Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Cow. I'm Meeting Tonight to Plan My 20th Reunion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Cow. I'm Meeting Tonight to Plan My 20th Reunion.

...someone say something encouraging.

ps: Something unrelated to "you think you're old? Blaine is already ____!"
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Holy Cow. I'm Meeting Tonight to Plan My 20th Reunion.

Get the most out of it and enjoy,enjoy, enjoy. We had our 40th last year and it seems it gets better each time. Next year we have our 60th b'day bash and it'll be good, guarantee. If you're on the plannig committee just remember that you can't pleas everyone, just as long as uoy have the whole class on mind when making decisions. Good Luck and have fun.

Comment

I didn't go to my 10th. I did go to my 20th and it was a blast! Everyone changed. The nerds became the ones with businesses and money. The jocks...well most in jail.heheheh The beauties became Big and all not so pretty. The plain Janes became Knock-outs.

Me ~ I, the Class Pep Chairman. The biggest mouth. I still remain with the Biggest Mouth! Still pUpule too. Still with my Big Beautiful NOSE!!!!

You'll enjoy your reunion. I'm going to my 50th Birthday Celebration Reunion in Vegas in October. Mckinley High School Class of 74!!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My 10 year reunion is next year and being that my best friend was our Senior Class President, I've already been volunteered to be on the committee. I told her I didn't want to be part of the planning...I just wanted to show up to the damn thing, be proud of the fact that I'm still single with no kids, maybe flaunt my education and career a little [especially to the bizatches who gave me a hard time back then]...and then get trashed.

Our first brainstorming meeting is next week!
        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
        We're not here to mess around
        Boston, you know we love you madly
        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
        You know we couldn't live without you
        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          ...someone say something encouraging.

ps: Something unrelated to "you think you're old? Blaine is already ____!"

I went to my 10th and had a blast.

I went to my 20th and all the flings that happened in the 10th got serious

I can't wait for the 30th and see what kinds of dramas happened after the 20th.

Something encouraging? Have you stepped up in your career or still doing the same since the 10th? I worked for the Gas Company during the 10th reunion...I was still working for the Gas Company and doing the same thing when the 20th came around and boy did I feel like I wasted 20-years of my life especially when my class mate Stuart Chang becomes a marketing VP for KHNL and I'm still in a holding pattern in my career. Yeah the 20th was a real eye opener for me.

Now well I'm retired and he isn't. So there, that'll be a nice thing to tell my classmates on the 30th..."What you're still working? I gave that up years ago"
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Scrivener, do try to enjoy yourself . . . and good luck.

Last September, McKinley HS Class of '63 combined with Kalani's, Kaimuki's, Farrington's, and Roosevelt's Class of '63 to celebrate our 60th birthdays in Las Vegas. Actually, we also met up at Dole Cannery in August, too. While I didn't make that reunion, I heard it was great.

A small group of about ten people, plus one on the mainland (she did a fantastic job), handled all the coordinating. [Nope, I wasn't one of those volunteers. Yeah, I'm a lazy bastard.]

Whoo whee !!! Everyone in Las Vegas had a blast. If anyone had complained, I'd have loved to see how that person would have done it better.

Again, good luck on your efforts. If people complain, ask them to set up the next one.
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Here is some encouraging words scriv -

If you were in my class... I would have wanted you to plan it also!

Youre brilliant in your own querky way...and I'm sure you will figure something out.

I have my 20th this year also... Fortunately, It's on the mainland so I get to just show up and enjoy!

The thing is I'm looking forward to it in a weird sort of way... I mean it was all of my classmates dream to live in Hawaii...less yet take a vacation here.

I get to pull the big to a lot of them
              Last edited by damontucker; July 21, 2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Scrivener, on our 20th reunion, Speedtek (we're classmates) set up an online chatroom for those of us who couldn't attend to at least be a part of the reunion at the Pagoda thru a live chat room. Too bad web cams weren't as good as they are now or else we'd have use them as well.

The best we could do visually was to take digital pics and send them thru the chat room as an attachment. With today's technology and lower costs, I imagine one could set up a video stream to far away classmates so they can see what's happening. Put the audio on a speaker system so everyone can chat to each other all over the world then put the VGA output on a video projector so everyone can see the high school queen 20-years later.

I'm sure with our collective geek knowledge in Circuit Circus we could get something in time for your 20th.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Just got back from my 30th a couple weeks ago - my advice is to have a range of activities available, but keep them uncomplicated and don't feel the need to fill up every hour. I did not attend every activity, but here's what the folks planning ours did:

Thursday evening: informal "kegger" at the home of one of the organizers
                  Friday morning: golf outing
                  Friday evening: reception at local hotel (where a group rate had been given to out-of-town guests)
                  Saturday morning: tour of school, to see what's been changed
                  Saturday evening: semi-formal dinner & presentation, followed by live music, at local country club, better-halves welcome
                  Sunday afternoon: potluck picnic at local park, families welcome

Maybe some of these ideas would be useful to you, maybe not. They also set up a website with a list of students they were unable to locate, so if anyone knew how to find someone, they could help trim the list. Final result for our class:
                  461 students total
                  22 deceased
                  60 unable to contact

Informally, I'd guess that half the class still lived within 100 miles of the school (and half of them did not attend the reunion); so, if you can get a sense of how many alumni will have to travel (interisland or from off-island), you may want to tweak your events planning as you learn this.

Comment

I seen some of my classmates on myspace, and my how they've changed! Tattoos, long hair cuts, babies right after HS... I just graduated three years ago, and already people are becoming unrecognizable.
                    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Thanks for the nice words. The planning was mostly productive and mostly fun. We set a date and sketched out possible activities we'll put up for vote on the class website, and our wonderful class president still had the contact info and some other materials from ten years ago. We divided up some tasks and in about a month, we'll meet again to solidify some of the plans.

Craig, your (and Speedtek's) suggestion of a chatroom and videostream went over very well. My class has always prided itself in doing things differently from the other classes (which, now that I'm a teacher, I realize most classes think of themselves!), and since that hasn't been done, it was greeted with enthusiasm. Another (we think) first: A reunion community service project, or a school-service project.

It's still a melancholy thing for me to think about the twenty years; I have a million thoughts about what's gone right and what's gone wrong and how much I miss those high school days and how I still haven't really left them, but getting together with my friends was encouraging. We've become good people and I'm proud to be associated with these people.

Go Eagles!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[QUOTE=scrivener

...Another (we think) first: A reunion community service project, or a school-service project.

Maybe your class can do something in October for Make A Difference Day.

Comment

[QUOTE=D'Alani][QUOTE=scrivener

...Another (we think) first: A reunion community service project, or a school-service project.

Maybe your class can do something in October for Make A Difference Day.[/QUOTE]
                          One of the colleges I attended (a private one in Ohio) does have reunion weekends where they go back and help fix up the campus. I've never been back there for one of those weekends, but it looks like they all have lots of fun seeing the old campus again.

For my high school reunions, my classmates who remain on Maui faithfully try to organize reunions for the class about every 5 years or so, except last year they said "foggedaboutit" and had the reunion in Vegas! That way, there's no real pressure on the local organizers to do everything, and when you get to be one old fogey from Hawai'i, seems like you'd rather meet your classmates in Vegas than on Maui!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Scrivener, you a McKinley grad?

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              Go Eagles!
                              People often mistake our sports uniforms as those of McKinley's, but I believe McKinley's colors are black and gold; ours are officially black, white, and old gold (whatever that means!).
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X