Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Fruits

What's yours?

Mango tops my list. More specifically, the Pirie that grows right in our yard. Awesome. Unfortunately, the rains a few months ago washed away most of the flowers. So it looks like we'll have a small harvest this season.

I also LOVE locally-grown Lychee, which is hard to find. Seen some FULL trees in the Liliha area though.

Papaya with a squeeze of lemon on it has to be another perfect food. Not with Musubi though.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 1, 2006, 07:47 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Favorite Fruits

Choose one fruit as favorite? Impossible! I love watermelon, really crisp apples, rambutan, durian (said while holding nose) and all citrus but especially grapefruit and limes - calamansi too. I can't think of a fruit I don't like.

Comment

Nathan Lane

Andre from Project Runway.

Comment

Mango, papaya, pineapple, Ulupalakua/Kula strawberries, guava, mountain apples.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

white cherries

don't know the scientific name for them.

Comment

musk melon, white peaches and nectarines that are sort of crispy and not mushy, rosy apple (although it's been years and years since I've eaten any. I don't even know where they grow anymore), and poha.

Comment

Elton John
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

speaking of which..
                did you know...
                Elton John turned gay...
                the VERY same day liberace died.
                Coincidence?!
                I think not.

Comment

Actually, If you have to be away from Hawaii, raspberries are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    speaking of which..
                    did you know...
                    Elton John turned gay...
                    the VERY same day liberace died.
                    Coincidence?!
                    I think not.
                    Wrong FRUIT...

and hey...Elton John is the bomb!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      Nathan Lane

Andre from Project Runway.
                      Scary, man. Real scary.

Gotta' admit, Bird Cage was a HILARIOUS movie!

In Japan, fresh Melon Juice is very popular. Simply ripe Melons blended with a little milk. It's so awesome. There's also a packaged version in stores. I don't know why that hasn't caught on here yet. I should email Hawaiian Sun about that one.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ka`u oranges, and it's not even close. I love citrus, don't care so much for most tropical fruits, and don't like melons or anything that has that melony texture, such as papaya.

Lately, I'm really into blackberries. Mix 'em up with some plain, nonfat yoghurt and slip into bliss....ah...
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          Ka`u oranges, and it's not even close. I love citrus, don't care so much for most tropical fruits, and don't like melons or anything that has that melony texture, such as papaya.

Lately, I'm really into blackberries. Mix 'em up with some plain, nonfat yoghurt and slip into bliss....ah...
                          Blackberry crumble. Heat the oven to 375°f, and put in it, blackberries in a baking pan with some lemon, sugar and maybe clove or cinnamon. Add apple if you need bulk. While the friut is heating, process in a cuisinart (or rub in, by hand),a mix of equal weights of flour, butter, oatmeal and sugar, and a little bit of salt, too, and spice, if you want. Top the fruit with the crumble mix, and bake til bubbly and browned.

This is very nice, served with yoghurt or ice cream or pouring cream or even plain. You can use just about any fresh or canned friut, too. The crumble mix freezes well...I make lots, and then just pour it out, onto fruit, and bake, as wanted. Sometimes, I use a piecrust base, under the fruit...it's less messy to serve, that way. (any little bits of raw piecrust get chopped up, and added to the crumble, too) Nuts are nice, mixed with the crumble mix, too.

Comment

Banana and oranges top my list. Did try kiwi fruit a few years back.

Comment

Lilikoi by a mile. When I'm back home in Hawaii I eat as much of it as I can, seeing that a single manini kine one out this way sells for a $1.50 each. I bought a bag of lilikoi for a deuce from a roadside farmer while on Molokai last visit over (the farmer hadn't seen a $2 bill in years) and he gave me choke lilikoi for it....he must have given more than 4 dozen. The supply lasted me the entire length of my stay. One of my favorite memories from my last trip.

Other fruits that I do enjoy though very much are: Azorean pineapple, Washington State bing cherries, clementines, wild strawberries, and wild black raspberries.

Comment

Working...
                              X