America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America

This topic may have been covered before but I don't see any vestiges so here goes... The point of this thread is to incite an intersting conversation, not turn into a 'flame-fest' or 'America bashing forum'->plz heed Newrootz. That said:

As can be seen throughout history no country has lasted forever. There comes a time when corruption rots societal infrastructure, i.e. Rome, and the power begins to crumble. Or an empire get stretched too far and collapses under the wight of itself. I could keep going but you get the idea. How long will America last? We've got a cool 200 under our belt, when do you foresee the splintering of the good 'ol USA? Rome laster for centuries, and the USA has been hailed as the greatest achievement of human kind thus far. Do you think this means we've got an equally long or longer shot? Things are kinda in tumult on the world stage now, do you think this is just another up/down on the rollercoaster of this country's existence? Do you think because the US at the time of it's founding was so novel that it is merely a prototype and will fall to the wayside as democracy is perfected by other countries?
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Re: America

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
    How long will America last? We've got a cool 200 under our belt,
    rome/america.

don't see how it can be compared. we got a cool 200? Miniscule.

How long will america last?!
    Who has a crystal ball? No one.
    but they may have a resident Nostradamus over at americathreads.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      rome/america.

don't see how it can be compared. we got a cool 200? Miniscule.

How long will america last?!
      Who has a crystal ball? No one.
      but they may have a resident Nostradamus over at americathreads.com
      Or one over at www.raptureready.com

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wait. Let me look into my Lemurian Diamond Ball!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          Or one over at www.raptureready.com

Miulang
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EsfXrZJTU8

Comment

Oh touche, Auntie... hehe

Prok. K., you should try your hand at being a comedian. Of course 200 is minute. I don't want future telling, just an informed guesstimate of the country's lifespan. Mine is that this country is going to tank well before its 400th B-day.

Comment

I going learn dat song Kimo55!!! And da Moves!!! heheheheh

Rapture!!

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Alright time to turn this into a productive thread. Prof. K., rant. Have at it. I'm sure something controversial will come up and spark discussion. This is officially your open forum for all topics you wish to rant about, except your loyal pupil of course. So what is first?

Comment

You know, I had a whole big cynical response written out, but screw it. Ainokea.

Google "peak oil" if you want one lead though. I'm not sure things will ever get as bad as the super pessimistic predict, but it has the potential.

Comment

First off, I want to make this crystal clear:

I love the United States of America. Its beginnings, its principles, the most noble aspects of the constitution, the three branches of government, the ideals of freedom and liberty. Even as the USA has dealt with some deeply scarring issues which, on the most macro of levels, cannot help but be an inevitability of a maturing nation, I find myself marvelling from time to time in the country's ability to reel through it and (many times, not all) deal with situations as soberly as possible. Blemishes of human rights issues (Native Americans, African Americans, civil rights, as large scale examples) have been dealt with in the courts, brought to the masses through a free media and the opportunity to organize granted an inherent civil right.

There are many, many things for which to be proud of the United States of America. She ain't perfect, and in some areas there is fretful decay, but barring an invasion by Canada, the country is going to continue to spend time on the map.

That said...the USA isn't the only democracy on the planet. Dozens of other nations can make this same claim. It isn't even the largest democracy on the planet. India gets to make that claim. It cannot say that the 'sea to shining sea' has created a protective cove, insulating it from many of the world's ills. There is a third world country right on its southern border.

It needs to look to history. At the turn of the 20th century, the US wasn't an emerging superpower; it was an emerging market. The sun never set on the British Empire at that time. And less than 20 years ago, there were three superpowers, and two of them were communist (USSR, China).

Many say that this century will be the century of Asia. India and China are both enjoying bull economies. But what can the US learn from this? We are facing some insane statistics, like "for every engineer grad student comes out in the US, there are XXXX Indian and Chinese engineers hitting the workforce". How do we compete with this?

This subject keeps me up at night more than plastic bag consumption, btw. I've no answers, but I am happy to share the angst.

pax

Comment

Yeah, well-said. The thing that bothers me most right now (besides the potentially looming energy crisis, not to mention President Cowboy ) is the Wal-Mart-ization of the country. I don't just mean cheap superstores popping up everywhere, it's the whole attitude -- just pave over another 200K sqft, run all the local business out of business, and move on! Homogenize everything, make all the areas the same! Consume, consume!

One of my favorite things I've read while studying Hawai'i is this: there's no word for "consumer" in Hawai'ian. It's give, receive, participate. Not consume. Right on

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                        One of my favorite things I've read while studying Hawai'i is this: there's no word for "consumer" in Hawai'ian. It's give, receive, participate. Not consume. Right on
                        Ho'opau = to consume.

There ya go.

Every living thing on Earth consumes, whether it/he/she has a "word" for it or not, whether it fits into the "non-American people are superior" mindset or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Every living thing on Earth consumes, whether it/he/she has a "word" for it or not, whether it fits into the "non-American people are superior" mindset or not.
                          Aww and I was having such fun ranting. :P

Anyway, it drives me nuts to hear people say things like "the consumers voted for X and such in the election" ... What happened to "citizens"?

Comment

I've never heard consumers used in the context of elections. But yeah, we're all consumers, be it of BMWs or H2O.

Like Pu'ai, I figure this century will belong to Asia. It doesn't keep me up at night, though. Just makes me want to start taking Chinese lessons! As web geeks are wont to joke, "I, for one, welcome our non-Western overlords!" Or something like that.

Comment

I'm not going to win this one am I?

I just don't like the "sheeple" connotation of the word. Like a consumer is what a person is in their entirety, rather than something they do.

Comment

Working...
                              X