Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescinding ROTC Degrees?

I'm assuming here so I may be totally wrong but here goes:

Watada joined the Army in 2003 just before graduating from HPU. Did he get his degree thru a ROTC scholorship? If so can the US Army pull his degree for failing to complete his military obligation?

On the other hand, if he got his degree without the Military, then I guess the degree is his to keep.

I want to keep this thread locked onto this discussion and keep the opinions of why he did what he did out of this.

If a ROTC scholarship resulting in a degree resulting in an officer's commission resulting in following thru with the Military's mission is not followed thru with, then can there be a breach of contract and subsequent punishment administered as obligated by the terms of the contract?

Now if the Military's mission isn't as described as true when Watada enlisted can his obligation to the Military be deemed invalid? If so I would think Watada will get off scott free. However I'm thinking the Military's mission can be whatever the Commander In Chief wants it to be and the UCMJ would be very vague as to any specifics of what a mission could be.

Whether the mission is right or wrong, if he doesn't follow thru with his obligation to the oath he swore by, he can be held in contempt and be punished accordingly by the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) and the US Constitution has no bearing in his case. The military follows it's own Code of Conduct and by volunteering for the Military you agree to it's terms.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Watada and his degree

HPU & ROTC:

Looks like you can register for ROTC courses at HPU, but you attend them at UH-Manoa. There sure wasn't any ROTC there back in 1978-1979 when I was attending the school.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: Rescinding ROTC Degrees?

so if you get your degree thru a ROTC program, get your commission then refuse to follow thru after the fact, can your degree be taken away or nullified?

Comment

You cannot be stripped of an educational award on the basis of conduct in the military. Even though he was in the ROTC program. If he is release and decommissioned he will have to pay the tution in full back to the USARMY. The army however has no jurisdiction over the Department of Education either Nationaly or State.

It is sort of like if you are put through NJP or Court Martial, you can have you rank striped but the military cannot take away your awards no matter what...
        "Canada shall be a refuge from militarism"
        Prime Minister Piere Trudeau

Comment

Boy what a way to earn a degree. Maybe Watada should continue his Master's program under world politics and do his thesis on his experiences. I'm sure some university would be glad to give him a scholarship based on that.

Comment

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:w...s&ct=clnk&cd=1

I recall hearing from military friends that if you receive an education through a military scholarship, you owe two years of service for every one year of education and if you fail to fulfill your military commitments while you are enrolled in college or grad school, they will disenroll you from the program and you still have to serve your time. If you refuse to serve your time after receiving your education, it's basically a breach of contract and you have to reimburse the military for whatever they gave you plus interest. I've never heard that they nullify your degree.

eta: heh, I'm a slow google~r. I was looking for a link to back up my recollection.
            Last edited by Adri; June 23, 2006, 03:25 PM.

Comment

From what I remember about Lt. Watada, he wasn't in the ROTC program but rather he took the Officer's Candiate School route. I don't think the Army paid for his time at HPU.

Comment

Working...
              X