Sukiyaki?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sukiyaki?

I was watching Sam Choy last Saturday night, and instead of Makaha Sons he had 2 Scoops Rice (I think...could be wrong), but they led off the show with what I think was that old Japanese chestnut Sukiyaki. I remember that from every department store on the Yokosuka Ginza, every day, all day.

Anyone else remember it?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Sukiyaki?

I remember it! It was recorded by Kyu Sakamoto...I think! It dates me though because it's very old! When I first heard the song I thought it wasn't a Japanese person singing it.
    Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
      I remember it! It was recorded by Kyu Sakamoto...I think!
      Kyuu Sakamoto is right, I think. My mom told me once, when I was a kid, that he was named that because he was the ninth-born child in his family. I believe he committed suicide, but I'm not sure about that.

My mom also told me that nobody knows why the song is called "Sukiyaki," but that may be incorrect. I was eight or nine, and maybe it was one of those explanations you get because it's just easier.

The song was also remade in the late seventies or early eighties by A Taste of Honey, with English lyrics that I don't think were a translation:

"It's all because of you
      I'm feeling sad and blue
      You went away,
      Now my life is just a rainy day...
      I love you so
      How much, you'll never know
      You went away and left me lonely..."

I hated that song when it was popular, but have grown to like it in recent years. Definitely a lovely melody, and difficult to forget.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Kyu Sakamoto indeed it was. His version of Sukiyaki hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1963. In 1981 the song was remade by the disco group "A Taste of Honey" who had a big hit a few years before with Boogie Oogie Oogie.
        Last edited by mel; June 6, 2004, 11:20 PM. Reason: added link to Billboard Pop Hits 1963 CD
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, after a struggle with the cable between my sound card and my speakers, I can now confirm that that is indeed the song I thought I heard.

Thanks, folks.
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            The song was also remade in the late seventies or early eighties by A Taste of Honey, with English lyrics that I don't think were a translation:

"It's all because of you
            I'm feeling sad and blue
            You went away,
            Now my life is just a rainy day...
            I love you so
            How much, you'll never know
            You went away and left me lonely..."
            Definitely one of those songs that sticks in your head. Here are the original lyrics, with a side-by-side English translation. The Taste of Honey version wasn't a literal translation, but I think they did manage to capture the general feeling.

Comment

Didnt Kyu Sakamoto die in a airplane crash about 20 years ago? I think it was the one in which the airplane (Korean Air) flew into a mountain.

Makiki Boy

Comment

Thanks for the link Glen...I can hear the song in my memory now. I don't know if Kyu Sakamoto died in a plane crash. I know that Christopher Reeves died today. Heart failure. Courageous man after his neck injury...he really was Superman.
                Retired Senior Member

Comment

Yes, Kyu Sakamoto did die in a plane crash. Also the title "Sukiyaki" was what the title was changed to when it was decided they would release that song Nationally. I guess they wanted a title that people of that time (1963) could relate to.
                  Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Sorry, that should be Internationally...
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

They used that song at the end of last night's Japan visit on The Osbournes. Always loved that song, grandma played it all the time when I was younger.
                      myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

OOOhhhhhhh...the memories of being young! It's available on Karaoke in all the Bar's in Hawai'i. At least the ones I used to go. Uh, still do, once in awhile.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                        X