This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Pray for Big Island Resident Sarah Ahmadia

She only went to Lebanon to be with family and now she is stuck in this civil war over there.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...ws/local01.txt

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br13p.html
    Last edited by damontucker; July 17, 2006, 05:33 PM.

Re: Please Pray for Big Island Resident Sarah Ahmadia

Sarah was featured on the KHNL news this morning along with a Punahou teacher, Rachel (didn't get her last name). They're amongst the 25,000 Americans being evacuated from the middle east.

The article you linked, Manoa, stated that Sarah's 2 siblings are currently located in NY and Indonesia. It didn't say where in Indonesia but that area had another tidal wave yesterday. Sarah's family is experiencing a very stressful time right now. Prayers, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Sarah was featured on the KHNL news this morning along with a Punahou teacher, Rachel (didn't get her last name). They're amongst the 25,000 Americans being evacuated from the middle east.

The article you linked, Manoa, stated that Sarah's 2 siblings are currently located in NY and Indonesia. It didn't say where in Indonesia but that area had another tidal wave yesterday. Sarah's family is experiencing a very stressful time right now. Prayers, indeed.
      Yes indeed...

I'm in contact with one of her good friends that is in Florida and she has been able to sleep in four days... She has been text messaging with Sarah every few hours.

Please everyone keep your prayers going until she is safe at home on the Big Island.

Comment

Sarah was interviewed by phone by MSNBC about an hour ago. She showed up at the checkpoint, just like she was told to this morning. She had with her 3 children (not hers) who were in her custody because their parents were caught outside Lebanon on a business trip when the airport was destroyed. Anyway, she said she and the kids stood out in the hot sun for 2 hours, made it through all the checkpoints and then were told there wasn't enough room on that Greek luxury liner for them. Apparently the State Dept was counting on some of the people they called to not show up, just like airlines overbook flights. Yeah, right. Like some people who are desperate to get out wouldn't show up?! So she said she, the kids, and about 200 others were denied boarding.

I'm just amazed at how calm she was while she was talking. She said the Embassy said they would get priority boarding on a helicopter tomorrow morning (probably in about 14 or 15 hours). In the meantime, I don't know what she and the kids are doing to keep themselves comfortable in Beirut. Man, is she going to have some stories to tell when she gets back.

Like the Hurricane Katrina debacle, if the government doesn't learn that it needs contingency plans for mass evacuations of citizens anywhere in the world, then I think they should all be fired.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

S-B's "breaking news" posting on it:
          http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4677

Comment

Her family is a calm family!

Please everyone keep her in your prayers!

Comment

She's in my prayers.

Comment

She and her family has been in my prayers since it started.

All have been in my Prayers.

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  S-B's "breaking news" posting on it:
                  http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4677
                  Sarah's mother was interviewed this morning (local news) and said our government had no back up lodging plans for those who were denied boarding. It sounded like everyone was on their own in this regard. Sarah's brother, who is in Chicago, was able to book a hotel for her. Nothing was mentioned during that interview about her evacuating with other relatives.

Comment

I pray for her family too. I've known her father(who is from Lebanon)for years, he is a good guy. The only thing I don't get is why would she go there now with all the anti-American feeling in the area in the past years? Didn't she read the US State Dept.'s travel warnings ? Knowing her dad, he must have warned her about this? Because years ago he told me he would NEVER go back.
                    Here's a travel fact sheet on Lebanon. The warnings for American go back as far as 2005. Any tourist going there are warned, you might get stung when you walk in the hornet's nest .
                    Last edited by alohabear; July 20, 2006, 05:54 AM.
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

I'm glad that Sarah was evacuated safely...

And I'll continue to pray for her till she's back home safe with her loved ones on the Big Island.
                      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                      We're not here to mess around
                      Boston, you know we love you madly
                      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                      You know we couldn't live without you
                      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I'm happy she's out of their... Thank you all for your prayers!

She will be able to provide some really excellent history lessons for her students!

If I get wind when she will be landing in Honolulu... I will let anyone know for those that might want to welcome her back.

Comment

In this morning's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/21/news/story05.html
                          Teacher 'thrilled' to flee Lebanon
                          By Rosemarie Bernardo

"Big Island teacher Sarah Ahmadia's week-long journey to escape Lebanon has ended with a short ride on a U.S. military helicopter to Cyprus."

"I am thrilled," Ahmadia told the Star-Bulletin yesterday in a cellular phone interview. "We finally got on the helicopter. I didn't actually believe we were going until we got on the helicopter.

"It looks like the U.S. government came through after all."

"Nobody seems to be taking an active role in this crisis," said Ahmadia's father, principal of Keaau Middle School, who was born and raised in Lebanon. "That's not acceptable. Our government and the world should not sit back and let this go on."

"I'm not a politician. I just want to see peace. Just leave Lebanon alone," he said.

Ok. Thank God she is out safely.

I have a question which was brought up by someone else earlier on the thread. Why did she or anyone want to go to a place that is considered a Hot Spot by US? Especially, when her father himself didn't want to return per alohabear.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Why did she or anyone want to go to a place that is considered a Hot Spot by US?
                            Blood is thicker than HOT water... she wanted and yearned to see her family. She has family from that that area... ...and was not traveling there as a "Tourist"

By the way...why did the chicken cross the road?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                              Blood is thicker than HOT water... she wanted and yearned to see her family. She has family from that that area... ...and was not traveling there as a "Tourist"

By the way...why did the chicken cross the road?
                              Manoa, I understand you know her and her family personally. My question is in no disrespect. However, visiting a Country whether as a tourist or not in a Red Zone where it is highly recommended by the US Government not to go to is confusing to understand. Why?

To put herself in Danger and find out the hard way. I assume she has learned a valuable lesson and will not visit anytime in the near future.

I'm glad she'll be back home safe on American Soil with family in the USA.

Auntie Lynn
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; July 21, 2006, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X