Have you ever ridden on a boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever ridden on a boat?

After talking to many people...I've come to the conclusion that despite Hawaii being an Island... Not too many people have actually been on a boat.

Have you been on a boat and if so... what size and for how long?

I've been on Numerous boats...and often we used to have family trips from the San Juan Islands in the Northwest to Victoria BC in Canada.

I've also been on ferries many times as that was the only way to get to the San Juan Islands at the time.

I know a certain Auntie out there just had her first experience... and she showed Hawaii good as a tourist got seasick and she didn't

Re: Have you ever ridden on a boat?

The only sea vessel I went on, was a catamaran (sp?) and that was for a wedding party. But I fell asleep to avoid upchucking what I ate, but unfortunately I did. An earlier boat ride was part of my Mom's preschool (it was summer, so she just bought her kids with her as chaparones) and it was one of those glass bottom boats. That was the only boat that went far away from the shore, as I saw some dolphins and other aquatic marine life. I think I fed them because I remembered looking at blue ocean for a long time.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Been on a couple of boat rides to Fern Grotto. Did about 3 trips on board the UH Blue Water Marine Lab back in the mid-1970's for the high school students. Did a couple of scuba dives from boats.

Comment

I've spent an entire lifetime on and around boats, recreationally and professionally, so I guess my answer will just be a simple "yes".

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm not a boat kind of a guy, but I have been on a few of them.
          • small glass bottom boat in Kona
          • Ferry from Seattle to Victoria Island, Canada
          • Navatek II
          • Star of Honolulu - most recent, in Feb. 2006

The boat rides have been separated by many years of non-riding. I prefer boats that are big... so I would assume they are called ships. Where does boat end and ship begin?
          Last edited by mel; June 28, 2006, 09:39 PM.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What surprises me is the amount of people from here who don't know how to swim .

Comment

Well it ain't as if the island's gonna sink. I'm more surprized at the number of people who don't know how to drive

People see the islands from the air but one great way to see the islands is from a boat. This is a familiar landmark from it's point:

It takes on a different perspective from the ocean. Yes it's Diamond Head.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Licensed Captain. 100 tons. Sail & Tow. nuf said.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I've only been on the Wiki Wiki Ferry (it was for school but I wasn't complaining...got to go twice and had fun) and this somewhat small but fast boat that my bro's girlfriend's dad co-owned.

That was fairly recently, he took us and some of my bro's friends all out near Waikiki, they went swimming in the ocean, I cowered in fear, then we went back to the harbor to eat some totally awesome tomato basil pizza from a nearby restaurant (like literally right next to the harbor) and we watched the fireworks that they always shoot up on Fridays.

I had no clue if I got seasick or not so I tried not to move around too much. I think that I probably would've gotten sick if I didn't stare at the horizon the entire time. It was fun, though..wouldn't mind doing it again. It was hilarious because this couple was sitting on the back of their boat and the lady was definitely topless. And then this tour vessel passed right by and she was freaking out 'cause all the tourists were looking.

Oh yeah, I also went on this big science research boat for school but it never left the harbor. We were supposed to be "learning" about science and oceanography. What really happened was that my classmates and I got ourselves utterly lost in the huge ship because the thing is like an industrial maze.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I think the problem is that kids nowadays don't think going to the beach or any type of outdoor recreation is a worthy pastime anymore. Too much Playstation.

Sorry I never answered the question "have you ever ridden on a boat?"... Yes a lot.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    Well it ain't as if the island's gonna sink.

Comment

Yes, and the Batfish dependants' cruise was the best even though I got sick. While the boat was on the surface, its swaying movements were pronounced, but there was so much to see in that little space, I didn't notice. Once it dived though, I had to lay down. The feeling got to be too queasy.

Years later when I saw the movie "Das Boot" the first time, I remembered my husband once saying that the Batfish was like the Queen Mary, compared to the U-Boats.

Comment

Walks in proud and strong!

I'm da 50 year old auntie who had my first boat ride! It was awesome, serene and breathtaking. I can't wait to board another again. To see Oahu from the ocean brought peace within my soul. Beholding her majestic beauty and powers is embedded in my heart and mind forever more.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Deep sea fishing a few times outside Kwajalein Lagoon (never caught much). Tourist boat over in Kona. Sailing off Waikiki a couple of times on a friend's 30-foot sailboat. The big one was sailing here from LA on the Lurline back in 1968. That was 5 1/2 days.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            The big one was sailing here from LA on the Lurline back in 1968. That was 5 1/2 days.
                            Yeah! I did it from here to L.A. back in 1964. Grrrreat fun!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                              Deep sea fishing a few times outside Kwajalein Lagoon (never caught much). Tourist boat over in Kona. Sailing off Waikiki a couple of times on a friend's 30-foot sailboat. The big one was sailing here from LA on the Lurline back in 1968. That was 5 1/2 days.
                              I'm not familiar with the "Lurline". I can only guess you weren't actually "sailing" to have done it in 5 1/2 days. That would've been a record.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                              X