Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me out - love song suggestions

Hey all -

So, I've been away from home for far to long and have fallen out of touch with the local music scene, and forgotten alot about what I used to listen to. I'm trying to throw together a CD for my girlfriend--love songs by local artists. I've got several songs in mind already, but I need a few more to round out the tracklist--older stuff that I've forgotten about, or maybe some newer stuff that I haven't heard. Any suggestions would be welcome. Here's some of the songs that are going on the CD, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: Symphony of Love (Fiji); Ku'ulei, Ku'uipo (Hapa); All My Life (Baba B); Leather & Lace (Jeff Rassmussen & Robi); Happy Just To Be With You (HSB); Love and Honesty (HSB). Any ideas you got, throw 'em out there! Thanks!

Re: Help me out - love song suggestions

"file sharing" help needed. AAAuuugghhh! ain't agonna touch dat one.

Comment

I'd recommend Keahiwai's "Falling," and C&K's "About You." I don't know where Kimo gets the idea you might be acquiring these through some illegitimate means, but if you are, please disregard my advice. Please don't steal music.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

(Just a few of many) fav'z of mine...

Follow Your Road - Seawind
        Never, Never, Never - Kaleo O Kalani
        Church In An Old Hawaiian Town - Braddah Waltah

www.Mele.com is one LEGITIMATE source suggestion.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

"My Ku'u Ipo" Darlene Ahuna. Chicken skin every time I hear it.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            I don't know where Kimo gets the idea you might be acquiring these through some illegitimate means,
            That ain't my idea. It's the idea of publicly supporting the idea of burning mp3's (material under copyright) on disc and giving them out to people. Which I heard in the news maybe once or twice; the industry frowns upon. also heard once or twice of people getting in trouble by selling their ipods that are fulla music. same kinda thing.
            (This is me not objecting very strenuously.)
            Last edited by kimo55; June 21, 2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Technically, mix tapes are illegal, too. But they're a storied tradition, particularly as part of the wooing process.

sckego hasn't asked for torrent seeds or filesharing tips, and didn't mention MP3s at all... just song suggestions. I'll give him (or her, who knows) the benefit of the doubt and hope the initial acquisition of the music is through legitimate means (including, yes, Mele.com). If, after he's happily grown his Hawaiian music collection, he compiles a love-song set for a sweetheart, I won't object very strenuously.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                [...]I'll give him (or her, who knows) the benefit of the doubt and hope the initial acquisition of the music is through legitimate means (including, yes, Mele.com).[...]
                I love Auntie M and Mele.com, but what about the iTunes Music Store where one can legally purchase single songs? I didn't realize burning one compilation CD was illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  I love Auntie M and Mele.com, but what about the iTunes Music Store where one can legally purchase single songs? I didn't realize burning one compilation CD was illegal.
                  Burning one CD for personal use is allowed by law; technically, burning it in order to give it to someone else is not permitted (and of course, selling it would be way over the line - but no one has suggested that would be the case here.) That violates the "unauthorized duplication" regulation you'll find on commercial recordings.

But just because it's "technically" illegal doesn't mean the RIAA (on behalf of the record companies) will spend any time or effort in pursuit of this one case.

Na Leo did an entire compilation of their own love songs, btw, titled "Love Is," and purchase of the CD actually grants you the legal right to use the songs for non-commercial use in things like wedding videos, etc. Very clever, anticipating the wishes of the consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    I love Auntie M and Mele.com, but what about the iTunes Music Store where one can legally purchase single songs?
                    I had initially mentioned iTunes, but decided to delete it lest I perpetuate my reputation as an Apple fanboy. That and the fact that Hawaiian music availability in the iTMS is not what it could be. Much better than it used to be, after Apple and Mountain Apple got all the wrinkles worked out, but there is still lots of music that you'll have to buy a physical CD to get.

Comment

Pretty Girl by Country Comfort
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Much thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I was able to find a few of them on iTunes (use of one kickass product does not a fanboy make ) and samples of most of the rest on Mele. Speaking of which, thanks for mentioning that site--I spent a good two hours on there last night browsing. Talk about a great resource for finding local music... they'll definitely be getting some business from me. Again, thanks for your ideas!

Comment

Is the very term "Apple Fanboy" perhaps a reason for the demise of this version of the Apple logo?
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                          X