Moped or Car in Maui?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moped or Car in Maui?

Hi All, I'm moving to Maui in January and I had a question about the best type of transportation. I'm going to be bringing a bicycle, there's not doubt about that, but I was wondering which is better to buy when I'm out there, a moped or a cheap car? I'll be living in Kihei and hopefully working close by (if I can find a decent job out there) so I'm trying to factor that in. Thanks guys.

Re: Moped or Car in Maui?

Originally posted by pttymcgee
    Hi All, I'm moving to Maui in January and I had a question about the best type of transportation. I'm going to be bringing a bicycle, there's not doubt about that, but I was wondering which is better to buy when I'm out there, a moped or a cheap car? I'll be living in Kihei and hopefully working close by (if I can find a decent job out there) so I'm trying to factor that in. Thanks guys.
    Depends on how far about the island you want to travel. If you intend to spend all your time in the Kihei/Wailea area, then a moped/bike is OK. But if you want to go anyplace else (like to Central Maui, Lahaina, Hana, etc). a moped won't cut it. They just announced that the "public" transportation (small buses) that used to only run during the week will apparently now also run on the weekend, but if you have to be someplace at a certain time, that may not work out too well.

Maui drivers are nuts, and combine those with tourists who are even nuttier, it would not make for a good mix for someone on a moped! Maui has lots and lots of cheap used cars. Get one that is homely looking (i.e., older, with some wear and tear but in good mechanical condition) and you also won't get ripped off or have your car broken into. And because Maui is an island, most of the used cars you look at will be fairly low mileage, too.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X