Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build The Track!

Hello everyone,

As many of you are aware, the push for a new racing facility at Parcel 9 isn't dead. It's simply been scaled back in size and scope to the original plan that provides for a much larger, and safer duplicate of the operations at Hawaii Raceway Park. There is no longer a push for a world class facility, simply a local track to support local needs.

The entire story is a long and complicated one, one that stretches back all the way to 1990...basically the event that started this entire process.

After pouring through the public documents in an effort to better understand the events unfolding before us, I've come up with this Flash timeline to show the process of the effort to relocate HRP to the Parcel 9 property at Kalaeloa. I've basically highlighted what I believe are the key moments that help to define how this process has occurred and why it has taken the direction it has.

There are specific points on the timeline that will provide a brief description of the event or document occuring on that date. You may view the description by hovering over it, and then clicking it to view the linked document. Each point has an official and public legal document that is the basis for the point in the timeline. I think you'll find it extremely interesting.

It's an extremely informative read, and I highly encourage everyone to take the time to read through each and EVERY point, and document thoroughly, as that's where the real meat of the timeline is.

HRP Relocation Timeline

I took the time to do this, because I feel that the more we understand about where we have come, we can know where we need to go. I believe these documents help support the effort to establish a new racing facility at Parcel 9, and show the huge amount of effort taken to achieve that goal. There are alot of naysayers, but if anything, this shows that there has been a huge amount of dedication to this project, and that this has been a long battle to bring a new racetrack for all of us.

I appreciate your comments, and hope that after a good and thorough read, your understanding of the situation will have improved. Feedback is highly welcome, but I hope that you will read ALL the documents before you provide it.

Thanks,

Michael Kitchens

P.S. I'd appreciate everyone forwading this around, as the more people get this information, the better. Thanks again.

Re: HRP Relocation Timeline, the push for Parcel 9 continues...a flash timeline.

By the way...maybe I should clear something up as well...

This facility will use NO tax money...it is all being done by private investors. The tax bills are dead, and they're not going to be revived, BUT the project is still moving forward:

the efforts to acquire Parcel 9 at Kalaeloa to create a racing facility dedicated to local needs and local racers are moving forward. Once acquired, the construction of all required racing surfaces and support amenities will be completed as soon as possible, creating a duplication of the existing operations at Hawaii Raceway Park with updated infrastructure, safety and communications systems consistent with industry standards and insurance underwriting requirements. This facility will rely on private investors to fund the project.

Comment

Re: HRP Relocation Timeline, the push for Parcel 9 continues...a flash timeline.

The timeline tends to "runaway" when you move the mouse down. so it is hard to remember where you left off if you read another document then go back.

Thanks for the info. Great job.

We all have been battling for a new race track since Waihee was in office. I told everyone back then to push Former Gov. Waihee to help us, but everyone had their own personal agendas as we found out later. He was easy to talk to at the race track and we pushed him a bit more I think something more solid would have gotten done sooner. At the time everyone who was involved said don't push Waihee too much he is going to do something. he did something but the wrong way.

Luckily the shops I talked to are not suffering too much since everyone is still "Hot Rodding" but everyone is getting itchy for a place to let off some steam.

Comment

Yeah...I apologize about the timeline's speed...I'm a newbie at flash.

A good trick is to hold the mouse button down on whatever point you're reading...then move it off of it and release it. That will keep it from sliding around, and it will actually allow it to follow your mouse around slowly. Try that if it helps.

It's good to hear from someone that was around when the old push for the track started. It's been a long time coming...I think alotta people nowadays think this is all a new thing but it's been going on for what seems like forever.

The problem right now is we can't get DHHL to agree to a land swap or exchange...that's what's holding this all back, unfortunately. Once we acquire the lands, then it's on like donkey kong! We're soooo close, if we could just somehow convince them. I kinda don't understand why they wouldn't want to swap lands...
        You'd think they'd exchange for any land that matches the worth of the land...the point is to provide great homes and land for Native Hawaiian's right? I mean, who would want to live THAT close next to an airport, a military one at that! Nutz.

But from what I understand, DHHL has done a great job on providing for Native Hawaiians, so I'm not knocking them, just confused on the issue.

Comment

Build The Track!

Hello all,

I'm Michael Kitchens, and I'm a representative from the Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council. I know there's been some minor discussion here on the efforts to build a racing facility on Oahu, and I figured I'd post here as well, just so I can help spread the word about what OMAC is and what we're trying to do. Mods, please move this if it's inappropriate. We're not trying to sell anything, just garner support for the racing community. Thanks.

I'm passing out flyers for informationa purposes on what it's going to take to get a racetrack built on Oahu. I hope the mods don't mind it. We also have free stickers for anyone that wants to show support for bringing a racetrack back to Oahu. They're free, like I said, and we have different colors if you like:

Available only in Yellow, OMAC Logo (white coming soon!) (2x6)

http://www.hawaiitalks.net/photopost...OMACLOGOv2.jpg

Availablle in Red, White & Yellow! (2.5x16)

http://www.hawaiitalks.net/photopost...ldthetrack.jpg

Contact webmaster@hawaiitalks.net for yours! We can also reprint these in any particular size if you like.

http://www.hawaiitalks.net/images/mi...sOMACsmall.jpg
          Last edited by ArchangelX; June 26, 2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Re: Build The Track!

Thank you Admin! Sorry!

Comment

Hello all,

July 11th Meeting minutes have been posted at www.buildthetrack.com Please pass it along.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Kitchens
              Representative.
              Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council

Comment

Although not a final decision...this goes along with the Record of Decision (ROD) for the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) in 2000 that was issued. This is good news for racers!

Those of you that have asked for stickers, and haven't received them...we ran out, and I'm working on getting more, you have my apologies, I know it's been a few weeks and I apologize. We're running off of our own money right now.

*courtesy of Dave (Udrivecrap)
                Inouye doesn't expect carrier in Isles.
                Sunday, August 27, 2006
                By William Cole
                Advertiser Military Writer

U.S. Sen. Daniel K. Inouye gave a pessimistic assessment of Hawai'i's chances of getting the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, saying, "frankly, at this point, I would not assume that it would be here." "It would appear at this juncture that the place that has facilities that could take in the ship with minimal renovations would be Puget Sound" in Washington state, Inouye told The Advertiser last week.

During a stop in Honolulu last week, Navy Secretary Donald C. Winter said the Nimitz-class nuclear aircraft carrier would be homeported at one of four Pacific locations: Hawai'i, Guam, San Diego or Puget Sound.

Hawai'i's senior senator, the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Defense subcommittee, said the decision still has to be made, and he doesn't know what location will be selected, but, "I don't want my constituents to start spending money now on the possibility it's going to be here.

"I think the people of Hawai'i would expect me to be as realistic as possible and frank."
                Last edited by admin; August 27, 2006, 02:43 PM. Reason: Reduced article text. Do not post full articles.

Comment

I like motorsports a lot, and I regret the track closing..... But I cannot support State or County sponsorship of a medium that is traditionally a private enterprise in the US. I remember being at the Leg. this last session and seeing the track advocates marching around, and then I heard something that really ticked me off. Someone (can't remember who, but they were wearing one of your shirts...) said that if the track closed then there would be more street-racing.... In my mind I see NO reason to support a class of people who threaten to break the law if their demands are not met. I sincerely hope that whoever thought up the reasoning that, the lack of a track == illegal streetracing, is not a part of your organization (and if they were I recommend you kick them out). It seriously hurts your cause.

Jewlipino

Comment

Seeing as how we didn't have shirts...I don't think it's us you're talking about. SORT most likely. That isn't part of our agenda, anyways, and OMAC has never threatened in such a way. We're professionals, that are doing this for our children and our way of life. I believe you're misinformed on exactly what we're fighting for, and why we're fighting for it.

If I may, I suggest you go read more about the subject, because there's more to the story than just that. www.buildthetrack.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                      I like motorsports a lot, and I regret the track closing..... But I cannot support State or County sponsorship of a medium that is traditionally a private enterprise in the US. I remember being at the Leg. this last session and seeing the track advocates marching around, and then I heard something that really ticked me off. Someone (can't remember who, but they were wearing one of your shirts...) said that if the track closed then there would be more street-racing.... In my mind I see NO reason to support a class of people who threaten to break the law if their demands are not met. I sincerely hope that whoever thought up the reasoning that, the lack of a track == illegal streetracing, is not a part of your organization (and if they were I recommend you kick them out). It seriously hurts your cause.

Jewlipino

They can't kick him out of OMAC because he's their leader!

“I’m extremely concerned,” said Oakland, who estimates ticket attendance at 165,000 annually. “Technology has changed drastically, and people feel more secure, especially younger people, (when pushing their cars to the limit).” Oakland added, “It is in my opinion that if the track was to close, three new racetracks would open: H1, H2, and H3.”

http://kapio.kcc.hawaii.edu/upload/fullnews.php?id=222

What the former leaseholder failed to mention in that article. Was that the reason the track is closed is not because the lease ended (which is what he was telling everyone). It was because he had a buy option, and sold it to commercial developer Irongate Capital, for his own personal profit. Leaving the racers of Oahu with no place to go.
                      Last edited by tracksuporter; October 10, 2006, 12:02 AM.

Comment

June 3rd: Build The Track! Motorsports Show@Aloha Tower! Need help & custom vehicles!

Hello all,

On Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 at the Aloha Tower Marketplace from 10 till 4PM, the Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council will be holding the Build The Track! Motorsports Show (tentative name). This show will be in support of the efforts to build a new raceway facility on Oahu, and will seek to inform and educate the general public about the different types of motorsports that have occured on the island, and our plight.

The media coverage will be huge, and the list of entertainment events tentatively scheduled are:

RC Drift & Grip Racing
                        Live Stage Band
                        Radio/DJ support from Visionary Entertainment
                        Picture opportunities for the kids to take in real race cars
                        Informational videos pertaining to the efforts to Build The Track!
                        Free stickers!
                        Possible Charity Event

We'll be adding or taking events away as we get closer to the date...we're still early in the planning stages.

Setup time will currently start at 5 to 6AM...vehicles will be placed in and around Aloha Tower. We're aiming to show 30 different vehicles (plus 10 as backups for no-shows) related to the motorsports community. We need a cross section of vehicles ranging from drag, drift, dirt, go-kart, motocross, road racing, etc..etc. Due to the overwhelming response and the suggestions by some of you, we're going to have a mini car show of about 55 cars or so give or take...I'm completing a registration form at the moment, and when it's said and done, I'll open it up for you guys to submit. Keep in mind that if you commit to this, please don't be a no-show, as it will hurt the show, and we'll be unable to really put on a good effort. The media prescence should be huge.

The mini-show will be held in the terminal where they do valet parking...right directly behind the palm tree sidewalk leading up to the thower...we'll be able to fit about 30 cars there, Hot Import Nights Style, and another 25-30 on the pier in what we're going to call "Tuner Row". The cars within the terminal will be able to open their doors, hoods, trunks, and show off in true car show fashion. Setup has changed to 5 or 6 in the morning.

Keep in mind, we'll probably be swamped with registrations...since it's free, so we're going to pick what we would consider the most modified, well done cars outta the group. Please don't be offended if you're not picked.

If you have or know of anyone who has a RACE vehicle and would like to volunteer to show off your pride and joy, please let me know by either posting or emailing me at ht@buildthetrack.com The event will be manned, and we'll have security there as well, so you can rest easy knowing that your ride will be safe.

We'd really appreciate if the motorsports community could get behind this show and really help us to make a presence. It's the only auto show DEDICATED to helping to Build The Track! It will also be free entry...and is not for profit.

Thanks to Aloha Tower Marketplace, Visionary Entertainment, and SCCA National for helping out with the sponsorship of this event. If your company would be interested in helping out as sponsors or anything else, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you,

Michael Kitchens
                        Chairman
                        Oahu Motorsports Advisory Council
                        www.buildthetrack.com

Added:

Our registration page is UP! Remember that this is a FREE car show...no admission price...just simply your parking fee! Go here to register, and we HIGHLY recommend posting a photo of your vehicle (with the included gallery link in the Disclaimer)to better your odds of getting a spot!

Simply follow the link, fill in your information, and we'll get in touch with you soon! Thanks for supporting the efforts to "Build The Track!"

Click here to submit your vehicle for FREE registration to the Build The Track! Motorsports Show!

Comment

Re: June 3rd: Build The Track! Motorsports Show@Aloha Tower! Need help & custom vehicles!

Didn't realize this thing was still here...lol....

Flyer #1 has been completed...this is a post planning flyer with more information to come!

Comment

Wow, Mike...you're here too!
                            Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ahhhh...yepz. The internet is a tiny place.

Comment

Working...
                              X