The Wayback Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wayback Machine

Name a group or artist that you wish you could have seen live, but whatever reason, can't see now.

For me, the Police. All of that talent, all of that tension, it just wasn't gonna last that long and it surely lived up to that.
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Re: The Wayback Machine

The Hui Ohana! out of the Big Island.... why because they truly are Ohana...through my wife... and I only get to hear their CD's now.

Uncle Dennis passed away etc...

"THE Hui Ohana trio reprised their successful formula with album two in 1973: Nedward Kaapana on bass, and Dennis Pavao and Ledward Kaapana on guitar, smooth harmonies and falsetto vocals. "

http://starbulletin.com/98/08/14/features/records.html
    Last edited by damontucker; June 27, 2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I miss Jerry.

Comment

The Beatles
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
          The Beatles
          Here Hear on that one.

Also. Grand Funk Railroad in 1970. I have a bootleg of them from University of Hawaii in 1970 believe or not. It's one of the very few bootlegs you can find of them.

Deep Purple in the early 70's.

Led Zeppelin. I remember my 8th grade art teacher wanted to take a bunch of us kids to see them in 76'. I wanted to go, but my older brother told me "oh, I heard they suck live". so I didn't go.

The week they played 4 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden, I saw Led Zep II on his turntable, and commented how great it was. He says "I saw them last night, they were amazing !"

To this day I still want to kick his butt, and never let him forget he talked me out of seeing ZEP on the PHYSICAL GRAFFITI tour...my fave Zep album.

I would also have loved to see Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman back in the day playing at the hotels in Waikiki, that must've been a scene.

The Ventures and Dick Dale back in 64'

Some cool stuff I DID get to see....

KISS in 77'
          Black Sabbath with OZZY in 78' (Van Halen was the opening act!)
          AC DC with Bon Scott
          Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio
          Rush way before "Tom Sawyer" made them annoying.
          Ozzy with Randy Rhoads
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
            Here Hear on that one.

Also. Grand Funk Railroad in 1970. I have a bootleg of them from University of Hawaii in 1970 believe or not. It's one of the very few bootlegs you can find of them.

Deep Purple in the early 70's.

Led Zeppelin. I remember my 8th grade art teacher wanted to take a bunch of us kids to see them in 76'. I wanted to go, but my older brother told me "oh, I heard they suck live". so I didn't go.

The week they played 4 sold out shows at Madison Square Garden, I saw Led Zep II on his turntable, and commented how great it was. He says "I saw them last night, they were amazing !"

To this day I still want to kick his butt, and never let him forget he talked me out of seeing ZEP on the PHYSICAL GRAFFITI tour...my fave Zep album.

I would also have loved to see Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman back in the day playing at the hotels in Waikiki, that must've been a scene.

The Ventures and Dick Dale back in 64'

Some cool stuff I DID get to see....

KISS in 77'
            Black Sabbath with OZZY in 78' (Van Halen was the opening act!)
            AC DC with Bon Scott
            Rainbow with Ronnie James Dio
            Rush way before "Tom Sawyer" made them annoying.
            Ozzy with Randy Rhoads
            Hey can still see kiss and ozzy...

If you get the kala

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
              Hey can still see kiss and ozzy...

If you get the kala
              KISS with a FAKE Ace Frehley and Peter Criss and wigs, wigs and more wigs...I'm talkin 77"...heyday !
              OZZY is basically a walking vegetable now too, but still vey entertaining :-)
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

The Beatles AND Elvis. I'm old enough to have seen them both but for the fact I never was taken to a concert.

Therein lies the fundamental reason why my daughter has already seen The Wailers, UB40, New Orleans before Katrina, and will, of course, see U2 on December 8th.

Aloha Auntie ... 40th Row, Center, Above GA....ready for my whack whacks.

I should be easy to spot. Just look for the guy with the cutest 5 year old at the concert.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Two of my favorite guitar heroes, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix.
                  Just recently found of bootleg of Jimi at what was then the HIC in 1970. There's also some film footage from that. Also even more mind-blowing is a DVD of Stevie and Jeff Beck playing here at a CBS Record Convention in 1984.

And speaking of the Police, a friend of mine regaled me with his tale of the then-unknown SRV opening for the Police at Aloha Stadium. He remembers it it vividly because of the girlfriend he accidentally hooked up with there.

To my knowledge, AC/DC has never played here. Anyone can confirm this? Even now, I'd love to go see them.

Don't think we'll ever see the return of DLR to Van Halen. Don't think there may ever be any kind of incarnation of Van Halen again for that matter with all the problems they've gone through over the last few years, although Eddie showed up onstage a few weeks ago at a Kenny Chesney!!! concert in L.A. You can find it on youtube.com

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                    The Beatles AND Elvis. I'm old enough to have seen them both but for the fact I never was taken to a concert.

Therein lies the fundamental reason why my daughter has already seen The Wailers, UB40, New Orleans before Katrina, and will, of course, see U2 on December 8th.

Aloha Auntie ... 40th Row, Center, Above GA....ready for my whack whacks.

I should be easy to spot. Just look for the guy with the cutest 5 year old at the concert.
                    Took my girls to see George Winston last year. He played that funky 8 string as an encore. Want them to see Brubeck before he passes. Did not take them to see Bauhaus but I should of in hindsight. Goths today are not as wild as they were back in the 80s. It is apparently not cool anymore to move and vibe to the music. Perhaps it is product of an incomplete diet.

Comment

Sex Pistols
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                        KISS with a FAKE Ace Frehley and Peter Criss and wigs, wigs and more wigs...I'm talkin 77"...heyday !
                        OZZY is basically a walking vegetable now too, but still vey entertaining :-)
                        MINI KISS "performed" around a year ago in Honolulu at Pipeline Cafe. Basically a lip-synching, air guitar "tribute band" of dressed-up little people. I have NO IDEA how that went.

I went to an Ozzy concert at the Blaisdell Arena sometime in the mid-90's, well before his resurgence in popularity on MTV's hit reality TV series. The turnout at that concert was sad. Must have been no more than 60% seats sold. He really gave it his all, complete with expletives and Zack Wilde on axe, but the crowd was just not as into it, had the venue been full. I bet now post-MTV show, he'd probably sell out multiple performances.

Journey with Steve Augieri sold out 3 (or more?) Blaisdell Arena concerts not long ago. I (ashamedly) didn't attend any.

Nachodaddy, check out The Police' Synchronicity Concert DVD, which was shot live in Colorado during that tour back in the 80's and only recently remastered and released on DVD. I'm VERY happy with it!
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                          [...] Want them to see Brubeck before he passes. [...]
                          I'd like to see him again, too. Is he still performing?

Back to the original question...I'd love to see Jonathan and Darlene Edwards in some smoke filled, seedy lounge, maybe on Hotel St.!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                            I'd like to see him again, too. Is he still performing?
                            I don't think he will ever quit performing. The man is a machine.

http://www.brubeckmusic.com/dave.html

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                              I don't think he will ever quit performing. The man is a machine.
                              I just saw him a few months back, sharing a bill with Ramsey Lewis. I've seen him live maybe eight or ten times over the years, and met and talked with him twice. I've also conversed with a couple of his sons (Chris & Danny) a few times - the two of them just played here a couple months back, too.

As for the original question, I'd have to list a lot of classic Island acts, since I didn't discover their music until the past decade or so: Country Comfort, Kalapana (with Mackie), Beamer Brothers, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X