fur. That said, there is obviously an element of show off when stars who stroll from a heated limo to a heated event are layered in fur. And, of course, I moved to the tropics so no more fur for me - hopefully ever- but I wouldn't hesitate if I was suddenly forced to move to some place where the winters are really harsh.
                  A Goretex jacket lined with a few heaters and some batteries.... $500.00 (Washable)

Fur... $2000.00 (not washable)

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                    A Goretex jacket lined with a few heaters and some batteries.... $500.00 (Washable)

Fur... $2000.00 (not washable)
                    Think late 70's - not now. And, isn't that a petroluem based product using up valuable resources? Fur coat properly cared for will last through at least three generations - wonder if the goretex would? The fur coat doesn't need to be washed, just brushed! Wise use of resources should be considered. The fur coat is a recycled item which will last a very long time, my sister-in-law wears it now and I expect it will get passed along to one of her daughters.

Comment

PETA represents a portion of the liberal side of politics that will prevent Democrats from capturing the White House for years to come.

Democrats are slow to realize that their party has been kidnapped by the fringe. And they walk around with this mock confusion on their faces about the source of their lack of votes.

This tragedy manifests itself vividly in West Hawaii, where the activist mentality has effectively killed any hope of Kona ever holding it's own against the cabal in Hilo.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Democrats are slow to realize that their party has been kidnapped by the fringe.
                        Quite the opposite, imho; I wish the fringes had more voice in the Democratic Party. I think the party's failures are linked to ongoing attempts to be GOP Lite; ain't no way the Dems are going to out-Republican the Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                          Fact is, the warmest materials for the coldest weather are animal materials: down jackets, cashmere sweaters, wool hats, leather gloves, silk underwear, and fur coats. NASA and others can develop all their fancy synthetics, but the above remains true. Look at all those National Geographic pics of living in snow and notice what they wear.

Problem is, the stuff became symbols of luxury to be paraded about, instead of materials derived from living in a harsh environment.

On that same theme, the best breathable fabrics are plant-based, with cotton and hemp immediately coming to mind.

As someone who has lived in the tropics her whole life, I have no need for animal materials, but won't hesitate to drop good bucks on a really nice cotton kurta.

pax

Comment

I haven't seen any reference to sheep skin seat covers. Comments anyone?

Comment

As a vegetarian, I'm not very pleased with PETA. In my opinion, all they do is make spectacles of themselves by saying outrageous things and maintaining an unhealthy stereotype of rabid vegetarians that try to preach to everyone in a confrontational manner. I dislike people and organizations that I preceive as claiming to stand for something like vegetarianism, but they ruin it by making a bad feeling with the public through extremism.

Sometimes I think that PETA is being funded by various people and corporations that have vested interest in the meat industries, just so they can try to discredit vegetarians.

Comment

Working...
                              X