Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a move to the Big Island's east side... Puna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a move to the Big Island's east side... Puna?

Thanks for reading this and taking your time to respond! I truly appreciate it and I apologize for this LENGTHY post.

My family and I currently live in Anchorage, AK. I am an elementary teacher (although I’m perfectly happy to look into other career paths – tourism, service...) and my husband is nearing the completion of his BA in Business Management. We are a young family (We are 26 and our children are ages 1 & 4) and my husband and I are both just starting our careers - meaning we're ready to move out of Alaska and make a fresh start elsewhere...

We're looking into the Puna area. Realistically we wouldn’t be moving for another 1-2 years, either summer 2007 or summer 2008. We are very laid back and adaptable and we tend to make friends easily. We don’t consider ourselves religious and we’re on the liberal side of many/most issues– SO is Puna the right place for us to establish ourselves? Also we will be relocating with about $25,000 either to help us live until we find jobs, or hopefully for a down payment on a home.

Here are some reasons we are thinking of moving (PLEASE dispel any myths/misconceptions that we have) :

Single-family homes seem attainable for middle/working class (plenty in the lower $200,000 range in Puna), slow-paced life style, warm weather, plenty of outdoor activities (hiking, fishing...), growing area, commutable distance to Hilo...?

Are the above ideas accurate?

We are realistic that Hawaii/Puna is not a “stress-free perfect paradise.” We do understand there are many drawbacks about Puna (or Hawaii in general)– Again, PLEASE dispel any misconceptions:

We understand that there is a higher cost of living (being from Alaska, we can somewhat relate), high state taxes, isolation (again, being from Alaska, we can relate), homes having the possibility of being in a past/future “lava path,” mold/mildew issues in homes, some homes in the Puna area have “rain catchers” for water...

We understand that this area gets a LOT of rain – although I think I'm used to that (I grew up on the northern, northern coast of California where it was grey and rainy for several months each year and many days each month), but does Puna get most of its rain at night? Are residents able to usually enjoy the day doing outdoor activities? What about sunshine... Would residents describe the weather as pleasant or is cloudy & grey mostly?

Did anyone see the article in the Honolulu Adviser titled, “Rural Puna district needs help” ? Here’s a link: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln42a.html Granted, it looks to be about 2 years old, but worrisome nonetheless.

And for just a few more questions: Are families (not just retirees) moving to Puna and are they succeeding in finding homes & jobs? Are mainlanders welcomed or discouraged in the Puna area? This is my silliest question yet, but I have to ask: are there poisonous/venomous insects or spiders that residents have problems with either indoors OR outdoors? I’m not at all bothered by cockroaches – I lived in Central America as a high school exchange student one summer and bugs in general don’t creep me out; also the mosquito is known as Alaska's state bird so we're used to those too. However, should I be concerned about my young children with other insects/spiders... how about that venomous centipede I’ve heard about?

Also, I am almost finished reading the book “So You Want to Live in Hawaii” by Polancy. It seems to be a realistic, straight-forward book, except out-dated housing prices, but has anyone read it? If so do they have opinions on it?

Finally, finally... we are planning to visit the Puna area this spring (March 2007) to experience Puna life first hand. We plan to stay in a “non-touristy” condo (we’ve seen several options on http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...aii/big-island) to really experience Puna life, not a Puna vacation. Any further suggestions on that would be most helpful. My husband and I have been to Kauai and Maui a couples of times, but never to the Big Island.

OK, you’ve actually read this entire post and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. All feedback is appreciated.
    Again, Mahalo!
    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Re: Considering a move to the Big Island's east side... Puna?

Yes Puna has its downsides and upsides too. But that happens everywhere.
    My best advise is come here and visit. Check out all the areas of the Big Island.

Here is another bunch of forums you can try if you don't get desired results here:

http://www.konaweb.com/
    http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/default.asp
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

UpNorth,

Here is a link of Hawaii online newspapers-
      http://www.50states.com/news/hawaii.htm

The Hawaii Tribune-Herald out of Hilo might help with some info.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorth
        and our children are ages 1 & 4)
        If you are planning on staying in Hawaii for awhile, keep in mind that your children will soon be of school age. Do some serious internet research on our public schools before you choose where in Hawaii you are going to settle. (Unless you are planning in your budget for the private school or home school options for the next 20 years while your children grow up.)

Comment

hi upnorth, It seems to me like you have a good idea what Puna is all about. Here's a detailed look at moving to puna http://www.andhawaii.com/big-island/movingtopuna.html

I live in Puna. It's nice more often than not (the weather).

Plenty of people are finding homes here and nice ones in your range.

There are not many problematic insects or spiders here. There is the centipede, but if you have dogs or chickens around the house or are up on even modest stilts in a newer home it's not a big issue. I have a young son who loves bugs and we just educated him about this one as early as possible.

Some people think mainlanders moving into Puna is the scourge of our times, and I think we all would like to see the current rate of growth slowed because it does bring problems, but this isn't a huge issue.

oh, and that article is grossly overstated and dramaticized.
          Last edited by psyck; July 11, 2006, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorth
            are there poisonous/venomous insects or spiders that residents have problems with either indoors OR outdoors?
            The centipede is the only common poisonous creature. There are generally very few mosquitoes here, unless you happen to live close to a pond/bog. There are brown recluse spiders, but I'm not sure of their distribution.

Rain happens any time of day or night, though statistically more at night. A major annoyance of living in Hilo is that you can't go for a nice evening/nighttime walk because it will probably rain on you. Leather, acetate, photographs, videotapes, some plastics, and other things will grow mold and metal will corrode. Everything rots here.

Anchorage is a nice city. I may move there next.
            Last edited by beaker; July 12, 2006, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X