Say Something Nice About The USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Something Nice About The USA

I know this concept of seeing our nation in a positive light will be alien to some, but as we approach our 230th birthday I thought it would be interesting to ask what is something good about our country and/or citizens.

Sometimes posters here and their constant berating of our country remind of my grandmother who was a stern woman and very harsh with her children (us grandkids got all the love) never saying a kind word or offering encouragment - it wasn't that she didn't love them she just wanted them to be perfect. I once asked her why and she told me that she knew they could be better and they should be better and it was her job to remind them of that. It was a sad attitude to take because all of her children were wonderful people who did much good in their lives.

Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble but hopefully you get the point. We are all aware that our nation is far from perfect but perhaps we can take a moment to think about some of the good things about America.

My contribution will be to mention the oddly effective pairing of former presidents George HW Bush and Bill Clinton as ambassadors-at-large. A great example of overcoming ideological differences to focus on doing good.

Re: Say Something Nice About The USA

Originally posted by glossyp
    Anyway, that was a bit of a ramble but hopefully you get the point. We are all aware that our nation is far from perfect but perhaps we can take a moment to think about some of the good things about America.
    I love that we have the ideals that we do (free speech, privacy, and other delicious things), and that we try to codify them into law... and that most of the debate is over whether we're living up to them or not -- not whether they're ideals worth having.

I love almost all those things that make you say, "Only in America," whether it's said with pride, or with a smirk. Because good or bad, a lot of times, it's true.

And while I know I'm going to hell for this (particularly in your shadow, here, glossyp), I love that unnatural abomination known as American cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
      We are all aware that our nation is far from perfect but perhaps we can take a moment to think about some of the good things about America.
      I happen to believe most Americans have no idea how living in the U.S. actually compares to living in other developed nations. I often hear people saying things like "the greatest country in the world" and they themselves have never been outside of it.
      http://www.lonelyplanet.com/passport/resolution.html

I'll say something nice though. We have lots of space.
      Last edited by sinjin; June 27, 2006, 09:52 AM.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I like the obvious lack of cafe bombings.
        I like the general sense of law & order that pervades our society.
        I like voting.
        I like freedom of speech.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

We have better web sites.

Comment

First of all, Mahalo glossyp for a Wonderful Idea of a thread!

I love waking up to Freedom.

I love knowing I can speak whats on my mind.

I love writing and expressing my views.

From across our great Nation, we live different lives. On a day in September, we came together as one. We must remember always...how the flags rose and flew. We must for the sake of those who perished never forget we are one. Lynn Vasquez

I am fortunate to have been born in the United States of America!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My mommy always said that if it weren't for my daddy bringing her to the US, she'd still be in the Philippines with rotten teeth.

And of course, there'd be no Lei Liko.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

All of the above....

Been to many different countries, some of this will make sense, some of this will strike home.

1. Gas is still less than $3.00 a gallon (sorry So Cal)
                2. Anyone, regardless of race, creed, religion, or caste can get an education
                3. The ability to obtain a concealed weapons permit
                4. The ability to borrow money, AKA a mortgage, for something that would be difficult to save for and then be able to keep the profits.
                5. Being able to put the used toilet paper in the toilet versus in a trash can.
                6. Be able to have more than one car in the household
                7. Drinking water right out of the tap
                8. National Parks
                9. Diversity
                10. Lance Ito cuz that is what I would look like if I grew a beard, so I am not going to grow one......
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Live anywhere else for a while and you will never run out of nice things to sayabout the USA!

Comment

<<7. Drinking water right out of the tap>> Lucky you...not an attractive option here in SoCal (unless you like the taste of pool water)

1. The right to say our president is a moron and not get shot or beheaded for it :-)
                    2. Howard Stern
                    3. Hollywood....for all it's obnoxiousness, when we turn on a tv or see a movie...chances are pretty good that it was made there.
                    Last edited by tikiyaki; June 27, 2006, 07:57 PM.
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

DItto everything already said. Emphasis on you can voice your displeasure with the US governemnt and it's leaders and yet have police force protect your right to your freedom of speech. Wouldn't want to try that in most of the other countries. True freedom, where you can sit back and bitch and moan about things, take action to change what you don't like, or leave. Not everyone in this world have those choices. God Bless the USA.
                      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Like the street of my childhood... Home, with memories of Mom cooking tripe stew in that big pot - the one I wish I went kapu before my sister did... like the wide street, lined with big, family homes that I played on... like the Hawaiian kids, Pake kids, Japanee, and Portagee kids I played kick-da-bucket with, fought with, got in trouble with... and the canal I went moss sliding in... gosh... Like Hawai'i is my blood and soul - so is America - it's just the 'bigger street' I grew up on.
                        MEMRI TV:Middle East Media Research Institute
                        Jihad Watch
                        Amil Imani's Website

Comment

That we have a public education system that is available to all our children. Sure it can be improved, but it's there and it's pretty effective for those willing to apply themselves.

Comment

Ditto on the stuff written above -- we may have disagreements but they rarely come to blood, despite how much the media like to focus on the cases that do.

Of all the bad things I could say about various areas of the country, in most places you approach people with aloha and will receive respect in return. I've had plenty of bad experiences, and sometimes it seems like everyone's having a bad day, but I think in general people tend to be pretty cool.

I think the country stands for some very noble and honorable things. It is saying something that it stands for even more of them now than it did when it started, in a lot of ways (women's rights, laws against racism, etc).

I think it's very sad that there are always people standing there waiting to tear it all down in the name of their own bigotry and greed. And when I criticize my country, it's not because I think it sucks. It's because I think we should never stop looking at how we can be even better.

Comment

Bard, for being a young "whippersnapper", you have an old, and very good soul. Must be that laidbackness of the Portland area. Wish there were more people like you. Then maybe this country would get back to being a kinder, decent country than it is now.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X