Scary Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Food

I was reminded of our previous discussion of the Krispy Kreme Burger after reading this L.A. Times write up of KFC's Famous Bowl. The author held nothing back in describing yet another amazing leap into excess.

The Verdict: Oink
    As we consider the worst fast-food offering ever, let us begin with the artifact itself: KFC's new Famous Bowls product consists of a plastic tub of mashed potatoes or rice, topped with yellow corn, fried chicken nuggets, gravy and three varieties of grated cheese. All in one container, all to be consumed as a single homogenous mass, spork after spork of undifferentiated food matter... Even in a nation that has made the bulk fast-food bolus something of a culinary art, KFC's Famous Bowls are somehow splendidly, transcendently awful.
    The difference being, this item is one folks in Hawaii could actually sample. Has anyone here dared?

The L.A. Times piece then goes on to list a few of the other entries in this gullet-choking market, including the Krispy Kreme Burger, Carl's Jr.'s 1,420 calorie Double Six-Dollar Burger, and the "Eat Like A Man" campain at Burger King.

Not long after Atkins this and diet that, the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction, and with unabashed gusto. I'll bet any idea you come up with to fit the theme "over the top" today would quite seriously be considered by a major chain.

Re: Scary Food

I ate that chicken bowl several times already. It was good. I thought the cheese would be weird but it was just fine. Obviously I'm posting this as a zombie as far as the L.A. Times goes, though
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

i love it;
      generic butteryummy food-goo.

it has come to this. But as ryan points out, something may top it shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I was reminded of our previous discussion of the Krispy Kreme Burger after reading this L.A. Times write up of KFC's Famous Bowl. The author held nothing back in describing yet another amazing leap into excess.[...]
        When I was a kid this KFC 'bowl' idea, if made at home, would've been called a casserole and it wouldn't have been served in the same size portion as KFC's. Unfortunately fat laden, carbohydrate rich foods tend to taste good.

Comment

The difference being, this item is one folks in Hawaii could actually sample. Has anyone here dared?
          Bad enough their food quality is already biting the dust, KFC has lost it's appeal to this family. Their new offering will probably be just as bad as the rest of their food in quality as well as for one's health. We ate our last KFC "stuff" last week, one of 2 or 3 visits per year. They lost us for good, now.

Comment

this item is one folks in Hawaii could actually sample. Has anyone here dared?
            I tried it once (was reported in either for lunch or dinner thread a few weeks ago). It was pretty decent, however it lacks the cole slaw and a biscuit from the regular meals. The only thing they add from the standard meal offering is the cheese, everything else is their standard stuff, I grant you it's more mashed potatoes and not very much chicken pieces if you are comparing it to their usual meal offerings.

Comment

Was KFC Always as bad as it is now, or ws it better back in the day (1970's) when you bought a bucket of chicken and it was the greatest tasting thing on earth?

I pretty much have ruled them out as far as food options, all their stuff is just really bad now, or maybe my tastes as an adult have changed.
              The parfaits are good, but the basic chicken is just not so great...
              I still like the buscuits tho', but McDonald's buscuits at brekfast time are pretty amazing too.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                Was KFC Always as bad as it is now, or ws it better back in the day (1970's) when you bought a bucket of chicken and it was the greatest tasting thing on earth?
                dang near everything was back then. for too many reasons to list. suffice it to say, that's the was it was. and thus, we have another reason for nostalgia.

Comment

I only like their slaw. But Tutu Sue is right, this is a caserole in disguise/disgust.

@
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    dang near everything was back then. for too many reasons to list. suffice it to say, that's the was it was. and thus, we have another reason for nostalgia.
                    That's what I figured....and let's not even get into the subject of music:then vs now.Oof!

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                      That's what I figured....and let's not even get into the subject of music:then vs now.Oof!
                      yea cus that's anodda thread. although when i heard white stripes, I thought I was hearing some bootleg early Zep. Who, on tour, prolly did eat at KFC.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        yea cus that's anodda thread. although when i heard white stripes, I thought I was hearing some bootleg early Zep. Who, on tour, prolly did eat at KFC.
                        Well, we can agree to disagree on that one. A band that apes "In My Time of Dying" for their entire sound could never hold a candle to the real thing...especially the drumming(sic) and lack of bass. Not to mention that Zeppelin covered MANY musical styles and the White Hypes pretty much stick to one narrow format. But hey, that's just how I see it...there are alot of people who disagree ;-)

That being said, the Johnny Depp clone does a pretty good job on the slide guitar stuff.

Comment

My mother feels that the only good cole slaw found on this island is KFC's. I've tried giving her Safeway's, which is undoubtedly fresher most of the time, but there's something about that KFC slaw that she really likes.
                          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            but there's something about that KFC slaw that she really likes.
                            dig it, baby

A copycat of KFC's yummy cole slaw.
                            8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
                            1/4 cup diced carrots
                            2 tablespoons minced onions
                            1/3 cup granulated sugar
                            1/2 teaspoon salt
                            1/8 teaspoon pepper
                            1/4 cup milk
                            1/2 cup mayonnaise
                            1/4 cup buttermilk
                            1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
                            2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
                            Last edited by kimo55; July 17, 2006, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I initially read and responded to this thread at work so I figured on my way home I would stop at KFC and try the Famous Bowl (was that the name of it) again. When I got there the counter person said it was for a limited time and it expired yesterday.

Had the Chrunchy Garlic Chicken instead.
                              Last edited by helen; July 18, 2006, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X