Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Retail Complex Planned For Kona

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap.../1079/BUSINESS

Local developers plan to begin building an open-air regional mall next year on the Big Island, introducing new stores — possibly including Target — to West Hawai'i and expanding the retail boom hitting the area.

This project is planned north of the old industrial area, below Kmart.
    It will be built over 5 years, in three phases. It will be 1/4 bigger than
    Prince Kuhio Plaza in Hilo after completion in 2012.

It should be interesting whom is going to anchor this complex. Target
    is obviously one of the bigger rumors.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Re: New Retail Complex Planned For Kona

If Target is the anchor...it's going to a budget type mall...

I Imagine Macys, Sears, or someother Big Mainland retailer will anchor it.

Target in the mainland is a real "tacky" store... Popular... but Tacky...

All those Red Dots!

Comment

I think Target is nice then WalMart. So if not Target then Mervyns, which owns Target. Or Kohl's. I really like Kohls. So maybe will Kona have the first Bath&Body and Victoria Secrets?
      ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        If Target is the anchor...it's going to a budget type mall...

I Imagine Macys, Sears, or someother Big Mainland retailer will anchor it.

All those Red Dots!
        We already have a Macys here in Kona. It is unlikely Sears would build a store
        here in Kona, as we already have a Kmart (Kmart and Sears are the same company). It would be cool if Best Buy or Circuit City built a store in this
        new complex.
        The Kona Blog

Comment

I believe a project of this magnitude would not be contemplated if the developers studies had shown otherwise. I was saying the same thing when Home Depot AND Lowes opened here in Kona. I didn't see any reason why we'd have two home improvement retailers. But it seems both are doing well, and HPM is still around. On top of that,its not like this project will immediately have 630,000 sq feet of space. I believe it is wise thing to build this in phases,over 5 years.

Personally I believe this location for this project is
          a perfect location. Unlike the defunct Clifto's project, this project
          will be in the Kailua-Kona urban core. On top of that, hopefully in the
          next 6 years the roadway infrastructure in the Kailua-Kona urban core
          will be better.As for finding employees, that is going to be a huge problem.
          But again, I don't have a crystal ball and see what will happen in the
          next 6 years.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

If Clifto's project had been built, imagine all the people from up north (Palisades and beyond) who might NOT have had to come all the way into town to shop.

But I guess if we pack all the retail uses within a mile of each other, that is the best way to insure congestion at the core of Kailua-Kona. Good thinking.
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Cliftos was a wrong project for the wrong time. It probably won't be until
              2009-2010 that Queen Kaahumanu widening will be completed. Cliftos would've
              exacerbated an already bad situation. On top of that Palamanui will have
              a retail complex in its plans. Plus there is two more shopping centers under
              construction in South Kohala,plus another one eventually at Four Seasons Hualalai. In short Cliftos was not needed.

From my view, the proposed shopping complex location is perfect. It is close
              to the Kailua-Kona urban core. Hopefully enough roadway improvements will be in place to support this project in 6 years. I'm betting there will be.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                Eh, I resemble that statement!

With two small children I'm there a lot. They consistently have the best quality and prices on the things I buy most. Kailua Kona could really use one and so could Hilo.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                X