Pampers, pull-ups, or cloth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pampers, pull-ups, or cloth?

Just though to keep the ball rolling....
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: Pampers, pull-ups, or cloth?

Sam's Club house brand disposable diapers.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Aren't Pull-Ups just the next step after Pampers, versus cloth? That is, isn't this basically, "disposable" versus "cloth"?

I truly admire folks who can do the cloth thing. That there are actually more diaper services out there today than there were a few years ago is encouraging. But me? Disposable all the way. Whether it's Pampers or the house Kirklands brand, getting 'em in bulk from Costco has saved big bucks... and quite a few domestic disasters, I'm sure.

Comment

...and yet, no one quotes Senator Bob Dole, when asked "boxers of briefs?"

His reply: "Depends."

Comment

Depends. HAH! LOL.

In my experience, having two in diapers twice in my life, (save for the 20 months when my first-born was the only child), I went with disposables.

(Quickly, first-born son, 1988; daughter, 1989; twin sons, 1993.)

The cloth diapers were for burping purposes, as well as when diaper rash or skin-borne yeast-infections would occur on baby.

When eldest son/daughter's dad left us and I had two in diapers the first time, I "treated" myself to a Sunday paper subscription, figuring the coupon savings MORE THAN paid for the newspaper subscription (they did). There were ALWAYS diaper coupons in there, too. (It was cheaper, I thought, than a Costco membership, which I did not have back then.)

The second time I had two in diapers, my late beloved and I did have a Costco membership, of which we took full advantage. Sometimes though, living on the WW side, a trip to Costco with four little ones was just a bit too much to handle. So, I continued the Sunday paper coupon thing, as the shorter-duration trips to Safeway, Daiei, etc., seemed a lot more manageable.

Did I ever feel bad about the impact on the landfills? Yes. Could I imagine going all-cloth and doing all that ADDITIONAL flushing, rinsing, pre-washing, washing, drying and folding? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Pull-Ups, I believe, extended the potty-training time for, my sons, especially. I think earlier and more consistent use of traditional cloth training pants would have made it a shorter, more successful process for all 4 of my children, but quite frankly the last thing I wanted to deal with while grocery shopping, dining at McDonald's (or anywhere) ... were accidents. My fault, not theirs. (Okay now watch, one of them becomes locally famous and one day one of YOU will recall this post to them. Sheesh. Okay, your checks are in the mail!)
          Last edited by Erika Engle; July 15, 2006, 08:12 PM. Reason: To add detail.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
            [...]Could I imagine going all-cloth and doing all that ADDITIONAL flushing, rinsing, pre-washing, washing, drying and folding? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
            Ha! I did all of that with 2 in diapers. Of course those were the good ol' days when disposable diapers were just starting to hit the market. Diaper services dominated the market and I took full advantage of one. (x) months of the service was also a very welcome baby gift. The initial disposables always caused my little gals major rashes so they were used only when absolutely necessary. I remember something called diaper liners that were a huge help as they were flushable. But, yah, soaking, rinsing, pre-washing, washing, drying and folding was a way of life! Burping, too!

Comment

My hat's off to you, darlin'!
              Pampers came out when my sister was a baby. They were expensive (I was told) and needed diaper pins, just like the cloth ones.
              My mom didn't use them often, but we did have a diaper service, for at least part of sister's baby years, as I recall.

Gee whiz. Those Playtex nursers were a lot more complicated back then, too ... you had to have this little machine-doo-hickey to "install" the plastic liners into the "bottles," (that were and remain, basically, plastic tubes, with threading at one end and ounce-markings down one side ). I guess the machine thing was designed to maintain the sterility of the inside of the liners (or just to make more $$, whichever). However, if the "machine" wasn't kept sterile, the point was ... ???
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Working...
              X