M. Night Shyamalan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M. Night Shyamalan

Any thing from M. Night Shamalan looks good except when you see it. I mean he knows how to tell a story but when he twists the story around at the end which normal story tellers always do he seems to make the story look simple when it wasn't to begin with and ruins the whole effect. The only movie I enjoyed from him was six sense. I hated signs and the village. But I have to admit that even though I don't like his movies the dude has an eye for tell a good story.
    Last edited by admin; July 25, 2006, 06:38 AM. Reason: Split from "Spiderman 3" thread.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Spiderman 3 Teaser

Well, The Village did suck, but Signs was just great film-making and pretty-good story-telling. People expecting to be scared hated it, but people accepting it on its own terms, as an exercise in suspense, saw one of the most interesting studies since Hitchcock, I believe.

But we all have differing tastes.

You left out Unbreakable, which I thought was quite good. In a lot of ways, it had quite a bit in common with the Matrix.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

He does have a knack for telling a story and good stories are all that counts
      A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Re: M. Night Shyamalan

I liked "The Sixth Sense," and thought a couple of his other films weren't bad (but never great), but I think the man just started to believe his own hype. The trailers for "Lady in the Water" practically scream "disaster," and the reviews, on a whole, have generally ranged from ho-hum to vicious.

Appearing in his own film as a writer who a psychic says is merely misunderstood but will someday be called a prophet? Having the only skeptical character be a movie reviewer upon which substantial abuse is heaped? Even I can't believe it's come to that.

I'm sure it's no "Battlefield Earth," but... considering how much he staked on this pet project (to the point of concurrently creating a "making of" book and burning bridges with Disney), there's no way this is a comeback.

Comment

Wow. I had no idea. I'll still go and see his new film, though. I'm a great giver of the benefit of the doubt.

He really won me over with the commentary track on The Sixth Sense. It was clearly a well-thought-out film, and his commentary revealed a thoughtful film-maker and writer. I don't think he got lucky with that one.

So I'm already there for Lady.

Side note: Bryce Dallas Howard is a total cutie, but don't you think kissing her would be like kissing Richie Cunningham? The thought is something of a cold shower.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            You left out Unbreakable, which I thought was quite good. In a lot of ways, it had quite a bit in common with the Matrix.
            I was kind of wondering about this but how is Unbreakable and The Matrix have in common?

Comment

"The Matrix" and "Unbreakable" are, at some level, like two intersecting worlds, one "real" and one "fantastic." In "The Matrix," Morpheus helps Neo navigate the two and realize his potential, as Elijah does the same for David in "Unbreakable." Or so say various reviews. Never saw "Unbreakable," though I'm told it's better than "Signs" (which to me is faint praise).

Comment

Hmmm but Morpheus wasn't going around destorying things to get Neo to come out and be known.

Comment

I saw 6th sense, unbreakable and signs each one time. All three films got into my head for a long time afterwards. The constant factor in each was how c..a..l...m everything flowed throughout the film, interspersed, of course, with the spooky parts.

My only objection with any of those three films (which I think were brilliantly made) was the alien in Signs. How does one go back to Jesus after facing an alien holding yer kid? We should have never seen the aliens; the rustles and shadows were perfect enough, but seeing the creature is when that movie jumped the shark.

pax

Comment

I don't think seeing the aliens made the movie bad, but rather the aliens had a pretty bad weakness with water and they decided to invade a planet that 3/4 of the surface is water.

But I just realized that in the movie Alien Nation the newcomers when exposed to salt water they would die but fresh water it was okay with them. Maybe the aliens in Signs might be the opposite, they can handle salt water fine (which is what most this planet's surface is covered in) but have a problem with fresh water.

Comment

the context of the aliens struck me, because Mel Gibson's character is a minister. After seeing something so out of this world, threatening his kid, he uses this experience to return to his faith, which I couldn't understand. The more I thought about it, the less I could see anyone putting stock in any religion after such an experience.

pax

Comment

I've enjoyed all his films although "Signs" the least.
                        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Yeah you would think that after the people on this planet finally knowning the answer to the age old question of "Is there life out there" it seems like it's business as usual.

I did say in another place a long time ago that M. Night Shyamalan using baseball metophors is the kind of director that makes his movies a doubles kind of hits as opposed to making home run kind of hits.

Also as a reminder if you want to discuss his latest movie Lady in the Water someone please make another thread for it (I haven't seen it yet, but I will sometime soon).
                          Last edited by helen; August 5, 2006, 11:47 PM. Reason: adding a link to another thread

Comment

of his movies, 6th Sense disturbed me the most, particularly that scene where those bullies threw him into that room upstairs and locked the door. I cannot see a child getting hurt, and will avoid any program depicting so. In fact, Titanic *pissed* me off for that reason and I burst into tears when the poor mother was putting her children to sleep...and I don't burst into tears easily.

pax

Comment

The one that could actually happen in real life would be The Village. Not that it would disturbe me.

Comment

Working...
                              X