Anime - Manga experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime - Manga experts

I searched but didn't find any threads dedicated to Anime and/or Manga (except for the link about the effort to remove a manga history book from a mainland public library).

Apologies if there is such a thread and I missed it.

Hawaii has lots of anime/manga fans, cos-play folk, etc., which I surmise is one reason the Star-Bulletin supports columns on the topics. Just look at the Kawaii Kon's growing attendance.

My two older teenagers are into the scene and have an anime club at their school (it's not sanctioned by the school, but it's a club nevertheless).

I just wanted to take a moment to introduce you to a couple of my co-workers whose expertise consistently floors me.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/09/f...s/story02.html

Remember to check out the Cel Shaded column every Monday, too!

Signed -- an AstroBoy and Kimba fan (prolly from before Jason or Wilma were even born).
    Last edited by Erika Engle; July 9, 2006, 02:44 PM. Reason: punctuation
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Re: Anime - Manga experts

I'm quite the fan of Macross.

I also like Genesis Climber Mospeada, but that's sort of obscure.

Comment

I had the distinct pleasure of working with both Jason and Wilma at Ka Leo at UH. Even then they were the go-to experts on anything anime. I enjoy their columns in the Star-Bulletin quite a bit, even if I don't understand half the things they're talking about. Some people do, and for anime and manga to have regular coverage in a city daily is pretty cool.

Of course I saw Akira when it first came out, and reliably check out all the Japanese animation that wows the world now and then (i.e. Miyazaki), and enjoy it all... even if a good chunk of it leaves me scratching my head -- it's the ride that counts!

Comment

Revisiting the subject of anime, of which I am no expert, but my 7-year-old daughter seems to be, here is mentioned the subject of anime eyes. I'm not so sure I'd want to encounter this. Not at the check out. Not on my bus driver. No where!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          I'm quite the fan of Macross.
          Speaking of Macross, and Jason Yadao's talk about different versions of OMG, didn't something similar happen with Macross?

IIRC the Japanese version of Macross had a completely different storyline and dialogue. Whoever exported it to America kept the footage but changed everything else. I think it's pretty cool they edited it drastically without it being noticeable (at least to a kid). I'm sure those who loved the original Japanese version would see it as blasphemous.

(I'm pretty sure it was Macross. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

On a side note, this kinda reminds me of Spike TV's MXC. The dialogue is hilarious. You can tell the writers / commentators are having fun. I haven't seen the American MXC copycats, but I have a feeling they won't be as funny.
          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
          "
          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            Speaking of Macross, and Jason Yadao's talk about different versions of OMG, didn't something similar happen with Macross?
            Robotech was an amalgamation of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. Somehow, they re-wrote the dialogue in such a way that the 3 stories were loosely connected. The blonde female protagonist in Southern Cross became Max and Miriya's baby, and Mospeada's Jupiter fleet became Admiral Rick Hunter's (Hikaru Ichijo) SDF3 convoy.

I'm glad that Robotech was there to introduce us to Macross at least, but the consequence was that Harmony Gold holds the distribution rights to Macross in the US, so we've missed out on multiple Macross series sequels, soundtracks, video games, etc.

Macross Frontier was released in Japan recently. It's quite good, if you like that genre.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
              Somehow, they re-wrote the dialogue in such a way that the 3 stories were loosely connected. The blonde female protagonist in Southern Cross became Max and Miriya's baby, and Mospeada's Jupiter fleet became Admiral Rick Hunter's (Hikaru Ichijo) SDF3 convoy.
              Haha, no kidding? I never guessed Southern Cross was a separate story, but now that you mention it, I can see how they pulled it off.

the consequence was that Harmony Gold holds the distribution rights to Macross in the US
              That sucks. The same thing happened with Nausicaa. Disney had the US distribution rights, I believe. They sat on it for a long time. I was so happy when they finally released it on DVD.

Thanks for the info, Vanguard.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Working...
              X