Visitor wants to go 'local' right away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor wants to go 'local' right away

I have been to Hawaii many times because I have cousins there and love it!

Since I always stay with my cousins, I never really do the usual touristy things in Waikiki for which I am grateful!

But I was just curious, what do most of you consider to be things unique to locals that set them apart from tourists, or how would a visitor act like a local as soon as possible?

Some of the ones I thought of? Food--spam for breakfast and big lunch specials with those mounds of rice, macaroni salad, etc.

Shopping--avoiding the ABC stores and going to the big box stores, trying to save a buck just like the mainlanders do, like at Walmart's. Buying souvenirs for friends on the mainland at Long's when they have sales or the flea market?

Talking, walking slower?

Any others?

Re: Visitor wants to go 'local' right away

You know da kine his and hers Aloha Print material outfits? Big No No!

Auntie Lynn

btw: Mahalo for starting this thread. It will come in handy for many.
    Last edited by 1stwahine; July 25, 2006, 08:28 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Don't begin and end every encounter with "Aloha!" It has its place, but conspicuous use is a big red flag. And no matter how tempting, and how emphatic the tour guide, don't ever bellow, "Alo-o-o-o-o-o-o-oha!"

Ditto on the his-and-hers matching thing.

And wave when driving to acknowledge another's courtesy... But, otherwise, forget how to drive correctly. Let everyone else go first at a four-way stop (no matter how annoying you're being), merge poorly, and signal late or not at all!

Comment

Wear rubber slippers, and make sure you make that "slap slap" sound when you drag your feet across the floor. Basic local dress when not at work: t-shirt, shorts and rubber slippers.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Okay. Here's a goofy tip I actually use, even though I'm already local. Because when I visit Hilo, my wife and I might be mistaken for tourists. I have to rent a rental car, and locals can spot those a mile away. So I go to Longs, and buy a distinctly local bumper sticker. Say, "Got Poi?"

Just remember to take it off when you return your rental.

Of course, after a day or two, the inside is also filled with grocery bags, beach toys, baby wipes and swimming diapers, which really completes the illusion.

Now, I don't think it really prevents break ins, or earns that much extra karma when navigating around the island. I just don't want folks thinking we're tourists, even if it's completely irrelevant and all in my head!

I can't wait for the Superferry... so I can drive my rust-mottled, flaky-paint tin box instead. No mistaking that thing for a rental!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Wear rubber slippers, and make sure you make that "slap slap" sound when you drag your feet across the floor.
            but fo shuah not on a floor in a home.
            Originally posted by dlkbc
            how would a visitor act like a local as soon as possible?
            well that's an oxymoron. a contradiction in terms. a double negative, cancelling itself out.

ya just can't act like a local as soon as possible.
            only tourons do things as soon as possible to make a fake effect. we took decades to get to where you wanna be in one weekend.
            nope. ya can't get there from here.

Comment

eh PZ - shouldn't the bumper sticker say "get" poi?
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Some of the ones I thought of? Food--spam for breakfast and big lunch specials with those mounds of rice, macaroni salad, etc.
                I could be wrong, but if you aim to do this, it seems pretty labored to me. It's like someone watched "Fifty First Dates" 1-2 times, got all the spam references and figures they want to be local too. See if you like the bento, that's a more low profile local food. Me, I never tried to conform to "local" diets (I'm a vegetarian so it's difficult), but I found myself getting along with others just fine. I remember one older lady asked if I was a "local boy", best thing I had heard since I moved in

Comment

So some of you don't think that a person can become a local for decades?!

How smug and patronizing of you! How long have you been there? Unless you are a several generation Hawaiian, I don't think that you can criticize.

Someone wants to make a sincere effort to fit in and I thought that I might have a good chance since I have been to Hawaii 20 plus times, stay with locals and am Asian (look like I'm from there) but according to you two, nooooo.

Every single time that I have been there, I always get people asking me for directions, even so-called locals.

Thanks to the others for the kind suggestions.

Comment

How smug and patronizing of you! How long have you been there? Unless you are a several generation Hawaiian, I don't think that you can criticize.

Someone wants to make a sincere effort to fit in and I thought that I might have a good chance since I have been to Hawaii 20 plus times, stay with locals and am Asian (look like I'm from there) but according to you two, nooooo.

Every single time that I have been there, I always get people asking me for directions, even so-called locals.

Wow... why don't we take a breather here...... you asked and they expressed their opinion... no need to start calling them smug and patronizing.... if you were not ready for true opinions..why ask at all.

I am from Nigeria originally and I know exactly what they mean... you can't act or become a Nigerian by so called trying to dress like us or having your house full of african pictures and figures...or so called getting your hair braided...... that's not what makes you african... so I think it's the same thing.... you just can't act as a local in one weekend or how ever how many times you visit.... it takes time just like everything else to learn and assimilate yourself into any culture... and yes... it can take a decade....

Just my 2 cent....
                    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I had been meaning to ask this but never got around to posting, and this seems related...

I've got a book from the library written by two UofH guys about Pidgin. Been trying to learn from that, the internet, and of course on here. I can understand a lot alright now but would probably make a doofus of myself trying to speak with it at the moment. Is this something I should keep pursuing if I want to go there? I'm no stranger to languages (took Latin in college and studied Japanese on my own) and it's been fun learning so far.

Comment

You asked a very loaded question for this board. Check the rest of this forum and you'll see that ole' Kimo was holding back(seriously)...Maybe he was in an extra good mood when he posted this time (just back from the bar? :-) At least he didn't tell you to "stay on da mainland" which is his usual answer.

Actually, trying to just "appear" more local is what is "patronizing". I think that goes for anywhere in the world not just Hawaii (as someone pointed out). That being said, the fact that you have such FAMILY who are locals, should help you more than any "act of localism" you could do. Your family will steer you in all the right directions.

Either way, congratz on the move...and have a great time :-)
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

well don't that take the cake. for over the top mainland pushy arrogance.

"criticize"
                          hmmmm.
                          that speaks volumes.

You pose a query. an answer is extended.
                          "no. can't be done"
                          and it is
                          "smug and patronizing"
                          geez.

you can set yer watch by the times this old saw is illustrated here by some spoilin for a fight:
                          "everything is yellow, to the jaundised eye..."

Comment

I have been to Hawaii many times because I have cousins there and love it!

Since I always stay with my cousins, I never really do the usual touristy things in Waikiki for which I am grateful!

But I was just curious, what do most of you consider to be things unique to locals that set them apart from tourists, or how would a visitor act like a local as soon as possible?

Shopping--avoiding the ABC stores and going to the big box stores, trying to save a buck just like the mainlanders do, like at Walmart's. Buying souvenirs for friends on the mainland at Long's when they have sales or the flea market?

Talking, walking slower?

Any others?

Be yourself. Trying to "act" local will only get you in trouble here.

Comment

So some of you don't think that a person can become a local for decades?! How smug and patronizing of you!
                              Um, that? That's not local.

Look, we're giving some advice, but it really won't make you local. It'll just make you less annoying. Make you a better guest. Maybe help you fake it better. It sounds like you blend in pretty well already, though, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But your response to those who point out that one can't 'go local right away' definitely shows there may be some lingering issues. Don't try to "become" local. You and everyone else will know when that happens. If you don't feel it yet, don't act it... locals in any place will know the difference.

Just be yourself. But with less "smug and patronizing" talk.

Comment

Working...
                              X