Any Gout suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Gout suggestions?

Anyone got any Gout remedies? What I thought was a twisted right ankle has turned out to be gout. There is no swelling though. I read a few things on the web but nothing specific. The problem is I have been on a diet for the last 10 months and lost 70 lbs. and I hardly eat the foods that are NOT recommended.

THIS WHAT I DONT EAT:
    Foods high in purines:
    Sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, brains, or other offal meats
    Sardines, anchovies, scallops, prawns, and crabs
    Alcohol
    Meat extracts, consommés, and gravies
    Diet sodas

I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. also chicken only for lunch. My mornings and evenings I only take the Isagenix shake. (Isagenix is a diet plan) and also drink a lot of water. So I am confused at why I developed this condition. My doctor says it happens to everyone. Different people have different Gout triggers. Not to mention already on a low sodium diet!
    Last edited by speedtek; July 16, 2006, 10:35 PM.

Re: Any Gout suggestions?

Cranberry juice flushes out most of the toxins that cause gout to flare up, or so I've heard.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Gout is related to athritis and rheumatism. And to what we eat. It's especially triggered by acids and protiens. Whenever I eat certain things, I can't sleep at night, fot the pain in my joints. Here's a lit of forbiddens...try and see what does it for you...for me it's sour cream, yoghurt, fruit, especially tomato and kiwi, coke, and orange juice.

Red meat
      Citric acid
      milk products
      chocolate
      fruit
      alcohol
      red wine
      pepper
      citrus
      vinegar
      coke and seven up

The good news is that you can eat as much as you want of rice, pasta, potatoes, grains, beans, vegetables, avocado and banana, salad (no dressing), and fish. And reasonable amounts of chicken, pork, and veal.

I'm not sure about shoyu.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
        Anyone got any Gout remedies? What I thought was a twisted right ankle has turned out to be gout. There is no swelling though. I read a few things on the web but nothing specific. The problem is I have been on a diet for the last 10 months and lost 70 lbs. and I hardly eat the foods that are NOT recommended.

THIS WHAT I DONT EAT:
        Foods high in purines:
        Sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, brains, or other offal meats
        Sardines, anchovies, scallops, prawns, and crabs
        Alcohol
        Meat extracts, consommés, and gravies
        Diet sodas

I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. also chicken only for lunch. My mornings and evenings I only take the Isagenix shake. (Isagenix is a diet plan) and also drink a lot of water. So I am confused at why I developed this condition. My doctor says it happens to everyone. Different people have different Gout triggers. Not to mention already on a low sodium diet!

weird but i can relate, i was in the hospital and i was on a low sodium diet and they really controlled what i was eating, after a few weeks, i developed gout and i never ever had it in my life before!! dang that was painful! they couldn't determine the cause of it either but the docs put me on coltricin and endocin which helped. i've only had 2 flare ups and within the last year.

Comment

I had my first encounter with gout back in 1983. Since I didn't know what it was, I waited three very painful days before seeing a doctor (I thought it was a badly stubbed toe). Within two minutes, he'd diagnosed it as gout, told me to eat tons of fruit, and gave me some 50mg capsules of indomethacin. Within a single day the gout was gone. For me, that drug (it's an anti-inflammatory) is a magic bullet; your mileage may vary.

He suggested a daily dose of colchizine (I think that was its name--little tiny yellow pills), but at age 33 I didn't want to be tied to a daily pill (at age 40-something I got stuck with other daily ones for BP and cholesterol), so I declined.

I've had a few recurrences of gout, but what I've done is ask for and get a small supply of indomethacin. If I feel a twinge, I take one and presto! It's gone. The twinge might happen every 6-8 months; it's not like I'm popping the caps on a daily or weekly basis.

Oh, the one month I ate nothing but fruit for lunch back in 1983? I had a 40 lb. weight loss from 215 down to 175, and I've kept it off ever since, even though I no longer eat that daily diet of fruit salad. In fact, I don't have any off-limit food items (other than the blood meats, which I never ate anyway). As was said earlier, however, it's entirely dependent on each individual's metabolism.

See a doctor fast, just for pain relief.
          Last edited by Linkmeister; July 17, 2006, 09:10 AM. Reason: Food/pill intake
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Get three massages in the same week of a flare-up. Tell the therapist that the goal is to move the blood and sonovial joint fluids; pain relief/relaxation is NOT a priority.

it is going to hurt, but it will move the acids out of the joints, which will make the healing go faster.

Trust me.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              Get three massages in the same week of a flare-up. Tell the therapist that the goal is to move the blood and sonovial joint fluids; pain relief/relaxation is NOT a priority.

it is going to hurt, but it will move the acids out of the joints, which will make the healing go faster.

Trust me.
              That just aint gonna work unless you want to prescribe heroin as well. When you have a gout attack, just breathing on the joint produces incredible pain.

Prevention is the cure. Allopurinol. It supplements the enzymes that your liver is not producing enough of.
              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

I found on a self-help web site that suggested Black Cherry Juice. I tried it this morning and 80% of the pain went away. They recommended 8oz a day. So I took 4oz about 3 hours ago. I am shocked because I have been fighting the pain for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                  That just aint gonna work unless you want to prescribe heroin as well. When you have a gout attack, just breathing on the joint produces incredible pain.

Prevention is the cure. Allopurinol. It supplements the enzymes that your liver is not producing enough of.
                  I should have prefaced that I have suffered gout attacks over the last ten years. Gout flares hurt like a huminafrackendearblanektyblank. It has gotten better since I started exercise and watching what I ate. And the first ten minutes of massaging those ankles made me cry, but the next fifty made it all the better, I promise.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                    I found on a self-help web site that suggested Black Cherry Juice. I tried it this morning and 80% of the pain went away. They recommended 8oz a day. So I took 4oz about 3 hours ago. I am shocked because I have been fighting the pain for a week.
                    I tried charcoal pills a few years ago when I had an attack and was in between perscriptions. I think it worked but I was drinking a gallon of water a day at the same time.

Alternate heat and cold to get the blood flowing into the joint, kinda treat it like a sprain. Those crystsals are hanging up in the joint and you gotta flush them out.

Go to your doc and get a prescription of allopurinol. I know the hell you are going through, the prescription is well worth it.

Comment

I am also a fan of allopurinol and cherry juice.

pax

Comment

I should have prefaced that I have suffered gout attacks over the last ten years. Gout flares hurt like a huminafrackendearblanektyblank. It has gotten better since I started exercise and watching what I ate. And the first ten minutes of massaging those ankles made me cry, but the next fifty made it all the better, I promise.

LOL, and that is the PG-13 version.

I have been stabbed, hit in the side of the head with a 2X4, had my ear almost ripped off, broken ribs, seperated a shoulder, broke three fingers, and sprained an ankle so bad that it required surgery. NOTHING compares....

You are one tough cookie, I will say that.

For anyone who wants to bring up child birth, I surrender in advance. You win.

Comment

I am unable to add more about the gout experience™ without venturing into graphic territory. For giggles, where's your gout attack? Mine has always been my right ankle.

pax

Comment

I am unable to add more about the gout experience™ without venturing into graphic territory. For giggles, where's your gout attack? Mine has always been my right ankle.

Left big toe...........

We should start a support group. We can serve charcoal tablets with black cherry juice and chase it all down with red bull infused allopurinol.

or

We can serve haggis, menudo and assorted shellfish and eat until only one person is standing.

Comment

I've had it in both big toes (not at the same time, thank Deity). I've known people who got it in the shoulder, which sounds even more painful than feet.

I remember seeing pain ranked at some point, and gout was up there with migraine and childbirth, well above things you'd think would be worse.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                              X