"Hawai'i's Last Queen"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hawai'i's Last Queen"

This PBS documentary about Keali'i Liliuokalani was first aired in 1997. If you haven't seen it yet, it's well worth taking the 53 minutes to view this documentary. Much of it I already was aware of from reading her own story, but there was this one part towards the end of the documentary that made me start crying...it was noted that during the annexation ceremonies in 1898, when the Hawaiian flag was lowered for the last time, it was cut up into little 2x3" ribbons and the ribbons were given to the descendants of the missionary families and other Caucasians as a memento of the victory of the US over the Hawaiian monarchy. The kanaka maoli, along with their Queen, did not attend the ceremony, but stayed behind closed doors and shuttered windows.

Miulang

P.S. another very important piece of Hawaiian history is the Blount Report of 1893, which was written by an emissary of the US government. It is the document which stated that after careful review of facts and statements by both the kanaka maoli and American sides, that the Bayonet Constitution was illegal.
    Last edited by Miulang; June 30, 2006, 10:04 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

ribbons of crimes, Re: "Hawai'i's Last Queen"
    -miulang=-"...when the Hawaiian flag was lowered for the last time, it was cut up into little 2x3" ribbons and the ribbons were given to the descendants of the missionary families and other Caucasians as a memento of the victory of the US over the Hawaiian monarchy.--"

Subsequently, those 2x3" ribbons of have been cut up further and each new piece represents further subdivision of the whole, the 'aina, into "real estate", purchasable by any bearer of sufficient U.S. promise-sorry notes called 'legal tender' by the illegal occupiers.

Comment

Re: "Hawai'i's Last Queen"

Whatcha mean "last queen"

Still get my wife

Comment

Re: "Hawai'i's Last Queen"

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Whatcha mean "last queen"? Still get my wife
        And no forget my ex-wife, the princess.

(No disrespect meant, folks. Just havin' a pau hana chuckle here.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
        X