Returning to Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning to Space

This sounds like pretty scary odds to me...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060627/...c/shuttle_risk

(RIP Ellison Onizuka)

Hope I didn't touch too many local nerves with this post...

My wife was devastated when Onizuka lost his life!

Re: space shuttle = Shuttle crew has 1-in-100 chance of dying

I think this time around if they find damage to the shuttle, they can hang out on the ISS until another shuttle picks them up or replacement titles can go up on one of those Russian cargo ships.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      I think this time around if they find damage to the shuttle, they can hang out on the ISS until another shuttle picks them up or replacement titles can go up on one of those Russian cargo ships.
      going up though? das when ellison died...was on lift off!

Comment

I had the impression that the odds were when they were coming down since they haven't licked the foam coming off the tank problem. Going up I think they did a lot of things to fix that issue.

Comment

Every single one of those astronauts would go for it.

Columbus could have died. Lots of folks did while exploring the oceans.
          Marco Polo could have died.
          Every single person who ever tried to climb Everest could have died. Some have.

Fear of death is just not a good enough reason to muffle human curiosity.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Re: Returning to Space

Absolutely. There is no true growth or advancement without risk. I truly, truly believe it is in our nature to explore. There will be mistakes, there will be catastrophe, there will be tragedy. Humans are, if anything, stubborn, and we may only learn things the hard way. But we learn things.

I can understand both the critics and proponents of a space program. From a government spending standpoint, from a "practical benefits" standpoint, it makes very little sense. Why invest billions to, say, finish a space station that's already out of date? Or conduct experiments we can perfectly simulate on Earth? Or return to the surface of our moon, when we've mapped every millimeter of it? Is losing another crew, another shuttle, worth all that?

Maybe not. Definitely not, on a spreadsheet. And realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure another major tragedy will be the end of NASA as we know it -- though perhaps that's what it'll take to move into the next generation of space exploration.

But on an intangible, unmeasurable level of curiosity, ambition, and yes, stupid pride, I see the appeal. I feel it myself.

I bet the odds were never all that good for surviving a given shuttle mission. We've discovered fatal flaws that have always been there, and yes, they were discovered the hard way. The numbers are more realistic now, and perhaps more frightening. But I don't think they scare the true believers, and I'm glad they don't.

On paper, especially now, our shuttle fleet will never be completely "ready," failsafe, reliable. The doubt and second-guessing must be overwhelming. Fortunately, we don't live by odds and spreadsheets alone.

Godspeed, Discovery.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Absolutely. There is no true growth or advancement without risk. I truly, truly believe it is in our nature to explore. There will be mistakes, there will be catastrophe, there will be tragedy. Humans are, if anything, stubborn, and we may only learn things the hard way. But we learn things.

I can understand both the critics and proponents of a space program. From a government spending standpoint, from a "practical benefits" standpoint, it makes very little sense. Why invest billions to, say, finish a space station that's already out of date? Or conduct experiments we can perfectly simulate on Earth? Or return to the surface of our moon, when we've mapped every millimeter of it? Is losing another crew, another shuttle, worth all that?

Maybe not. Definitely not, on a spreadsheet. And realistically speaking, I'm pretty sure another major tragedy will be the end of NASA as we know it -- though perhaps that's what it'll take to move into the next generation of space exploration.

But on an intangible, unmeasurable level of curiosity, ambition, and yes, stupid pride, I see the appeal. I feel it myself.

I bet the odds were never all that good for surviving a given shuttle mission. We've discovered fatal flaws that have always been there, and yes, they were discovered the hard way. The numbers are more realistic now, and perhaps more frightening. But I don't think they scare the true believers, and I'm glad they don't.

On paper, especially now, our shuttle fleet will never be completely "ready," failsafe, reliable. The doubt and second-guessing must be overwhelming. Fortunately, we don't live by odds and spreadsheets alone.

Godspeed, Discovery.
              So with this being said PZ...

Would you go up? or is this a duh?

I sure would... Heck... I'm sure my family would be taken care of by NASA if I did die!

I still love the movie "The Right Stuff"
              Last edited by damontucker; June 27, 2006, 08:05 PM. Reason: movie not move

Comment

The CNN web site had this article about another complication that NASA has to deal with when the shuttle launches.

Basically it's about 4 to 6 pound birds (in this case vultures) that like to hang around the launch pad, one of them almost hit the shuttle when it lift-off last year, which might cause a tile to come loose should such a collsion occur.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  The CNN web site had this article about another complication that NASA has to deal with when the shuttle launches.

Basically it's about 4 to 6 pound birds (in this case vultures) that like to hang around the launch pad, one of them almost hit the shuttle when it lift-off last year, which might cause a tile to come loose should such a collsion occur.
                  I thought it was hilarious when I heard that in order to minimize the chance of the shuttle plowing into another vulture, NASA has ground crews out picking up all the roadkill near the launch site, so as to make the area less attractive to the birds.

Comment

I'd like to see the calculation of the cost of "real estate" per square foot (or cubic volume) for the International Space Station (ISS).

They estimate the STS-121 mission will cost $450,000,000.99 (I threw in that 99 cents for humor). So if you add up the cost of every shuttle mission dedicated to ISS; PLUS the other countries' contributions; PLUS contractor's price for the components, imagine how much that adds up to!

It's said that the Shuttle is the only 'vehicle' capable of transporting the large components needed to complete ISS, which is a primary reason to continue the program.
                    Last edited by Pomai; June 30, 2006, 09:36 AM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Less than 30 minutes to launch and all systems GO, regardless of all calculated risks.

I hope all you tax payers are watching your $450 million + 7 stand-out human beings reach once again for the stars. If not, at least say a prayer for the safe flight of STS-121.

CNN (OC-14 & 15) has good coverage.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Launch scrubbed for today. Bad weather. There was good live coverage on CSPAN TV of all places. They will try again tomorrow around 9 AM Hawaii time, actually 9:26 AM.
                        Last edited by mel; July 1, 2006, 09:48 AM. Reason: fix wrong time
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

NO-GO for today.

DISCOVERY LAUNCH SCRUBBED BECAUSE OF WEATHER (thunder showers near-south of the cape).

There goes at least (I estimate) $500,000 in calculated risks expenses. Still, safety of the crew is priceless.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

As I am typing this, Discovery had a beautiful clear weather launch this morning and is headed toward orbit, now 5 minutes into flight. The video from the onboard camera outside Discovery is really cool. Haven't noticed any pieces of fuel tank falling off.

OK. They're in orbit.

God Bless America!
                            Last edited by mel; July 4, 2006, 08:49 AM. Reason: update post
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              As I am typing this, Discovery had a beautiful clear weather launch this morning and is headed toward orbit, now 5 minutes into flight. The video from the onboard camera outside Discovery is really cool. Haven't noticed any pieces of fuel tank falling off.

OK. They're in orbit.

God Bless America!
                              Yeah, I really really hope this mission is completed successfully and they come home safely. I don't want to see another disaster like what happened 3 years ago again. That was probably one of the most painful days of my life, because I was in AZ at the time attending a conference and saw it on TV over and over again; we were very close to where the shuttle started disintegrating.

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X