Another tsunami hits Indonesia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another tsunami hits Indonesia

Death toll so far is around 300 from a 7.7 magnitude undersea earthquake in Indonesia on Monday.

"...PANGANDARAN , Indonesia, Wednesday, July 19 — Thousands of terrified residents in this coastal community huddled together in makeshift camps, parents clutching small children, on the crest of nearby hills Tuesday night, fearing a repeat of Monday’s tsunami that has now killed more than 300 people and injured hundreds more...."

It's bad enough that the world has to contend with natural disasters like this without having to also deal with manmade disasters in the Middle East.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Another tsunami hits Indonesia

Originally posted by Miulang
    Death toll so far is around 300 from a 7.7 magnitude undersea earthquake in Indonesia on Monday.

It's bad enough that the world has to contend with natural disasters like this without having to also deal with manmade disasters in the Middle East.

Miulang
    Rapture?
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      Rapture?
      Yes, there are a bunch of people out there who are attributing all natural and manmade disasters to God's punishing all sinners. Those who believe in the Rapture will be the only ones who will be saved. The rest of us are going to burn in hell. They make the left wingnuts and neocons look normal.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I'm not sure exactly "what" I believe sometimes Auntie, but what IS happening in the world these days IS almost "biblical". I don't think there is an all loving god out there deciding to punish us for our sins by killing thousands of innocent children, and just plain innocent people. But,. . . we may have created some of these more frequent disasters, through greed, and abuse of our planet. So in effect, IMHO, we are just reaping the harvest of the seeds sewn by mankind over the past centuries.
        At the same time, let me add that I believe that more people have been killed "in the name of God" than by all natural distaters. I tend to be wary of almost any organised religon these days, and look upon them in the same light as I look upon politicians.

Aloha,

Claudia

Comment

Ho, ojosverdesdegato. You got me all scared by bumping this old thread -- I thought there was a new tsunami today.

Comment

Originally posted by ojosverdesdegato
            At the same time, let me add that I believe that more people have been killed "in the name of God" than by all natural distaters. I tend to be wary of almost any organised religon these days, and look upon them in the same light as I look upon politicians.

Aloha,

Claudia
            George Carlin has been saying the exact same thing of late, and I wholeheartedly agree. Spirituality is one thing...organizing it, trying to force it on other people and profitting from it financially is another thing.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Ho, ojosverdesdegato. You got me all scared by bumping this old thread -- I thought there was a new tsunami today.

Sorry Glen;
              Been away from the computer for a while, and was searching topics. . . trying to get back into Hawai'i Threads.Com ohana after long time no see!

Hope I didn't give you too big of a scare.

Take Care,

Claudia

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                George Carlin has been saying the exact same thing of late, and I wholeheartedly agree. Spirituality is one thing...organizing it, trying to force it on other people and profitting from it financially is another thing.
                Another variation comes from musician Kenny White, who says "if God tells you what to do, that's fine...if God tells you to tell ME what to do, then we have a problem."

Comment

All throughout history there has been devastation, from plagues to famine to droughts to wars and genocide.

What is happening today is not new. What IS new is the ability of all the world to SEE what is happening, often in real time, thanks to the internet and media coverage. It shocks, disgusts, and sometimes titillates.

Does media coverage change things, in a positive sense? Does it increase our awareness and sense of indignation?

Perhaps the constant barrage just desensitizes.

Comment

Working...
                  X