Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cheap eats in Hawaii

Hi all,
    Visiting Waikiki from the mainland for the third year in a row and am looking to some input as to where to get good grubs for reasonable prices.

Our favorite restaurant (Yabusoba on Beachwalk) closed last year and since then we've just been checking out the boards for ideas. So far we've been to Sidestreet Inn for the porchops & spicy chicken)
    Gyu-kaku for the yakiniku (spicy tofu chiage is out of this world, so is the kalbi)
    Sorabol (somewhat disappointing after Gyu0kaku)
    Legend's (chinatown) for dimsum

We are open to everything with the exception of franchises like the Cheesecake Factory & Planet Hollywood (why go to these places when you're in Hawaii???) Welcome any comments or suggestions you may have.

btw we are staying in the downtown marriott/waikiki area

Re: Best cheap eats in Hawaii

Originally posted by pyongpyong
    Hi all,
    Visiting Waikiki from the mainland for the third year in a row and am looking to some input as to where to get good grubs for reasonable prices.
    jeez. who knows... try the bait shops.

http://www.menzelphoto.com/images/ga...ook_meb_02.jpg

Comment

Maholo Drive Inn on Young Street. You could try the food court in the Ala Moana Food Court.

Comment

A quick HT search turned up the following 4 threads:

1, 2, 3 and 4.

Enjoy!

Comment

I've not been to the Waikiki stores, but I LOVE Ezogiku. I've been to the Waimalu, University and Kaheka locations and the gyoza is consistently my favorite. (Gyoza is the pan-fried and steamed Japanese equivalent of Chinese pot stickers and/or Korean mandoo.)

Ezogiku is a traditional ramen shop, with gyoza and other dishes including AWESOME chicken katsu curry rice (big portions!). I think the prices would fall in to most people's definition of cheap eats. (If I can afford to take the kids there from time to time, it MUST be cheap.)

I usually get an order of jumbo gyoza (which I always refuse to share) and a side of rice -- and I'm a happy girl. Just stay away from my gyoza and nobody will get hurt.

All that to say the Paradise Pages list three Ezogiku locations in Waikiki, at 2146 Kalakaua Ave., 2420 Koa Ave. and 2546 Lemon Rd.

I wish Ezogiku would open up on the Windward side, but at least there's a Sumo Ramen shop in Kaneohe (Kaneohe Bay Center, across from WW Mall), to sate my gyoza-jones closer to home.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I've talked about both of these places here, but I'll mention them again and you can do a search through HT's threads for them yourself:
            Tae's Teppan-Yaki on Kaheka Street, near Kalakaua.
            Nico's at Pier 38 off Nimitz, just past Alakawa.

Other recent faves are Maharani (not exactly cheap), the Green Door (downtown Honolulu), and the Olive Tree (Kahala).

Good luck, and let us know what you try. We'd like to hear what your experiences are like.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

please allow me to rephrase...i'm not looking for the cheap eats that kimo55 is accustomed to.
              we've been to roys and alan wongs and both are great along with sansei and a few others but we're looking for some cheaper gems such as the late YABUSOBA accross from the breakers. always a great meal for a resonable price but unfortunately returned to japan.
              many thanks to all of you who posted some great suggestions but we're not looking for food courts of buffets. hope i made my request a little clearer this time.
              thanks in advance for everyones kindness and suggestions.

Comment

please allow me to rephrase...i'm not looking for the cheap eats that kimo55 is accustomed to.
                I know Kimo55. Kimo55 is a friend of mine. You, sir, don't know what kind of cheap eats Kimo55 is accustomed to.

But I do, and I'm sure you'd be fine with most of them!

If you can't take a little grubby humor, you might be better of not axin' him, though.
                Last edited by MadAzza; July 2, 2006, 05:19 PM.

Comment

i'm not looking for the cheap eats that kimo55 is accustomed to.
                  Gee, you joined HT just yesterday and in only your second post here you already know all about Kimo's eating habits?!? You psychic, or what?!
                  (Word of advice: develop a little thicker skin and bring a sense of humor, k?)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Rainbows drive inn on Kapahulu across from the Ala Wai Golf Course is both close to Waikiki and the boneless chicken plate is great as well as their other local specialties. Prices are very reasonable and portions are great.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Tommy's lunchwagon by the downtown post office. Cheap, good food and they give lots. Good for someone with limited budget and large family to feed!!!

Comment

Had a really great Grilled Ono sandwich at the Grass Skirt Grill in Hale'ewa... Highly recommend it.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

that place is cool.owned and run by my bud Johnny. he also has the strong current shop.
                          the iconic artwork on the signage and all the stuff in the interior on the walls done by some haole dude up there that does some really nice 60's style island tourist art. lotta mchdse available. If ya like that sorta thang. Thank you, Shag, for spreading it worldwide. Now it comes home.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            that place is cool.owned and run by my bud Johnny. he also has the strong current shop.
                            the iconic artwork on the signage and all the stuff in the interior on the walls done by some haole dude up there that does some really nice 60's style island tourist art. lotta mchdse available. If ya like that sorta thang.[...]
                            I love that sorta thang! Tell us more! Where in Haleiwa is the shop?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                              I love that sorta thang! Tell us more! Where in Haleiwa is the shop?
                              middle of haleiwa. inland side of road. kaneohe side of da bridge.
                              http://www.restauranteur.com/grassskirt/
                              was kua'aina burgers.

here's da braddahs art.
                              http://www.alohaworkshop.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X