Common types of Lawyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common types of Lawyers?

I was recently reading a thread, I believe here, regarding the sparse job situation in Hawaii and I wanted to see if anyone out there could answer a simple question regarding needed Lawyer types. Basically, I am interested in finding out what sort of law representation is commonly needed out there (ie, employed ) vs. what type of lawyers might find themselves out of work. Any ideas?

TIA!

Re: Common types of Lawyers?

That's not such a simple question. There are as many types of employed attorneys as there are types of law, ranging from the obvious (litigation, criminal, family, estate) to specialized (entertainment, contract, patent, maritime, securities.)

Are you thinking of going to Hawai`i to practice law? Are you studying law at present, or considering it as an area of study? Most attorneys I know would say to study any areas that intrigue you; learn to specialize in a field of law where you feel you can make a difference in the world and do the most good.

Comment

The legal field is thriving here, best I can tell. I have friends who left other specialized fields just to work for law firms, even with no particular interest in law. Though I also understand, like any major market, that competition is fierce, and just getting internships at the top firms here can be like winning the lottery.

I've heard it said that Hawaii has more lawyers per capita than most other states, but I think every region thinks it has too many lawyers. According to the American Bar Association (in this Star-Bulletin sidebar), in 1999, Hawaii had 316 lawyers per capita, versus the U.S. average of 245... and Washington D.C.'s 12!

Comment

Originally posted by JasonGuthrie
        what sort of law representation is commonly needed out there
        none more needed. a casual phone book (yellow pages) history survey was done a lil while ago; The amount of lawyer's pages was the one that grew the fastest.
        at this moment, there are 59 pages of attorneys. and counting. This, upon closer scrutiny, may be a sad commentary on many aspects of contemporary Hawaii life. I will leave that to others to anal-ize; I'm fightin the hapa perodical, now. I mean issue.

Comment

There's a dearth of work comp attorneys willing to represent the individuals (rather than the employers) and bankruptcy attorneys willing to represent the debtors rather than the creditors but there are good reasons for the dearth. We also seem to have a need for attorneys willing to protect elderly people from financial and physical abuse. Litigators seem to be thriving but not everyone can deal with litigation stress. We don't have many intellectual property attorneys. I cannot tell you what the client market is like in the area but if Hawaii keeps focusing on computer and technology related areas for our economic growth, there should be some growth there.

Comment

thought about teaching?

Comment

what the heck is this about?

Comment

Originally posted by olivia
                Sharks!!!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

it's about old and new music we listen to, while eating casseroles.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    it's about old and new music we listen to, while eating casseroles.
                    I thought it was about the Amish.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Ah. Mush. I eat that too. while listening to lawyers talk on NPR, But just the old NPR.

Comment

What's Amish?

Comment

Originally posted by olivia
                          Underground, alternative lifestyle westerns!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                            What's Amish?
                            ask and ye shall receive. delivered in a plain horse drawn carriage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ouov5OckT_w

Comment

Thanks Kimo!!! That was a great Music Video! I enjoyed very much.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                              X