Greetings from California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from California

Hi everyone! I am from southern california and will be moving to the big island soon.

Aloha!
    Never say never

Re: Greetings from California

Originally posted by Kanaka
    Hi everyone! I am from southern california and will be moving to the big island soon.

Aloha!
    Aloha and Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com Kanaka! Make yourself comfortable and join in anytime. See you on the boards. Check out the FAQ.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Auntie Lynn - thanks for the welcome. I been searching through the forums and found lots of great information. I look forward to chatting with everyone.
      Never say never

Comment

Welcome. I'm in SoCal as well. I'm also trying to make a move to HI, but it probably will be to Oahu.

Did you grow up there? Or, what prompted you to pick the big isle? And, my big curiosity is, what do/will you do for a living, and does it translate over there well?

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
          Welcome. I'm in SoCal as well. I'm also trying to make a move to HI, but it probably will be to Oahu.

Did you grow up there? Or, what prompted you to pick the big isle? And, my big curiosity is, what do/will you do for a living, and does it translate over there well?

Happy late bday !!! Hope u have a great move to Hawaii. I was there jsut 2 weeks ago and met that "crazy" wahine called Auntie Lynn Was a whole bunch of fun.. next time I go we should all have a big get together will peeps from the board... it would be party time ...
          http://www.liftforlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567
          http://360.yahoo.com/legal_secretary_in_montreal2001
          If you see it and believe it, then you can achieve it and be it

Comment

No I am not from Hawaii. Grew up in southern cali all my life. Just about did everything you can do in california - like disneyland, beaches, snow, hollywood, etc - (u know what i mean) just too fast pace - i live like 35 miles from the nearest beach - it takes at least 2 hours to get there with traffic. People are just in a rush all the time - but anyway I am a teacher got an interview with Hawaii district and they offered me a job - and I requested to be in the big island. My husband is in the construction business which I hope he can get a job in that. Pretty much will be selling our home in cali and buying near hilo and mostly counting on my job. We are just really excited to make the move. We are just tired of the city life.
            Never say never

Comment

Hey Kanaka,
              Good for you! We made the move from California also (Sacramento) ten years ago and never regretted anything except we wish we'd gone WEST instead of East...well I do anyway.

Hubby and I are both teachers, and we currently have a home in Kennebunkport Maine, but I desperately miss Hawaii! My brother was stationed at Pearl Harbor and I lived with him for summers from 1977-1982 (except 1980...that was a bad summer, he was at sea). So for me Aiea/Pearl City is my "old home" and I haven't been there in 24 years. Arggh! I have recurring dreams where I am FINALLY back and I'm so excited to run around my old stomping grounds, only to realize I have just an hour to get back to the airport... I always wake up depressed!

The reason I wrote is that people will tell you you're NUTS to leave SoCal, esp. if you have a house, but you have to follow your dreams. Nobody really thought we'd stay in Maine but it's great here, and we're not sorry we left California behind AT ALL. Except maybe for the cheap airfare to Hawaii anyway.

So congratulations and good luck! You will be so glad you followed your heart and went for it.

--Karina in "the Port"
              Did you ever notice that "What the hell" is always the right decision?

Comment

My husband is in the construction business which I hope he can get a job in that.
                Hey, welcome and good luck if you do decide to move. However just one quick question. Your name is kanaka but u have a hubby, what's the deal?
                "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                "But I can't even read good."
                "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Karina "in the port",

Thanks for the support. Yes I have already heard from people saying we are crazy about selling our home but we are not planning on living in cali again just visit

Whitepoint,

Answering your question - oops I must of misunderstood this magnet I got when I went to the big island. My real name is Sandra and below it said Kanaka - I thought thats what my name meant. So Kanaka means single?
                  Never say never

Comment

aw chit, disregard that last question. I was thinking kane, nm nm kanaka works.
                    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                    "But I can't even read good."
                    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

My real name is Sandra and below it said Kanaka - I thought thats what my name meant. So Kanaka means single?
                      Welcome, Sandra. No, kanaka means "native" as in kanaka maoli. Only people of Native Hawaiian extraction can rightfully call themselves "kanaka". It's a pretty touchy subject among the people who live in Hawai'i, which also makes a distinction between newcomers ("malihini") and people born and raised in Hawai'i of non-kanaka maoli heritage ("kama'aina"). Out of respect for the kanaka maoli, may I humbly suggest that you consider changing your screen name to the "Hawaiian" equivalent of Sandra, which would be something like "Kanela" ("Sandra") or "Kani" ("Sandy")?

Miulang
                      Last edited by Miulang; July 3, 2006, 07:02 PM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My real name is Sandra and below it said Kanaka - I thought thats what my name meant.
                        wow. so you thot the web site was translating your name.
                        jeez.

center of the universe, are we.

"kanaka"... as with all Hawaiian words, means many things. different things. depending on the context.
                        it means "man".
                        It also means:
                        Human being, person, individual, party, mankind, population.
                        take yer pick. But use Sandra as yer name.
                        and puuuuleeze don't use
                        kanaka.
                        cuz ya ain't.
                        "kanaka maoli" is man or person who is native, indigenous, aborigine, genuine, true, real.
                        Last edited by kimo55; July 3, 2006, 07:52 PM.

Comment

My real name is Sandra and below it said Kanaka - I thought thats what my name meant. So Kanaka means single?
                          Too funny! You can be anything ya wanna be girlfirend. Too funny!

Sandra = Kanaka

Lynn = Mata Hari
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; July 3, 2006, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Sandra = Kanaka

Lynn = Mata Hari

kimo = big cheese ryan mickey mouse-moose mcgillicuddy super spy mcpig checkerpogo Howareya five OH!

yea. sounds good. dass me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              Sandra = Kanaka

Lynn = Mata Hari

kimo = big cheese ryan mickey mouse-moose mcgillicuddy super spy mcpig checkerpogo Howareya five OH!

yea. sounds good. dass me.
                              Nope. Dis is you...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Working...
                              X