Naming Daughter Pele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Daughter Pele?

A friend of mine is considering naming her daughter Pele, after the Hawaiian Goddess of Volcanoes. She is part-Hawaiian and is doing it to honor her heritage, which she wasn't raised with. However, I've never met a Hawaiian girl with that name and I was wondering if it was taboo among native Hawaiians to name a girl by the name of the goddess?

Re: Naming Daughter Pele?

I know of women named Pele, each of whom claim the goddess in their genealogy.

I wouldn't name a child that, however, because its meaning is too strong. The goddess was not a benevolent goddess, but a malicious one. She is famous for her wrath, jealousy and destruction. Her sisters Hi'iaka and Hopoe were forever trying to heal the land in the wake of Pele's fresh lava.

Not every goddess should be regarded as a sexy one.

pax

Comment

I can think of three reasons why not to name her Pele, however being a taboo isn't one of them.

My suggestion, make it as one of her middle name(s).

Comment

I knew of a Pele too.

Being that she is, however, the great-granddaughter of Mary Kawena Pukui I'm sure she was named that for reasons dear to their family.
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Comment

Wasn't she the goddess of Brazilian soccer?

Seriously, though, I used to have a picture of Pele. An aerial shot of the volcano where you could make out a female profile in the lava. No Photoshop, as I had it in 1977.

Anyone know where to find a copy of this picture, or one like it?

-Dru

Comment

Dru - Out of respect for Madame Pele, I would ask that you be considerate of others here on the site before making comments about Pele. She is a much revered goddess in the Hawaiian culture and she is still very much alive today.

Mahalo!

Comment

I was always taught that a child's Hawaiian name should always be given to her by a kahuna if the family isn't spiritually Hawaiian. I guess because she's part Hawaiian it's okay, but I really think they should consult a kahuna or at least a knowledgable kupuna.

Can you imagine how mischievous a little girl named Pele will be?

Comment

Originally posted by smoot
                  I was always taught that a child's Hawaiian name should always be given to her by a kahuna if the family isn't spiritually Hawaiian. I guess because she's part Hawaiian it's okay, but I really think they should consult a kahuna or at least a knowledgable kupuna.

Can you imagine how mischievous a little girl named Pele will be?
                  hah? Who taught you that?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by smoot
                    Whaaaaat?

I share the same Hawaiian name as my aunt, grandma, great grandma, etc. etc. and it reflects my father's familial ties to the island of Hawaii.

Daddy named me. And I'm 100% sure he ain't no kahuna.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I work in a bookstore and people come in to look for Hawaiian baby name books. The older booksellers always mentioned to the (usually haole) couples that they should consult a kahuna if they'd like to give their kid a Hawaiian name. I've discussed this with people sometimes and everyone usually agrees. Is this wrong? (It makes perfect sense to me. )

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                        Whaaaaat?

I share the same Hawaiian name as my aunt, grandma, great grandma, etc. etc. and it reflects my father's familial ties to the island of Hawaii.

Daddy named me. And I'm 100% sure he ain't no kahuna.
                        Oh, I guess I didn't explain myself very well. Local families give their kids Hawaiian names all the time. Or like you said, your name was passed down for many generations. It's a spiritual thing.

I thought the original question was about a lady who had a Hawaiian ancestor but didn't have spiritual ties to Hawaii. In that case, I figured she was so far removed that she should consult someone. Especially when she wants to bestow a goddess' name on her child.

Comment

When it comes to naming babies in Hawaiian, the considerations are: the meaning of the name, making sure that the name isn't too much with kaona to bear heavy upon the child, that the spelling is correct, and that the giving of the name has about it honor, goodness and purity.

The spiritually Hawaiian and Kahuna stuff, eehhhh..

pax

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                            I used to have a picture of Pele. An aerial shot of the volcano where you could make out a female profile in the lava. No Photoshop, as I had it in 1977. Anyone know where to find a copy of this picture, or one like it?
                            Is this it?
                            Last edited by LikaNui; May 21, 2007, 07:29 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Dru:
                              I think the picture of Pele you're thinking of is probably a photo by G. Brad Lewis (aka "Volcanoman"). I own a copy of it myself, it's called "Pele Emerges."

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; June 20, 2006, 04:50 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X