What should I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect?

I have posted on the boards before of me possibly moving to Maui in the coming months. It's final, I have just bought one-way tickets to Maui for 1/21/07. What I want to know is the brutally honest truth. What should my girlfriend, her father and myself expect from Kihei and Maui in general when we step off of that plane in January? Pardon me for being general about this, I just want to get a boatload of opinions in this matter.

Re: What should I expect?

This topic's been covered quite a bit lately, in a lot of different threads and in a few more-specific directions. I'd recommend that you look around HT, read the comments in the other threads, then ask any more specific questions that may come up in your mind (as you did in some earlier posts.) Many of the contributors here can be extremely helpful with addressing particular issues, rather than a general request.

Comment

You've received a lot of good answers to your previous threads:Those first two are pretty general already, and are basically the same as this one. If you have specific, new questions, perhaps there's more information to be reaped. Or is there a specific, general answer you're looking for? Nobody can tell you flat out, "You'll do great!" or "Maui will eat you alive!" Chances are things will basically meander somewhere between those two.
      Last edited by pzarquon; July 19, 2006, 06:40 AM. Reason: Who says pttymcgee equals Patty?

Comment

I'm planning to move to Honolulu in Septmeber and am wondering a lot of the same thing. I've just been told by a lot of people that it's EXTREMELY expensive and that a lot of the natives don't take kindly to mainlanders...but that it's totally worth it!
        Love many. Trust Few. Learn to paddle your own canoe!

Comment

I guess I'm just a bit nervous about coming out to Maui. The plan right now is that my girlfriend and I are living with my parent to eliminate the rent factor so we can stow away as much money as we can. The idea is to have both of us put away at least $3500 each. Her father will be moving out to Maui in November, three months ahead of us so we will have somewhere to stay while we try to establish ourselves with jobs and lodging of our own. As I said before, we will be living in Kihei (as far as I know at this point) and I guess my narrowed down questions would be is that amount of money sufficient between both of us? Does anyone have any specific information on lodging in Kihei (we were thinking of renting an available room posting on mauinews.com)? Does anyone have any specific information concerning employment in and closely around Kihei (again, mauinews.com)?

I also want to take the time to thank everyone that has posted a reply to my inquiries, you have been nothing but helping to a confused 23 year old trying to find his place in the world. This is an exciting time, but also very nerve racking as 6 months is not a lot of time to fully prepare to move to Maui (but then I ask, what amount of time would be?) So again, thank you everyone for being so welcoming.

Comment

I guess it just comes down to trying to quiet my nerves and get this thoughts of failure out of my head. I'm trying to be realistic, but also getting lost in thoughts of paradise. I guess this post was rather unnecessary.

Comment

If all 3 of you find jobs, then the housing issue shouldn't be too bad. As for living in a rental place (unless it's a house), I think occupancy rules allow for no more than 2 people in a 1-bedroom apartment, so if he's renting a condo, he'll need to check the house rules. More than likely, if you're planning to move in with him, he should be looking at 2-bedroom apartments, which are pretty scarce.

Everything will be more expensive than you have experienced before, but if you live frugally, you will probably do OK. Can't tell you how much will be "enough", because it really depends on your lifestyle. Kihei is pretty much a resort town, so you shouldn't have much trouble assimilating. But one of the first things you want to do is make lots of local friends who can show you around and steer you clear of some places that might not be so welcoming of newcomers (as in some of the beaches).

The Maui News is your best bet for assessing what's available both in housing and jobs. You can also check out Craigslist-Hawaii, but there isn't a specific section dedicated to Maui so it might be tough for you to wade through all that. Since we have mentioned before that Maui is more touristy than most other islands, you shouldn't have problems finding any jobs in the hospitality area (restaurants, hotels, businesses that cater to tourists). And those don't generally require any experience, so you could just step in and start working. You might have to do some in person searches when you get to Maui because not all jobs are posted in places like the Maui News. You might get lucky just walking around and answering a "Help Wanted" sign. Just go to Maui with no expectations of getting that perfect first job that will pay you lots of money and then you won't be disappointed.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by teilchic
                I've just been told by a lot of people that it's EXTREMELY expensive and that a lot of the natives don't take kindly to mainlanders.
                Expensive? Hell, yes. It's an island (okay, several islands), so many goods have to be shipped in from elsewhere, and with the recent costs of fuel, the prices just keep going up and up and up.

As for how Mainlanders are treated - a lot depends on the attitude they bring with them. If you go in with an open mind and a desire to learn from many cultures different from the ones familiar to you, that's a good start. Don't insist that the way people did things "where I'm from" was superior; don't pretend that you know all about Island ways and behaviors (and NEVER try to imitate Pidgin - the local patois/dialect/way some residents speak - let me emphasize again the word NEVER.) Do learn how to pronounce Hawaiian words correctly; do be willing to try a lot of new foods and activities that may seem "weird" to you at first.

To some people, you will always be an outsider, no matter how long you live there. Doesn't necessarily mean they dislike you; just accept it, don't let it bug you, and try to be the best "outsider" they've ever known.

But hey, I'm in Seattle - what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  If all 3 of you find jobs, then the housing issue shouldn't be too bad. As for living in a rental place (unless it's a house), I think occupancy rules allow for no more than 2 people in a 1-bedroom apartment, so if he's renting a condo, he'll need to check the house rules. More than likely, if you're planning to move in with him, he should be looking at 2-bedroom apartments, which are pretty scarce.
                  Once my girlfriend and I get to Maui we will be staying with her father temporarily. We are actually trying to find out our place. Does anyone in or around Kihei have any specific areas that I should target while searching?

Comment

Kihei is a pretty amorphous "town". There's no real town center per se, except maybe for Azeka I and Azeka II shopping malls (where the post office is). Most of the high rises are timeshare condos, not really apartment buildings. When you go check out the apartment/condo rentals in the Maui News, go to the section for "South Maui". I saw an unfurnished studio apartment across the street from my favorite beach for $975 (it's in a time share building), but it's pretty far away from any grocery stores or other services and surrounded by other condo buildings.

Miulang

P.S. You might be able to utilize something like Mapquest or Google.earth to actually locate an address of a place that sounds appealing.
                    Last edited by Miulang; July 19, 2006, 08:17 AM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      As for how Mainlanders are treated - a lot depends on the attitude they bring with them.
                      Exactly. Too often here do we see mainlanders, (who may very well, beforehand, claimed online oh they are fulla aloha and they will be open to our lifestyle)... obvious fob mainlanders raising hell and arguing in public places; with the checkout girl: "I want the 8 cents promised me with this coupon!" but sir, that is for 3 cans! " I don't care! it doesn't make it clear!" as he turns to me and sez; sorry for holding up the line. While his wife holds their lil bbay... who is growing up to be another ayhole like duddy.

We see whiney el lay types complain about this size milk being out and they gotta buy a bigger size and it will all just spoil and waste cuz they are in their hotel room just two more days so why da hell don't we have a quart size for him, dammit!

or like the two haoles in line behind me at the kapiolani part thang they got often. This jerk poked me in the back and sez; "yer next". da hell kinda behavior is that!? rushing the line along when it aint slow, just to get pushy. literally. jerks!

Comment

you might also start by not calling folks here "natives".......................
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by teilchic
                          snip.....and that a lot of the natives don't take kindly to mainlanders...but that it's totally worth it!
                          Natives? See. That's where you'd get yourself into hot water. People are people. If you want to get along here, you will. If you want those who live here to adjust to you, it won't work. Behave as a guest for as long as it takes, until you're tired of behaving as a guest, and then behave as a guest for twice as long more. It's like being on HT. Don't dive in without first observing for a while, or the sharks will smell easy prey.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

but.... many natives refer to themselves as natives.

what is the word?
                            it sez this is their land.

legal defs:

Existing in or belonging to one by nature; innate: native ability.
                            Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.
                            Being one's own because of the place or circumstances of one's birth: our native land.
                            Originating, growing, or produced in a certain place or region; indigenous: a plant native to Asia.
                            Being a member of the original inhabitants of a particular place.
                            Of, belonging to, or characteristic of such inhabitants: native dress; the native diet of Polynesia.
                            Occurring in nature pure or uncombined with other substances: native copper.
                            Natural; unaffected: native beauty.
                            Archaic. Closely related, as by birth or race.
                            Biochemistry. Of or relating to the naturally occurring conformation of a macromolecule, such as a protein.

n.
                            One born in or connected with a place by birth: a native of Scotland now living in the United States.
                            One of the original inhabitants or lifelong residents of a place.
                            An animal or plant that originated in a particular place or region.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                              Behave as a guest for as long as it takes, until you're tired of behaving as a guest, and then behave as a guest for twice as long more.
                              Oh, that's VERY good!

Comment

Working...
                              X