Kids' parties are too extravagant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids' parties are too extravagant!

In the First Birthday Party Restaurant any suggestions?? thread, manoasurfer123 said:

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Ok... I know I'm gonna get some haters on me for saying this...

The first birthday thing here in Hawaii can get kind of ridiculous.
    Oh man, it's not just the first birthday parties. Wait till you get to the high school graduation parties. In-credible. Some of these parties have programs that are longer and more extravagant than most weddings I've been to. I don't understand how the parents can justify footing the bills for these things.

Re: Kids' parties are too extravagant!

Well, it's their money. Doing something for show? Probably a bit sad, but their prerogative. But why can't it be exactly what it is? A celebration or recognition of a child's accomplishments, or even continued existence? I mean, a couple might blow $3,000 on a cruise for themselves... what's so mind-boggling about spending that same cash on something for two hundred family members and friends?

The fact that some families have to take out loans to have first birthday parties -- a party that the guest of honor will never remember -- strikes me as a bit excessive, compared to a wedding or something... but on the other hand, if I had the resources, I can't say that I wouldn't want to go for the whole kit and kaboodle for various special occasions.

Comment

Re: First Birthday Party Restaurant any suggestions??

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      spending $3500.00 on a party for someone who won't remember it is kind of ridiculous. That money could be put in a college trust fund and by the child turns 18 it would be close to 4,000 - 5,000..
      ... and how about those folks who spend $10,000 PLUS for their wedding, then end up divorcing 6 months later? That's gotta' hurt.

Post Edit: Admin, you might as well move this to Glenn's new thread. Damned, you folks are fast!
      Last edited by Pomai; June 22, 2006, 08:45 AM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We got an invitation to the high school graduate's party across the street. They moved in a year or two ago after nearly losing the home to foreclosure. In fact, the house was empty for nearly 4 years! So now that the family is back, they party all the time over there. And it's OK. At first it was really bad, but they are in a culdesac so for us they are a little set back from our side of the street.
        Funny. We got an invitation to the graduation party that's this Saturday. My husband, a local boy raised here, said, "you know what that's about, right?" and honestly I just figured it was a way to reach out and be friendly to all of the neighbors. But he told me it was like an advanced apology for the big, loud party that will occur, the cars and giant trucks parked up and down the street and, no doubt, the stray beer bottles and cans littered around the neighborhood the next morning. I figured the kid wanted a gift! I just hope they clean up. They did a good job of cleaning up after their New Year's bash. Shoots. I figure I'll write her a check anyways, right?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

The only way I would have spent $10,000 + for my wedding was if I got to have one of those Walt Disney World princess weddings. After seeing that special on The Food Network about it I'm so sad I never had one! To me that is a wedding and an experience well worth the money.
          I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Something I have noticed more and more lately has been the "debut party" for a girl's 18th birthday, typically combined with a high school graduation party.

And man, it's extragavant. In addition to the girl herself, you need 18 girls and 18 boys in the (very very very long) program. I thought it was bad enough at weddings with five or six bridesmaids and the same number of groomsmen, but this is worse. There are more of them, and because they're younger they're even less articulate when they get up to the mike to give their congratulations. Oh god, shoot me now. Another drink please!

I am told that this is an old tradition in the Philippines... but it's new to me. I don't remember the Filipinas in my circle of friends having debuts when they turned 18. But maybe we were too poor to afford it. Or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              I am told that this is an old tradition in the Philippines... but it's new to me. I don't remember the Filipinas in my circle of friends having debuts when they turned 18. But maybe we were too poor to afford it. Or something.
              Quinceaneras parties are held throughout the Spanish speaking world.
              Sort of the equivalent of a bat mitzvah (and just as expensive, but without the religious connotations).

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Quinceaneras parties are held throughout the Spanish speaking world.
                Sort of the equivalent of a bat mitzvah (and just as expensive, but without the religious connotations).

Miulang
                oh. I dunno about that. back when i had a limousine company in Santa barbara, (lotta mexicans there) I was doing them alla time. And they started at the local church most of the time. It had heavy religious overtones. Maybe not in seattle, but in socal it definitely does.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  I am told that this is an old tradition in the Philippines... but it's new to me. I don't remember the Filipinas in my circle of friends having debuts when they turned 18.
                  Yep! My parents gave me a Huge event when I turned Sweet Sixteen! They also gave my first car ~ a Brand New 1972 Datsun 2 DR Sedan.

Ahhh..the memories.

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                    The only way I would have spent $10,000 + for my wedding was if I got to have one of those Walt Disney World princess weddings. After seeing that special on The Food Network about it I'm so sad I never had one! To me that is a wedding and an experience well worth the money.
                    I saw a special on Disney Weddings where the cost was $70,000 (but it included a tea party for the bride-to-be and her friends and also because the couple couldn't decide on chicken, fish or beef, they ordered chicken, fish and beef for each of their 100 guests so that the guests could pick what they wanted. All I could think of was 200 dinners going to waste.)

My nephew's first birthday party wasn't extremely extravagant but I did think it was a wee bit po-ho since he slept through it all. *g*

Comment

Well all I can say is those must be very proud parents. I wished my parents would have just come to my little league games on Saturdays when I was a kid, or the basketball games at the YMCA, or my Cub Scout Jamboree, hmmm they were too busy working.

I love my kids and I try to be there for all of them. I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars on parties but they know better anyway. My wife and I show our appreciation and admiration of our children by simply being their cornerstone in their lives. They know we're there for them and that alone gives them the security to know when they leave the nest, there's always a bed and a hot meal whenever they feel life is more than they can handle.

My oldest boy tells me he's glad we were there for him even when he didn't want us in it. It kept him straight and gave him a sense of maturity he needed as an adult to make those critical decisions on his own. His words brought tears to my eyes because raising him (the first of six) wasn't easy and I always wondered if being the disciplined parent was too harsh for him.

He's an adult now with good morals under his belt. I wish we could have given him a better party (family party at the in-law's garage in Wahiawa) when he graduated from Kamehameha Kapalama Campus, but he seemed to be greatful for just having family there to rejoice in his accomplishment.

Parties are great however the hosts mustn't lose track as to what the party is all about. Share the moment, not the excitement.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

my in laws spent over $10,000 on my keikis 1st bday party. thats including invitations, the leis bought to welcome everyone, (300 guest), reservation for the hall, catering expenses, hula show and a kids hula show, the clown/magician, decorating stuffs, and a band. this was all in monterey, ca. and all we (the parents) had to do was fly in and show up :P .. i thought it was a bit extravagant but hey i couldn't stop the grandparents...

Comment

When my last born (Jesse) hit one year old my wife and I said that we need to do something as this would be our last child. At $1500 that was a bit much for me to swallow but then again Jesse was our last and there would be no more after him.

We cooked everything and had friends supply the tents. It was a true outcoming of friends who not only came to enjoy in the party but also donated their time to help facilitate it. We all worked, we rested then we partied, then we cleaned up and that was that. No one there just came for the eats, everyone did something to make it all possible.

The biggest single expense was the inflatable castle bouncer we splurged on because there were going to be a lot of kids.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

This thread reminds me of a children's audition I held at least 10 years ago. One of the 3 year olds who auditioned, Erin, is the granddaughter of a friend of mine. With camera rolling I always talk story with the little ones and occassionally get an 'Art Linkletter moment' or two!

I asked Erin what she loved best about Grandmama. Erin put her finger to her temple and thought...and thought. I was expecting to hear about receiving a special present or a special party; something on somewhat of a grand scale in a 3 year old's mind.

All of a sudden Erin had a grin from ear to ear when she said..."When Grandmama picks me up from pre-school."

Whatta light bulb moment that was. Out of all the 'perks' children receive, it really is the little things that count.

..."When Grandmama picks me up from pre-school." That says it all!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              All of a sudden Erin had a grin from ear to ear when she said..."When Grandmama picks me up from pre-school."

Whatta light bulb moment that was. Out of all the 'perks' children receive, it really is the little things that count.

..."When Grandmama picks me up from pre-school." That says it all!
                              Mahalo for sharing that story tutusue! It touched my heart. Maybe someday, my grandchildren will hopefully say the same.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X