Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teaching in a public school without a B.Ed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching in a public school without a B.Ed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to teach in Hawaii public schools without a degree in education? I wanna teach at the high school level. I have a BA in sociology and already took my Praxis I and II.

Holla.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: Teaching in a public school without a B.Ed.

http://doe.k12.hi.us/personnel/teachinginhawaii.htm

Your answer lies there.

Comment

Re: Teaching in a public school without a B.Ed.

Actually, that's just a partial answer.

If you want a permanent, unionized position, you have to go through a teacher-ed program (some of which culminate in licensing; others continue through to a Master's degree) and pass that PRAXIS tests, as described at Manoa's link.

However, there are seven English-teacher candidates in the education program I'm currently involved with. Subtracting me (already a full-time teacher), that leaves six. Of those six, four have been offered "emergency hire" positions, one probably would have if he'd applied for one, and one got a full-time permanent job at a private school (mine! it pays to know me, sometimes!). And that's just in my English cohort. There are a LOT of others in my program who have been offered emergency-hire positions. These require just a four-year degree, really, but it helps to know the school's administration. My classmates were offered positions by schools who already knew who they were, and who had seen them do some amount of teaching.

If you're willing to go to a rural school, your chances are even better. Just know that (a) your position will be up for grabs every year and must first be offered to tenured teachers, then to non-tenured union members, then to licensed teachers, and finally to "emergency hires," and (b) you'll make less money than a teacher with licensure. It would help your case a LOT to get enrolled in a licensing program, even if only part-time. It's pricey, but I strongly recommend the Hawaii Pacific University program.

You can also qualify for "long-term sub" positions; again, it helps to know someone, and knowing someone is often a matter of getting into a program somewhere. I might suggest, if a position is not available to you right away, going through the state's substitute teacher course; if you're a good sub, you'll work every day, and that's yet another way for a school to get to know you.

If you're not set on public schools, I'd recommend trying one of the sub-services that provides substitute teachers to Oahu private schools (your profile doesn't say where you live). If you're a good sub, you'll work almost every day (for somewhat less than at a public school), but you'll get to see a lot of different schools and, again, if you're good, you could get a permanent position. Three full-time teachers at my school were first subs employed by the sub-service; we liked them so much, we offered them jobs. This was a great situation, because we already knew what they were like in the classroom, the students already knew them, and most importantly, they knew the school, so they knew what they were getting into. Send me private mail if you'd like contact info for the sub service. I don't have it handy, or I'd just post it.

Good luck, and I hope you know what you're jumping into!
      Last edited by scrivener; July 9, 2006, 07:27 PM. Reason: "shootin' down the walls of heartache -- bang bang..."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
      X