A State Better than Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A State Better than Hawaii

There's no question Hawaii is increasingly becoming THE place to move to and call home.

Can anyone claim another state in the U.S. you think is BETTER than Hawaii to call your permanent residence? It would be preferable if you've actually LIVED in Hawaii (not just visited) and the state you're comparing it to.

Consider all the pros vs. the cons of that state and sell us on it! For Hawaii, the former far outweigh the latter.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 8, 2006, 01:39 PM. Reason: No Ka Oi
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: A State Better than Hawaii

Originally posted by Pomai
    There's no question Hawaii is increasingly becoming THE place to move to and call home.

Can anyone claim another state in the U.S. you think is BETTER than Hawaii to call your permanent residence? It would be preferable if you've actually LIVED in Hawaii (not just visited) and the state you're comparing it to.

Consider all the pros vs. the cons of that state and sell us on it! For Hawaii, the former far outweigh the latter.
    Pomai, I ain't touching THAT one with a 300 lb. Samoan! EVERYPLACE has good and bad points.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ok:

"everyone wants to move to Hawaii.
      What state is better than Hawaii"

huh. I... wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, either.

Comment

A little state I like to call Catatonia, cuz nothing can affect you......
        Last edited by nachodaddy; July 8, 2006, 03:32 PM. Reason: clarity
        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Catatonia = California? lol

Thanks Nachodaddy for that rather derogatory (catatonic) way of summarizing (me and) this thread.

My girlfriend's sister (Maui girl) will soon be receiving her doctorate in Oregon, where she's been attending college throughout. She just loves it there and will probably end up buying a home and settling there.
          Last edited by Pomai; July 8, 2006, 04:25 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Where are the Texans who lurk on this board? I think they're the only ones I've ever heard express any regret at having left their home state.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I liked the dairy prices in washington when I left better than Hawaii .99 cents a gallon compared to 3.99 a gallon.

I like Washington apples better than Hawaiian Apples...

However, Hawaii has the most beautiful people in the world and not just talking about looks!

So Hawaii can't be beat!

However, I seem to be in the state of confusion most of the time

Comment

Catatonia = California? lol

Thanks Nachodaddy for that rather derogatory (catatonic) way of summarizing (me and) this thead.

My girlfriend's sister (Maui girl) will soon be receiving her doctorate in Oregon, where she's been attending college throughout. She just loves it there and will probably end up buying a home and settling there.

No get mad. No hate here. Nothing directed towards you. Jus' having fun.

All states (the 50 at least) have their advantages and disadvantages. Let's take your Oregon for example. Half of the population in the state lives within 30 miles of Portland so you can kinda equate Portland as being Oahu and the rest of the state as being the other islands. Portland is the microbrew capital of the world. It also has the most amount of strip clubs per capita (a little known fact). It has light rail, no sales tax, $20 to register your car for a year, a nice waterfront, Nohos if you are feeling homesick for local food, Powells Books, and an incredible restaurant scene (better than Seattle, again IMHO). Fishing is better in Hawaii. Hunting is better in Oregon. If you get out of Portland proper, housing and land is pretty affordable.

So which one is "better" or "worse". It depends.

Trying to keep up with the pbp for UFC 61. I'm cheap. Stevenson just took out Edwards. Brutal GnP.
                Last edited by nachodaddy; July 8, 2006, 05:25 PM. Reason: powells

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                  Oregon for example. ----- which one is "better" or "worse". It depends.
                  Exactly what most will probably reply to with this thread.

"Best", "Better Than" or "Favorite" tend to be used in thread titles alot around here (I admit to have fallen for it), which is a rather ultimate statement. There's so many variables, as mentioned above.

At the least, this could be an interesting thread to evaluate life in other states in comparison to Hawaii through the eyes of those who live it.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That's cool. Get rid of all the qualifiers and this could be an interesting discussion.

You want to know more about Oregon or do you have another state in mind????

Comment

O.K. then, well just add a lateral title to this thread:

IF YOU HAD TO MOVE AWAY FROM HAWAII, WHICH STATE WOULD BE BEST SUITED FOR YOU?

For me, it would have to be a coastal state. I NEED to be near the ocean or I'd probably die of depression.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[...]For me, it would have to be a coastal state. I NEED to be near the ocean or I'd probably die of depression.
                        oh...Oh...OH...I soooooooo hear you! Negative ions rock!

If I absolutely had to leave Hawaii and I had no financial restraints, I'd move to Carmel Ca. Back-up locations would be Tiburon or Belvedere, both across the GG bridge from SF.

Champagne taste...Kool-Aid (ade?!) budget!

Comment

I've heard from family members that Carmel CA is beautiful....

However... if I left Hawaii after moving here...... I think it would be back to washington the state... or somewhere in Nevada...

However, with my wifes close ties to the islands.... I don't see us leaving
                          Last edited by damontucker; July 8, 2006, 07:08 PM.

Comment

O.K. then, well just add a lateral title to this thread:

IF YOU HAD TO MOVE AWAY FROM HAWAII, WHICH STATE WOULD BE BEST SUITED FOR YOU?

For me, it would have to be a coastal state. I NEED to be near the ocean or I'd probably die of depression.
                            I think I could do Michigan. I need water, but it doesn't have to be salt water. The Great Lakes will do fine, and I recall learning somewhere that Michigan, after Alaska, has the most coastline of any state.

Talk to me in the winter, tho. Different answer, guarrans.

What would be hard for me would the lack of ethnic diversity that I am used to. Unfortunately, Utah and CA pale in comparison

pax

Comment

I know what you mean, I grew up near a beach. In all my years, I have always been at least two hours from the ocean (with the exception of 6 months special training).

When I had to get a fix, we would pile into the car and head to the ocean. About 10 miles away, I would crack the windows, rain or shine, and try to smell the ocean before I actually saw it. I have travelled every road that can be travelled from the tip of Washington to the Mexican border and points beyond. I have fished SE Alaska, Kenai Peninsula, and the Aleutian Islands.

Having said all that, there are advantages and disadvantages with respect to the ocean if compared to Hawaii. Overall, the scales tip in your direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X