Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out world! Adrian is driving once again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out world! Adrian is driving once again!

I just finished driving from home, the soccer park, then to Pearlridge with my Mom, and her Ford Taurus. The reason why I mention the car, is because its easier to drive than the van! I can see the front of the car better, and its easier to control. Driving in mixed traffic during the evening was a great way to wake up my driving skills learned from three years ago. My main sticking points were learning how to slowly brake to a smooth stop and keeping the car centered in the lanes - but other than that, it feels like I'm doing it for a while. I drove to Circuit City, and parked in a stall, but it was hard for me to get a perfect park; same thing for when I drove into our garage.

Any tips I should get?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Watch out world! Adrian is driving once again!

Leave in Parked. Nah, nah. Joke!

Auntie LYNN
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

tips...um... learn to drive before venturing off in your new career... I would hate for you to start missing appointments due to being lost, car problems...or worse yet a wreck!

Master your driving then take up your career!

Manoa

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        tips...um... learn to drive before venturing off in your new career... I would hate for you to start missing appointments due to being lost, car problems...or worse yet a wreck!

Master your driving then take up your career!

Manoa
        no worry. I'll still be taking the bus (or atleast drive there with another driver) for service calls. Plus, usually this is the quiet time (school time is when I expect a lot of calls), so hopefully I can get my license by December.

Comment

I hate to throw a wet towel on your ambitions but from an insurance point of view...If you are delivering, picking up, buying or doing anything related to your business in that car and you get into an accident, several things come into play here.

The first of course is the fact that if you didn't state that you were using your car for business use and in fact were, you would be comitting insurance fraud and would be penalized accordingly.

The second thing is that any damage to the contents of the insured car (ie. customer's expensive Mac G5 with the broken display) would not be covered by the car's insurance so you would have to pay out of your own pocket.

If the car is owned by your mom and she owns a home, then her home owners insurance policy kicks in, but after an investigation, they would probably steer clear of reimbursement because of a fraudulent claim and they would also press charges against you (at that point it becomes a felony).

Now let's say that G5 had very important business information relating to accounts receivables in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and it broke in your possession. Liability claims would be directed at the deep pockets meaning your mom's home. Bottom line: your mom could lose her home in the event of an accident involving the loss of data of a customer's computer damaged in your mom's car that wasn't properly insured against business use of a personal vehicle.

BTW people who deliver pizza's in their personal vehicle and don't let the insurance company know that are committing insurance fraud. Same goes for delivering Amway products to a friend if you're a distributor writing off vehicle maintenance costs while not paying the higher insurance premium.

I know this sucks but that's the reality and I'd hate to have Adrian's life get all messed up because of these unforseen technicalities.

If your mom owns a home, tell her to get a revocable trust with a power of attorney and place all of her worldly possessions including her home in it to protect it from liability. And Adrian, any child living as a dependant or driving a homeowner's car is considered a liability in the insurance biz.

Perfect case in point is that guy who killed those three people up at Tantalus Drive. I'm sure the mom had a trust to protect her millions. If not she should have.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Adrian said he plans to catch bus for work-related stuff.
            Last edited by Palolo Joe; July 19, 2006, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              I hate to throw a wet towel on your ambitions but from an insurance point of view...If you are delivering, picking up, buying or doing anything related to your business in that car and you get into an accident, several things come into play here.
              I need the car to get to clients faster. I have no plans to carry people's computers home or anywhere out of their house. I'm getting tired of calling people to catch a ride to their place, when I know that TheBus takes an hour and comes at a specific time.

------------------

And tonight, I did some errands with the family (I got the parking down real good), then drove to Kapolei via Farrington, and man that was an experience! I could barely see the lane dividers (I'll do something about the lights) and a van was making me nervous, because he was tailgating me.

Up next: H1. I already had experience from HS, but that was with a Toyota Echo (which had a small engine). This time, I got v6 power!

Comment

keeping the car centered in the lanes
                I was trying to remember a trick I use to be sure I'm staying in the middle of the lane, and I finally did today. It's become automatic, so I had to think about it.

It works best if you're driving a car with a hood ornament, but that's not a requirement. In the left lane, line up the center of the hood with the dividing line between left and right lanes. In the right lane, line up the center of the hood with the road's shoulder.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

problem with today's cars is that you can't see the front of the car with it's sloped hoods.

I can see the excuse you give the cop after running into the rear of another car: But officer I was looking at the center of my hood to determine where I am on the road, who'd have thought the car in front of me was gonna stop!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    problem with today's cars is that you can't see the front of the car with it's sloped hoods.

I can see the excuse you give the cop after running into the rear of another car: But officer I was looking at the center of my hood to determine where I am on the road, who'd have thought the car in front of me was gonna stop!
                    I just take a quick look at the left and right side mirrors, then align myself if need to. Also, I think this trick works: look at the front left "corner" of the car, and you can align that spot with the edge of the lane. I think my HS driving instructor gave me that tip.

And can anyone give a good place to practice parallel parking during the evenings? (maybe starting 6-7pm). That's the only time my Mom can accompany me to drive, and I don't want to pay $80+ for just one lesson (they say that if the driving instructor asks you to parallel park, that'll determine if you pass or not).

Oh, and can anyone give a few possible routes for the Pearl City drivers test? I know: drive until you get it right, etc but the problem is that I'm good in basic driving. I can even listen to the radio and carry converstations with my friend (but I still follow the 2 second distance rule, do advance brake, and other safe things).

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      I just take a quick look at the left and right side mirrors, then align myself if need to. Also, I think this trick works: look at the front left "corner" of the car, and you can align that spot with the edge of the lane. I think my HS driving instructor gave me that tip.

And can anyone give a good place to practice parallel parking during the evenings? (maybe starting 6-7pm). That's the only time my Mom can accompany me to drive, and I don't want to pay $80+ for just one lesson (they say that if the driving instructor asks you to parallel park, that'll determine if you pass or not).

Oh, and can anyone give a few possible routes for the Pearl City drivers test? I know: drive until you get it right, etc but the problem is that I'm good in basic driving. I can even listen to the radio and carry converstations with my friend (but I still follow the 2 second distance rule, do advance brake, and other safe things).
                      Last Pearl City driver's test I took was up Waimano Home Rd. and left on Acacia (or some road like it), then down to Kamehameha and back up. The biggest obstacle I remember was ensuring you were in the correct left or center lane and using your turn indicator when trying to cross Waimano Home to get back into the PC Police Station lot.

Parallel parking could be practiced anywhere there's an empty parking lot, if you drag along a couple of beach chairs to use as substitutes for the car in front and the car behind. Just put 'em roughly 15 feet apart and next to a curb. (Sounds silly, but I imagine it would work.)
                      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I took my test at the Maunakea station, back when there was a drivers' testing station there (but it still quite obviously a former funeral home). Sadly, I can't remember where the test took me. Only that I nearly failed it, and that was despite only having to take about half of it (a police car and later an ambulance throwing us off). And I was actually looking forward to the parallel parking bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                          Parallel parking could be practiced anywhere there's an empty parking lot, if you drag along a couple of beach chairs to use as substitutes for the car in front and the car behind. Just put 'em roughly 15 feet apart and next to a curb. (Sounds silly, but I imagine it would work.)
                          I practiced it tonight at the Waikele Shopping Center, but I could barely see the chairs from the rear view mirror. I tried what I remembered being taught from HS, and its not the same w/out any vehicles to park inbetween.

I now it'll sound humbug, but can someone bring two more cars for me to practice with? Every relative I know is either working, or just not available. Unless I can prop two boards where the cars will be parked, then the only way I can do this is either get help from here, or pay $40/hour for something I just need to get jogged out of my head.

Comment

Instead of making a whole new thread (which might spur into one anyway), I have a question:

1) What's a good insurance company to go with?
                            2) What's a good small car?

My parents had State Farm for almost 20 years, but suddenly switched to Geico just to save a few bucks. The thing is, that Geico screwed up the name on the policy a few times too many (amongst other information) and if I recalled, they didn't have any troubles with State farm.

Saving money isn't a priority right now, but its trying to get the coverage for the car, plus anything related to the business while its in it (customer's computers, tools ,etc).

Also, I'm thinking of getting a late model small car (something like a Yaris or Fit) as I'm seeing the flaws in Ford vehicles (especially in the 12 year old Taurus). I want something intimate and has good gas milage. The only import I've driven, was at the High School (a Toyota Echo and a Corolla) and my uncle's Honda Accord, and I'm growing on imports for their reliability and better design.

EDIT: And no ricing cars please. I'm thinking of making a subtle joke, and getting a two door car like what SuperGeeks (Mini Cooper) and GeekSquad (Beetles) have.

Even though I exactly have a month to go, I have to keep on thinking ahead.
                            Last edited by adrian; August 12, 2006, 08:18 PM.

Comment

geico
                              try online quote and buy
                              they email your proof of.. immediately almost.

honda.
                              het planny cheap kine here.

Comment

Working...
                              X