Domestic terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestic terrorism

Yesterday, the FBI arrested 7 men (6 in FL, 1 in Atlanta) for plotting to blow up the Sears Tower in Chicago, an FBI building in South Florida, and some other federal buildings elsewhere.

As the story is unfolding, it appears that these "Black muslim extremists" were the like gang that couldn't shoot straight. They were al Qaeda wannabes who even the feds say have no direct connection to al Qaeda. They were infiltrated by an FBI informant who reported that these bozos were asking for $50k, uniforms, etc. to blow up buildings. If they were trained by al Qaeda I'm sure they would be a little more paranoid about who they were talking to.

The reassuring thing is they are not directly related to al Qaeda but are "home grown" terrorists. The alarming thing is that there are groups in this country who admire what al Qaeda is doing and want to be associated with them.

"...Seven young men arrested in an alleged plot against the Sears Tower were part of a group of "homegrown terrorists" who sought to work with al-Qaida but ended up conspiring with an informant, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said today...

"...The alleged terrorists — five U.S. citizens, a legal immigrant from Haiti and a Haitian national who was in this country illegally — were expected to appear in federal court in Miami later today. They had taken an oath to al-Qaida and sought help from someone they believed was a member of the terrorist organization, the indictment alleged.

Said Gonzales: "The convergence of globalization and technology has created a new brand of terrorism. Today terrorist threats come from smaller more loosely defined cells not affiliated with al-Qaida but who are inspired by a violent jihadist message, and left unchecked these homegrown terrorists may prove to be as dangerous as groups like al-Qaida."..."

I'd rather that we rooted out domestic terrorists here in this country than trying to stop terrorists thousands of miles away from our soil.

Miulang

P.S. Representatives of the Muslim community in Florida say that this group of men is NOT representative of the general Muslim community...they are, in the words of one person, "people with a Bible in search of God." One interesting thing I saw on CNN last night was an "expert" who claims that many of the Muslim extremists are being recruited in prison.
    Last edited by Miulang; June 23, 2006, 07:51 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Domestic terrorism

More information on the "Miami 7".

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Representatives of the Muslim community in Florida say that this group of men is NOT representative of the general Muslim community...they are, in the words of one person, "people with a Bible in search of God."
      Muslims... with a Bible?!?

No wonder those folks said they're "not representative of the general Mulsim community".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

No wonder those folks said they're "not representative of the general Mulsim community".
        Must be one of those newfangled "hybrids"
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

It's probably nit-picking, but you do know that Muslims accept the Old Testament and the New Testament as (more or less) valid? It's just that after both of those were written, then God appeared to Mohammed and dictated the Koran to him, which is the final word on the subject.

Comment

I find it rather odd that neither of the local newspapers thought this story was important enough to publish (it's all over the TV and newspapers up here). Maybe it's because you guys are too far away from it all...

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              I find it rather odd that neither of the local newspapers thought this story was important enough to publish (it's all over the TV and newspapers up here). Maybe it's because you guys are too far away from it all...
              All right, Miulang, I think you're swell, really. But I'm certainly not the first to bristle at the various and constant comparisons you draw between Hawaii and Seattle or the Mainland, specifically in the context of, "Hawaii needs to do {x} better," or, "Here's how {y} is handled up here." Some of these comparisons bring up good points, but sometimes the implications are pretty insulting.

In this particular case, I take strenuous objection to the claim that we're out of touch with domestic terrorism threats... based solely on the absense of coverage in our local newspapers' online editions.

The reason you don't see the coverage is because the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser simply don't republish their "National and World" news sections on the web -- which would be redundant given other available sources (i.e. wire stories). But it is patently false to say "neither of the local newspapers thought this story was important enough to publish."

The Miami arrests and Sears Tower plot were given prominent play in both newspapers. Page A-3, front of the "Nation and World" section of the Honolulu Advertiser, and page A-11, again front of the "Nation and World" section of the Star-Bulletin. It was there among dozens of other stories of national and global importance. So newspaper readers -- as well as viewers of the evening news, for that matter -- were quite informed of this story.

I'm now worried that you've based your "out of touch" impression of Hawaii citizens on the wholly understandable omission of national and world news from our news outlets' web sites. You might not see the coverage, but we live here, and we do.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                I take strenuous objection to the claim that we're out of touch with domestic terrorism threats... based solely on the absense of coverage in our local newspapers' online editions.
                The reason you don't see the coverage is because the Star-Bulletin and Advertiser simply don't republish their "National and World" news sections on the web
                Minor correction: the Advertiser website does have Nation/World news at the bottom of their main page. Other than that... I agree with everything you wrote, Ryan.
                Guess we'd better go back into our little grass shacks and be blissfully ignorant of world events, so Miulang can continue.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Minor correction: the Advertiser website does have Nation/World news at the bottom of their main page.
                  Well, that's a dynamically updated web-only wire feed, meaning that whenever Gannett, AP, or whomever pushes a major story out, it shows up there almost automatically, several times during the day. It's still not representative of the volume and presentation of national and world news included in the printed edition of the newspaper. Could there be more U.S. and world coverage in the local media (print or broadcast)? Sure. But it sure ain't wholly absent.

Comment

When I posted my comment, almost 24 hours had passed since the news first broke. I'm sure the local news outlets started covering it more over the weekend (I was blissfully incommunicado on a weekend jaunt).

Miulang

Comment

About those homegrown terrorists next door...

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                      X