Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

On page 9 of the Honolulu Weakly dated June 2nd, Weakly editor Lesa Griffith has a brief blurb about Cecilio & Kapono. In it, she writes "From an era that gave us Kalapana, Country Comfort, the Beamer brothers and Olomana, C&K are the last men standing."
    That would be startling news to everyone except Country Comfort, as the others are alive and well and still have thriving careers.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

You ought to write to her and tell her. I'll back you up.

Comment

Re: Honolulu Weakly insults top Hawaiian musicians

"From an era that gave us Kalapana, Country Comfort, the Beamer brothers and Olomana, C&K are the last men standing."

Well, to be fair to the writer, let's review:

-- Olomana: originally Jerry Santos & Robert Beaumont, until Beaumont's death in 1982. Santos and the new Olomana still perform every weekend, if their website is up-to-date.

-- Country Comfort: Lead singer/songwriter Billy Kaui died in 1978.

-- Kalapana: Mackey Feary, lead singer, left the band in 1978. They got back together a few times in the 80s, but he finally died tragically in 1999. Kalapana still performs; they just released their "Blue Album" a few years back.

-- Beamer Brothers: Keola and Kapono haven't released an album of music together since 1982. Do they perform together anymore?

I guess the HW writer was kinda harsh to the surviving members of Olomana and Kalapana, but I can see where she was coming from.

Comment

Working...
      X