Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marooned......

This is your "top 1" question

Marooned on a desert island, unlimited supply of batteries, a CD player. You get to have only one CD, which one?

Me. The Cult 'Love'. It still fires me up after almost 20 years of playing. I can play "Rain" when I am running low and need to summon some clouds, "The Phoenix" when I want to do some freaky fire rituals, "Black Angel" when I need some companionship, "Hollow Man" for those occasional brooding moments, "Nirvana" and "Sanctuary" when I am chilling in my crib.

The total package.
    Last edited by nachodaddy; July 7, 2006, 07:06 PM. Reason: clarity
    You Look Like I Need A Drink

Re: Marooned......

I'll take the one cd and use it as a mirror to hopefully draw attention to overhead or use it to reflect sun in a small kindle of dried Coconut husk and try and start a fire with it...

The other items useless if you can only have one

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      I'll take the one cd and use it as a mirror to hopefully draw attention to overhead or use it to reflect sun in a small kindle of dried Coconut husk and try and start a fire with it...

The other items useless if you can only have one

You could also set up an ultimate frisbee course too and use all the batteries to make your own power plant but this is about music.

C'mon Manoa surely you can think of only one CD? It can even be a double one.

Comment

Jonathan & Darlene Edwards - "Jonathan And Darlene's Greatest Hits - Volume II"

However, I don't own any CDs so I'd need an unlimited supply of iPod batteries and the tools and knowledge to know how to replace them.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
          You could also set up an ultimate frisbee course too and use all the batteries to make your own power plant but this is about music.

C'mon Manoa surely you can think of only one CD? It can even be a double one.
          huh? 12345

Comment

Oh...

See i thought i only could choose one of the 3... a CD player.. batteries or a CD....

Now you giving me two plus an option of music....

Different question now...

Mine would have to be... Mary Martin's Version of the Broadcast play of "Peter Pan" heck... if were on a deserted island.... it my as well be "NEVER... NEVER Land"

Comment

Sorry Manoa, I cleaned it up. The only C I got in college was in English Composition 101.

Comment

CD's are the eight track of our generation. Going the way of the dodo bird.

Most people are just downloading files and carrying them on portable mp3 players. The idea of an "album" is going to be a thing of the past. Soon, this question will be, if you have one ipod, and ten music files on it, which would you choose?

But, I suspect, people would say, "ten????" How big is your memory capacity?

Asking these questions will soon sound like old people saying, "I had to walk to school... in the snow... uphill... both ways!"

Comment

Fleetwood Mac- Tusk and The Eagles.. I could survive on both
                  Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                  The Kona Blog

Comment

Stuck with only one CD, I would probably have to make a compilation MP3 CD to squeeze in about 120 songs from my top 10 albums and a few bonus tracks on it. I would make sure it would be my CD player that can also play MP3 CDs. And what are my top 10 albums?

See the list at this link (from another thread on this board).
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by drumorgan
                      CD's are the eight track of our generation. Going the way of the dodo bird.

Most people are just downloading files and carrying them on portable mp3 players. The idea of an "album" is going to be a thing of the past. Soon, this question will be, if you have one ipod, and ten music files on it, which would you choose?

But, I suspect, people would say, "ten????" How big is your memory capacity?

Asking these questions will soon sound like old people saying, "I had to walk to school... in the snow... uphill... both ways!"
                      Funny, I've lived thru many mediums....8 tracks and vinyl, cassettes, then when CD's came out it was a huge deal to hear digital silence before a song started...no more hiss or needle dropping onto a record. Now the MP3 thing.
                      It IS sad that the art of making an "album" is now dead. The ebb and flow of one song to the next, it was an art, and things like how long between each song, and song order made a huge difference in the quality of a record.
                      When one of my bands made a record in the late 90's, we actually put needle drop sounds at the beginning, middle and end of the CD to give the effect of it being a record and having "sides". It was really important to us to try and preserve that ebb and flow of an old school record. Now that whole idea of a group of songs making up a complete work is dead....what a bummer.

Yea, the iPod is convenient but it certainly changes things with respect to the "art" of making an album.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

A lot of people complain about buying an entire album only to get 1 or 2 songs they really want. With digital downloads, the consumer is enabled to buy only the tracks they want and ignore everything else. Power of choice. Digital downloads are today's affordable 45s.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                          Yea, the iPod is convenient but it certainly changes things with respect to the "art" of making an album.
                          My inner fuddy duddy agrees with you. Except that I suspect that there hasn't been much "art" in making an album for a while now. Decades ago, an artist might see an album as an opportunity to tell a larger story, to capture a time or a mood. But commercial music, these days, often seems to be "singles oriented," to the detriment of the rest of the so-called album. That is, one, two, or three tracks in which the most talent and energy is invested, and the rest basically "filler." Those first three get airplay, promotion, and drive sales, but the bulk of the so-called album is mostly an excuse to charge $17 instead of $4.

Ala carte music shopping has deflated this model, as folks can get the worthwhile tracks without buying the rest. In a way, though, I think there's a chance that this might revitalize the "art" of the album -- as musicians and labels have to now find a way to make a full-album sale compelling. That means, sometimes, gimmicks and the like, but I'm hoping it also means thinking again in terms of that larger song arc.

Because, honestly, if an artist today did put out a whole album worth getting, I'd get it. And, on rare occasions, I still do.

But, of course, this isn't about albums vs. singles. It's about what album you can't live without. For the above reasons, I'll bet most answers won't be contemporary albums... but also because we tend to cherish the music that we liked in the first half of our lives than in the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                            A lot of people complain about buying an entire album only to get 1 or 2 songs they really want. With digital downloads, the consumer is enabled to buy only the tracks they want and ignore everything else. Power of choice. Digital downloads are today's affordable 45s.
                            This is precisely the reason I'm an iTunes slu...err...devotee! 'In the good ol' days' I was a 45rpm devotee. in my 5+ decades of buying music I don't think I've ever liked *all* the tracks on any album/CD, altho' I've come close a couple of times. About the only time I'll buy a CD is if I personally know the artist or one of the musicians. iTunes and the iPod have revolutionized music purchasing and listening for me.

So...back to the topic of this thread. I'll change my answer above to a compilation CD, making sure at least a few of the songs are by Jonathan and Darlene Edwards. They're my idols!

Comment

Styx: "The Grand Illusion" because that's what was playing when me and my wife wen first make out .

Comment

Working...
                              X