when the bugs bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when the bugs bite

tonight I got bit by an evil centipede (who has since been decapitated and flushed down the toilet). I took some claritin to combat any histamine activity, have ice on it and find the throbbing and soreness distracting, to say the least. There are two little vampire holes surrounded by a silver dollar-sized red pu'u.

I called my mom and she said knowingly, "ah, somebody is jealous of you". Well, that wasn't what I asked, Ma. I want to know WHAT DO I DO TO IT TO MAKE IT BETTER!?!?! Mahalo na'e for the mana'o.

So what remedies do you perform to make a bug bite better? Centipede tips are welcome, but feel free to share for all sorts of vermin, like wasp stings, scorpion bites, stepping on wana, etc.

pax

Re: when the bugs bite

I am sincerely sorry that I have nothing to contribute to relieve your suffering, but I did need to say "thank you" for not including any photos relevant to your posting. *shudder!*

Comment

These little devils seem to be a major con to island living. It's funny though, because when I lived in Makiki, I only saw 1 around the home; in Hawaii Kai, I don't recall seeing any. Do they only end up in certain parts of any given Island?

I wish I had some words of encouragment for Pua'i Mana'o, or even some kind of remedy. All I can think of -- Neem powder can provide some relief, while Neem oil could probably be used as a repellent for future encounters.

I'm no homeopathic or ayurvedic expert, so you should do some follow-up research if any of that intrigued you.

Comment

I feel for you Pua'i!

Prehospital Care: No specific first aid measures are available for centipede stings. Seek medical care if pain persists or systemic symptoms occur. Local application of ice may reduce some of the discomfort; however, others have anecdotally found that local heat application or immersion in hot (nonscalding) water is more comforting.

Emergency Department Care:

* Management of centipede stings is entirely supportive.

* Pain may be managed with systemic analgesics, as necessary.

* Pain may be managed with local injectable anesthetics (eg, lidocaine, bupivacaine). These can be injected locally or used in performing a regional nerve block. A standard text should be consulted regarding techniques of regional anesthesia.

* Tetanus status should be updated.

* Prophylactic antibiotics are not necessary, but secondary infections should be cultured and treated with appropriate antibiotics (to cover gram-positive bacteria).

* Following initial care, examine the wound for any signs of secondary infection or necrosis.

* Patients should be observed for approximately 4 hours for evidence of systemic toxicity.

Consultations: In the rare case of severe swelling of a stung extremity where a possible developing compartment syndrome is a concern, surgical consultation for compartmental pressure testing should be obtained.
        http://www.emedicine.com/EMERG/topic...tion~treatment

Comment

how is it now?

My brother got bit by centipede. necrotizing fasciitis set in very fast. that flesh eating bacteria. Fortunately hospital got it in time.

Comment

Fresh kalo stem directly applied to the bite is what I'd try first. If that's not readily available, meat tenderizer or a poultice of fresh garlic and onions directly applied to the bite is also worth trying. Just in case those don't work, isopropyl alcohol and Neosporin serve as a backup. However, it's best to seek the assistance of a health care professional.
            Last edited by Jonah K; July 27, 2006, 09:11 AM.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              I called my mom and she said knowingly, "ah, somebody is jealous of you". Well, that wasn't what I asked, Ma. I want to know WHAT DO I DO TO IT TO MAKE IT BETTER!?!?! Mahalo na'e for the mana'o.

i've heard this before also. do you know how this story got started?

Comment

whoa! After reading this, I wonder if I should be waiting for anaphylactic shock to be setting in!

But eh, I think it is getting better. The holes are scabbing and the red is subsiding. It is sore though, like a hard bruise. I haven't left it alone, preferring to keep rubbing it, messing with it, vibrating the area quickly to keep the blood flowing. Maybe taking the claritin-d right away had a good benefit to it? Either that, or ke Akua deciding that no mere critter is gonna take down his daughter?

Mahalo though. I am going to print this out because stings aren't something to be messed with. We all know stories of someone suffering/dying because of allergic reactions to stings of all sorts. Luckily this wasn't so serious for me.

pax

Comment

Nasty critters, those centipedes. The thing I find most annoying about the aftermath of an attack is that the lump left behind itches but is too painful for a day or two to scratch.

I wouldn't shed a tear if I heard the welcome news that centipedes had somehow become extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                    Nasty critters, those centipedes. The thing I find most annoying about the aftermath of an attack is that the lump left behind itches but is too painful for a day or two to scratch.

I am dealing with that by placing two fingers on each side of the lump and vigorously shaking for a solid 30-45 sec or so. The sensation is one of itching, but in a "getting the blood there" sort of way. I keep doing that throughout the day.

pax

Comment

Found this out by looking through links, ya might want to try Ti Plant roots:

http://kms.kapalama.ksbe.edu/project...eaf/index.html

Comment

I was stung twice on my hand last Sunday by a wasp. It was hiding in my mailbox, so be careful, folks! I left a note for the mail carrier explaining what happened and asking her to please be careful. I got a note back from her the next day saying she is seeing a lot of wasps flying out of mailboxes when she opens the doors! Maybe it's common, but this is a new one on me.

Anyway ... after a couple of days the stung area swelled up and got really red. Then it burned and itched. The burning was intense, really painful, and this was four days after the sting! I tried working with my paw wrapped in ice, which was entertaining if not effective.

It kept getting worse. I finally went to the doctor Thursday -- it's infected. Doc says many/most stings in Hawaii end up getting infected because this is such a great environment for bacteria. So now I am taking antibiotics, which is not something I relish because I'm allergic to a LOT of antibiotics, and I keep developing new allergies even to antibiotics I didn't use to be allergic to, so every time I take one it makes me a little nervous.

My point ... and I do have one ... Pua'i Mana'o, please keep an eye on the stung area. If it is getting worse instead of better by now, don't hesitate to go to a doctor. Sting infections are bad news, as Kimo55 pointed out above.

Are centipede stings more painful than wasp stings? I see a centipede sting in my future and I want to know what to expect.

Comment

Read these accounts of folks who keep em as pets:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/arch...php/t-254.html

Comment

Thanks Maddie. My bite is healing fine, and I suspect that it was a shallow bite for a centipede. I have these two lovely scabs (about .5mm long each) and the area under it is fading and softening. I have a feeling that if the bastard really bit me deep, and more of its venom secreted, I would have needed to go to the doctor.

pax

Comment

Pua'i Mana'o: Glad to hear you are better. Funny, (well, not really) a centipede stung me last Sunday on the back of my middle finger knuckle.

It burned for about 3 hours. I too, took antihistimine. I also took ibuprofin and iced it. Like you, I think I was lucky because he only got me once and not deeply. My hand swelled up pretty good for about 2 days. I had no itching at all.

MadAzza: I don't think I want to try the wasp or hornet! It sounds like you did not fare so well.

You know those funny-looking wasps that build the mud nests? They don't sting, do they?

I just read that other thread about stomping vs grinding bugs. I grind--but I don't think I am evil. I think you ought to grind a centipede--otherwise it will just crawl away (and laugh at you!). They are arthropods not bugs, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X