Utah Here I come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Here I come.

Wow, I remember telling my coworkers eight months ago about my plan to leave the Bishop Museum and paradise to live up there in the mainland. There was a lot of neigh sayers still are, about my decision, to move, like I was some retard for wanting something different and now that I look ever closely on the calendar It's the 23 of July and my plane doesn't leave until August 6th which is around the dang corner. Before I know it, I'll be in Utah.

My co-workers at the museum threw a surprise going away party for me at the museum on Friday which was fun, we had Karaoke beer beer and more beer, oh and tons of FOOD. Although at the end of the party when everyone was breaking down they had a surprise for me. My very attractive and pretty friend told me to follow her out of the cafe which I reluctantly did and she mentioned that she had something big she wanted to give to me. So I stepped out the back door looking for it and she grabs my digital cammera and slowly stepped away from me. So there I was like an idiot drunk, sweaty and happy, wondering what she had instored for me, I was thinking a whole bunch of things and right in the middle of my thoughts I suddenly heard loud foot steps coming from behind me I turned my head a little too late and saw one of my co-workers with a big cooler over his head, I ducked anticpating it and before I knew it I was covered with ice and cold water which cascaded down my back sendin cold shivers through my entire body. That sure sobered me up after all the shots of alcohol and beer I was consuming. I wonder if they are going to do something to me before I leave, but until than I have so much parties to go to........and lots of alcohol to consume as if I haven't drunken that much already. But I'll sure miss Hawaii.
    Last edited by Pedro; July 23, 2006, 12:57 PM.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Utah Here I come.

Originally posted by Pedro
    But I'll sure miss Hawaii.
    I sure miss it just by reading your post. I hope everything goes well in your move.

Comment

Hey Pedro! Not all of us co-workers were/are nay sayers. I've been telling you from the beginning to "Go for it!" And we'll miss you too.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Good luck, Pedro! I lived in Provo for a few years. It definitely was a cultural shock--very few dark-haired people there, and the Asians you do find there are usually not from Hawaii. They do have a lot of buffet restaurants that are very cheap, and good ice cream parlors, so not all is bad.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
          Hey Pedro! Not all of us co-workers were/are nay sayers. I've been telling you from the beginning to "Go for it!" And we'll miss you too.
          Thanks, you and certain others were very encouraging with my decision to move, but here's hoping everything goes well UTAH here I COME!!!

Comment

Good Luck Pedro!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Pedro, have a wonderful experience in Utah. It will be whatever you make of it. For sure, make sure you get into the mountains and canyons and visit the Great Salt Lake. Make some non-Mormon friends and they'll take you drinking in the private clubs. The 2 years I lived in SLC were interesting and I'm still in awe of the natural beauty that surrounds that area. Maybe later in the fall when it's not so hot, you can convince your family in Utah to take you down into the Bryce/Zion National Parks area (sort of on the way to Vegas). That is truly some of the most magnificent scenery I have ever witnessed. Hey yeah! And you'll be about 4 hours away from Vegas by car!

Let us know when you land and what your impressions are of the place!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good luck, Pedro. And, like anywhere, folks from Hawaii have a tendency to find each other and form 'ohana in Utah, too. I'd suggest you drop a line to Kimo Watanabe, a Hawaiian musician I got to know through my podcast. I guarantee he'll be tuned into the Hawaii scene in Salt Lake City and surrounding environs, and should be able to help you get a taste of home whenever you need it.

Comment

Today is my last day here my flight leaves tonight Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa!!! Utah Here I Come!!!

Comment

Bon Voyage, Pedro!!! I've spent a little time in Utah as I have family in SLC. Miulang is right. The scenery is beautiful. One summer my daughter and I drove from SoCal to SLC via the Grand Canyon and Zion. Spectacular!

I think local boy, Alema Harrington, is a sportscaster in SLC. Sorry, I don't have time to dig deeper in Google.

Comment

Aloha Pedro! We miss you already. All the Museum guys salute you and the ladies send hugs and kisses.

Comment

Aloha Pedro and farewell where ever you fare!!

Comment

Pedro, where are you?!

Comment

ALOHA evry one from the beautiful state of UTAH!!!! YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAW!

Comment

Yay! Pedro's alive! Well, how hot is it today in beautiful Layton? You experiencing culture shock yet?

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X