5.0 Quake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.0 Quake!

Didja feel it? I'm over here at Oceanic Institute all by myself in my office and the two beams positioned over my desk do the hustle. I was glad it wasn't a rockslide from the hills behind us! Also glad it didn't generate a tsunami. A magnitude of 5.0 is pretty beefy for us! Here's an informative URL:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/ptwc/bulletins.htm
    Aloha from Lavagal

Re: 5.0 Quake!

Wow, that's something. I felt a bit of a shake about an hour ago, but attributed it to the many buses and trucks that rumble past our building. Figured it was just an especially big truck!

That URL only has an update from May, and a map focused on another epicenter. A better site to visit might be:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

Here's the map focused on the epicenter of our latest quake (the colors represent resident reports), and here's the link to their "Did you feel it?" data collection form. If you fill it out, describe what you felt and where you were at the time, you help 'em improve their models. Here's the live results.
    Last edited by pzarquon; July 27, 2006, 11:06 AM. Reason: Tiabla got it!

Comment

Yep, we felt it here in Kailua (Oahu).

121 reports so far:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/hi...m_stats_1.html

Comment

According to the USGS map, it was right between Maui and the Big Island ?
        But I didn't feel anything this morning
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
          According to the USGS map, it was right between Maui and the Big Island ?
          But I didn't feel anything this morning
          I posted a picture of it on Manoa's thread.
          The picture is of Kohoolawe, also known as Koho'olawe with Maui in the background. Not of Kaho'olawe.

BTW: I neva feel nuttin! I feel left out!

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; July 27, 2006, 11:02 AM.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It was at 10:08, the site says. Whether or not you feel it depends on a lot of local factors. Were you walking or seated? Were you in a concrete high rise or a short wooden structure? All questions the USGS asks.

Look at the results page. Twenty seven people in Kailua felt it, with an average reported intensity of III. Kaneohe's average intensity is an impressive IV, from nine responses. But population density affects what the numbers mean. Thirteen folks felt it in Kula on Maui and gave it an average intensity of IV, but that's possibly a more significant dataset (versus a Honolulu region) considering how many people live there.

Given Konaguy's post, it's interesting how few reports are coming in from the Big Island. At least we know Hawaii island is still there!

It's neat to refresh that page and watch the numbers change...
            Last edited by pzarquon; July 27, 2006, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              It's neat to refresh that page and watch the numbers change...
              I know, I'm obsessed! I've been watching it for almost an hour now!

Comment

Kaho`olawe earthquake today

Breaking news from the Advertiser :

"An earthquake 18 miles south of Kaho'olawe at 10:03 this morning was felt as far away as O'ahu's Windward coast and North Shore.
                "Stuart Weinstein, assistant director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said the quake was about 5.0 in magnitude and did not generate a tsunami. "We're getting widespread reports from people who felt it, but the magnitude was small enough that it did not generate a tsunami," Weinstein said. He said the center had not received any reports of damage."

Never felt anything here in Kaneohe.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Kaho'olawe.

Kaho'olawe as seen from a commercial airline in flight. Photo by John Fischer.
                  http://gohawaii.about.com/library/weekly/aa041298.htm

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: Kaho`olawe earthquake today

I felt the slight shaking this morning. Reports starting pouring into KSSK radio about 20 minutes later.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Didnt feel it South Kona either.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Remember, even you folks who didn't feel it can fill out the USGS form. It'll help find stable spots and even round out the data for neighborhoods with several "felt it" reports.

Comment

We're located near downtown Honolulu (close to Harbor) and didn't feel a thing.

I just submitted a USGS (event #19091) report.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've been sitting in front of my computer since before 9AM this morning.
                            I've felt lots of earthquakes during my life, never felt a thing.
                            I live on a cement slab, with a wooden structure on it, north of
                            Kailua-Kona.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I haven't felt it.

I have been inside a building during the hour it happen but I can't remember if I was sitting in my office, standing or sitting at someone's else desk, but so far the rest of the co-workers haven't been talking about the quake so I can assume they haven't felt it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X