Howdy from Portland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Portland!

I didn't realize that there was a forum just for introductions, coming in from Google. Whoops! So I posted it on the thread it was sorta relevant to...

My other intro

The long and short of it is that my wife and I have moved around to a lot of places in the mainland (she was an "Airforce brat" and I think I must have the wandering gene ) looking for "our culture" and think maybe we found it finally! Heck, in a roundabout sort of way I learned that I somehow already knew the Hawai'ian word for island, before I started studying the language at all... *chicken skin*

Nice to "meet" you all!

Re: Howdy from Portland!

Hey, howzit going? Weather is unbearably hota little south of you. Hows the temp up in Oregon?
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

The weather here's pretty hot too. Seems like the east coasters got it first, and then it moved over to us. It's been over 100F the last couple of days here and we're roasting (no AC! ) Rumor has it the high on the coast today is 72, seriously considering heading out that way...
      Last edited by Bard; July 23, 2006, 09:44 AM. Reason: Fixed smiley

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
        The weather here's pretty hot too. Seems like the east coasters got it first, and then it moved over to us. It's been over 100F the last couple of days here and we're roasting (no AC! ) Rumor has it the high on the coast today is 72, seriously considering heading out that way...
        Wow! And I thought it was hot here in Kailua. Hope it cools down for you guys real soon. I'm headed up there in last Aug. (doing the Hood to Coast relay race).
        http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Yeah, this weather is really unusual. Every so often in the middle of summer we'll get a little heat wave for a few days. Most of the summer is pretty moderate. It's the winter that kills you -- 35-45 degrees, 8 hours of "daylight" (slightly brighter gray clouds) and lots of rain.

Although I mostly like the spring through fall weather here (especially the crisp winds and changing leaves in the fall!) the winter drives me nutty. Goes with the package deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith H.
            I'm headed up there in last Aug. (doing the Hood to Coast relay race).
            Does the relay go through Washinton Park/Forest Park trails, along the river near the decommissioned --not too long after Sunday18May1980 Mt. St. Helens blew down the Cowlitz River it was determined that the intakes ( h2O for and cooling for reactor, in addition to evaporation/AC tower from Trojan ) could have been plugged by all the sub-water-surface "backwash" (muds, rocks the size of sheds to golf balls and unimaginable whatevers over the Columbia River bottom UPSTREAM all the way to the Portland/Vancouver Weyerhauser docks and no doubt something sunken all the way up past the interstate bridge,,, "backwash") [/INDENT]

of Trojan Nuclear-Power Plant [/SIZE] were "compromised", and WNW to Astoria along the Columbia, or more southerly, to Til'lammook?
            Last edited by waioli kai; July 27, 2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Ahh the decommissioned reactor.

And people seriously question whether Springville in the Simpsons is based on Portland. (Matt Groenig grew up here, and named characters after streets in downtown -- Quimby, Lovejoy, Flanders, ...)

Comment

Working...
              X