Tribute Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute Bands

With tonight's HOT FOR TEACHER Van Halen tribute concert at Pipeline Cafe, this sounds (and looks?) like a good time to discuss the subject.

Speaking of Pipeline Cafe, there have been quite favorable reviews of the recent performance there by Led Zepplica.

The one and only tribute band concert I've personally attended was ATOMIC PUNKS way back when at the now-gone Gussie LaMour's. Pretty darned accurate to the original, I must say! Their lead singer sounded and LOOKED a splitting image of DLR. The guitarist had Eddie's licks down to a "T" (for tap).

What I find especially amusing are the names these bands choose. Either taken from a popular song title, or, sometimes a twist on the original band's name, such as Iron Maidens (all-female band) or Buddhist Priest to name a few.

Then you have spins on the band member's names, such as the best one I've seen yet: "Tony I'm Lonely" in "honor" of Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi. Hilarious.

For the fun of it, here's an idea for a local Van Halen Tribute Band...

SPAM HAVEN (complete with wing-style logo and SPAM font)

Song tracks (parodies):

WAIANAE (to the tune of Panama)
    EXPLOSION ("" Eruption)
    JIMMY'S LAUGHING (**Jamie's Cryin')
    WALKING with the ANGEL (""Running with the Devil)
    YOU SMELL LIKE KIM CHEE (""You Really Got Me)
    MANAPUA MAN (""ice Cream Man)

...you get the idea.

TONIGHT! (7/22/06)
    Hot for Teacher, the Van Halen tribute band, with opening group Buddhist Priest, 7 p.m., Pipeline Cafe (Honolulu); all ages. 589-1999, 926-3000.
    $5 OFF COUPON! *Courtesy of HFT's website.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 22, 2006, 11:28 AM. Reason: name
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Tribute Bands

atomic punks' guitarists in the past have been snagged by D.L Roth for his group. Such is the level exemplified by the musicians ralph chooses.
    who is not in the least angry his group is pillaged by david. In fact it's an honor and a good piece of publicity, even tho he then must find a replacement guitarist.
    (ralph doesn't look like DLR as much as he looks much more, "cuter and handsome" as some females have it.)

Comment

....this sounds (and looks?) like a good time to discuss the subject.

"A tribute band rarely includes any members of the original band whose music is being honoured."

ah, wikipedia. the source of all instant pseudo knowledge on any subject anyone who logs on may want to put up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

The one and only tribute band concert I've personally attended was ATOMIC PUNKS way back when at the now-gone Gussie LaMour's. Pretty darned accurate to the original, I must say! Their lead singer sounded and LOOKED a splitting image of DLR. The guitarist had Eddie's licks down to a "T" (for tap).
        . . . . . . . . . . . . .

i remember them at gussy's. the night my friends and i were there, it was pretty empty but the guy (between songs) said something like, "you know, with such a small crowd, you might think that we'd do a half-@$% job but we came to rock and so we're gonna blow your mind!" and they did they deserved a 10 just for enthusiasm!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

that was the way it was for many bands. I was surprised to hear nancy Sinatra played there a couple years ago.
          what?! Gussie lamour's!?

why not at a Waikiki showroom!?
          but she, as many before and since, put on a great show.
          Saw Slug there for the first time years ago. and they rocked the half filled house. although regulars there, that was no reason to hold back, and they didn't!

Comment

My braddah and I went to the classic rock tribute band festival years ago in haleiwa.
            Atomic Punks headlined. And as they were seen as the main draw, even tho the other bands were very good, it was sad to see this aerosmith tribute band pushed off the stage after something like three songs or so. Just because the thing started much latet than it shoulda... and all bands subsequently started late, and there was a curfew for the whole shootin match and they wanted to get Atomic punks to do their whole set.
            I wrote a review of it and the Weekly put it in the "clubbed to death" column for that week. wheee.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              Speaking of Pipeline Cafe, there have been quite favorable reviews of the recent performance there by Led Zepplica.
              Led Zepplica owes much of their Hawaii success to their old friend Kimo55, especially for their first gig out here last year (by far the most successful of the two, from what I hear). He did all their promotional work, handled all the background stuff nobody ever sees and kept everyone happy. He even drove them around sightseeing and took them on the Mai Tai Catamaran at Waikiki.

Zepplica's first gig was pretty good, as far as tribute bands go, but I saw the real Led Zeppelin 30 years ago and didn't have any desire to see the fake one twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                didn't have any desire to see the fake one twice.
                nor, it seems, did I.
                promotion; it's a thankless job, fer da mos' part.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  nor, it seems, did I.
                  promotion; it's a thankless job, fer da mos' part.
                  Especially if you're dealing with ungrateful band members.

Comment

One of my favorite local tribute bands is Rubber Soul. Seen them a few times and they do pretty decent covers of The Beatles. I saw another Beatles tribute band from the mainland about 15 years ago, but I can't remember their name now.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Tribute Bands: Ladies Honoring Black Sabbath

Mistress of Reality, an all-female Black Sabbath tribute band will have a concert 10pm tomorrow night (9.22.07) at Hard Rock Cafe Waikiki. Tickets are $15 at the door. Opening act will be Cheesus.

I heard about this on a radio ad, and, as I don't follow the tribute band scene, Mistress of Reality is news to me. Last all-female tribute rock band I remember performing here was AC/DShe.

Gotta' love these names.

Upon listening to Mistress of Reality on their MySpace page (nice lookin' gals!), musically they're pretty spot on. But as usual, the lead vocals has me begging it was the original singer (in this case Ozzy), and not what I'm hearing. She kinda' sounds like Pat Benetar. Of course, I can't write her off without actually seeing them live.

The guitarist pulls off Tony Iommi quite well, to which would be my main reason to attend a tribute concert such as this. The fact that it's a female guitarist makes it even more cool. The fact that they're all women playing is VERY COOL. I'd rather LOOK at them than watch the original band members. lol

Though I don't plan on attending this one, just thought I'd mention it for anyone who might be interested.
                      Last edited by Pomai; September 21, 2007, 10:10 AM. Reason: Added official site link
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                        as I don't follow the tribute band scene, Mistress of Reality is news to me. Last all-female tribute rock band I remember performing here was AC/DShe.
                        Gotta' love these names.
                        CBS Sunday Morning did a feature on tribute bands on the Sep. 9 broadcast, including an interview with the all-female Lez Zeppelin.

Comment

There used to be a Doors tribute band here, named Morrison, back in the day. (Ron Montanero did an awesome job as Jim Morrison.) Anybody heard anything of them in the past few years?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There's an interview with the distaff Black Sabbath in today's Star-Buleltin.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              CBS Sunday Morning did a feature on tribute bands on the Sep. 9 broadcast, including an interview with the all-female Lez Zeppelin.
                              They had to go there. lol

Burl, mahalo for that SB article link. I just might go now! Besides, the tickets are reasonably-priced. We'll see.

With that, I came up with this list of
                              All-Female Tribute Band Name Suggestions:

Jet City Women - Queensryche

Pretty Women - Van Halen

Wanted Woman - Ratt

Witchy Women - Eagles

L.A. Women - The Doors

Magic Woman - Heart

Women from Tokyo - Deep Purple

Black Magic Women - Santana

Enter Sandwoman - Metallica

New World Women - Rush

Pearl Necklaces - ZZ Top (lol!)

Killer Queens - Queen

The Hellionettes - Judas Priest

52 Girlz - B-52's

Girlz on Film - Duran Duran

Dirty White Girls - Foreigner

Lov'n' Touch'n Squeez'n - Journey

Turn Her On Again - Genesis

Karma Chameleonettes - Culture Club

Beds of Roses - Bon Jovi

Smokin' in the Girls Room - Motley Crue

My Best Friend's Girls - The Cars

Pour Some Sugar - Def Leppard

Queen of Pain - The Police

Brown Sugah - Rolling Stones

Crazie Babiez - Ozzy Osbourne (or an Ozzy parody band named "Over the Hill" (from "Over the Mountain") lol

Mrs. Roboto - Styx

Queenston Town - UB40

Some are obvious, some are lame, while there's a few that sound pretty cool, too. "Women From Tokyo" for Deep Purple is kinda' catchy.

Got any more ideas?
                              Last edited by Pomai; September 21, 2007, 02:42 PM. Reason: post-review
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X