Dole Cannery Goes All-Digital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dole Cannery Goes All-Digital

As reported by HT's very own Erika Engle, Hawaii's first all-digital movie theater is coming soon to the Regal cineplex at Dole Cannery.

It's purported to have better color and contrast, as well as a more efficient and cost-effective delivery system for the theater operator.

BUT.. they aren't really ALL DIGITAL yet. They need to fully automate the concession stands with high tech, self-serve vending machines, with robots that deliver your popcorn and hotdogs right to your seat. Now THAT is what you call ALL DIGITAL.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Dole Cannery Goes All-Digital

I saw the article too, I guess one of these days would need a trip to Dole Cannery to check it out assume one would know which of one of the 18 screens it is.

Self serve vending machines, would need a lot of them to handle the lines plus you know much quarters you would need to bring to get a soda from such a machine?

And how do you make a vending machine that dispenses popcorn with choices for buttered or no butter or salt or no salt?

Comment

Besides digital movies, digital sound, and digital vending machines, they would also have to take digital money only... no cash... only credit and debit cards. That would solve the digital vending machine problem. No coins. The price for digital technology will also probably mean an increase to movie prices.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        Besides digital movies, digital sound, and digital vending machines, they would also have to take digital money only... no cash... only credit and debit cards. That would solve the digital vending machine problem. No coins. The price for digital technology will also probably mean an increase to movie prices.
        You might not even need debit or credit cards in the future. In countries like Spain and Mexico, people already have embedded RFID chips in their arms...one swipe over a scanner and your account is automatically debited! Which brings up a rather morbid thought...will robberies in the future turn more grisly if we all have those RFID chips embedded in us?

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think the American public will ever go for embedded chips into their bodies. I certainly will never do that. Now let's get back to the topic of discussing Dole Cannery's Digital theaters instead of drifting off to embedded chips in human bodies, which should really be a topic in itself if not already at the American Insane Asylum area on this board.

So if anyone next week goes and sees the first digital movie at Dole Cannery, by all means report what your experience is. For me, the digital thing is a year too late as I heard one of the first all digital movies was "Star Wars Episode III" which of course played in theaters last year.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            And how do you make a vending machine that dispenses popcorn with choices for buttered or no butter or salt or no salt?
            One word: Japan. You need to travel there one day. You'll be amazed at the the things they vend up there. They even have an automated Sushi machine, so surely butter and salt wouldn't be a problem.

Those pneumatic money chutes they use at Costco might be a possible way to deliver the concession food directly to each seat.

100% Digital Movie Theater Experience
            1.) Pay for ticket online.
            2.) Go to theater and pay using passcode you received online (or pay there using automated ticket machine).
            3.) Seat yourself (make pretend that's digital).
            4.) Order concession food using electronic touchpad located on seatbacks. The food is billed directly to the same credit/debit card you used to pay for ticket.
            5.) Within minutes your food arrives in a "Yummy Pod" dispenser located below the touchpad: hotdog in disposable plastic container, popcorn in microwave bag, candy wrapped as is and plastic bottled drinks.
            6.) Enjoy the digital movie.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

our fave columnist dave barry tells us in his book
              db does japan

they have beer in cans vending machines.

Comment

Digital, cool. I'm hoping that the movies with breathtaking cinematography will look even better then...looking forward to the Autumn HIFF where lots of movies seem to be shot with beautiful scenery in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  our fave columnist dave barry tells us in his book
                  db does japan

they have beer in cans vending machines.
                  . . . . . . . . .

absolutely. when i lived there (and that was quite a few years ago), beer dispensing vending machines were commonplace. not a big deal to anyone. (those machines, however, stopped working at a certain hour at night so the hours of operation were from morning to something like 11 pm or midnight.)

not as common were vending machines that sold underwear and adult magazines...
                  525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I do believe those three vending machines side by side in a particular order would be a good idea.

Comment

So has anyone seen the All Digital theater yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X