My Favorite Musician, Bruce Cockburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favorite Musician, Bruce Cockburn

It's pronounced "Co-burn," in case you didn't know.

pz and kilinahe already know Bruce Cockburn is my favorite, favorite, favorite musician in the whole world, but I never made them listen to him because he was just too important to me. Everyone who loves music wants to be evangelical about the musicians they like, but there are some who are just so personal that a rejection of the music by others feels almost like a rejection of us, too.

Bruce is very popular in his native Canada, and since 1970 has released more than twenty studio albums. His work has been covered by a lot of artists you've heard:
    Cockburn's songs have been covered by artists as diverse as Barenaked Ladies ("Lovers in a Dangerous Time"), Jimmy Buffett ("Pacing the Cage," "Anything, Anytime, Anywhere," "Wondering Where the Lions Are"), Lori Cullen ("Fall"), Anne Murray ("One Day I Walk", "Musical Friends"), Ani DiFranco ("Mama Just Wants to Barrelhouse All Night Long"), and the Jerry Garcia Band ("Waiting for a Miracle"). (from Wikipedia
    As far as I know, Bruce doesn't know Jimmy Buffett, but Buffett has said several times that he's a big fan, and three cover songs in the past twelve years is quite a testimony.

Cockburn's early career leaned heavily in the folk direction, got a little more rock-and-roll in years that followed, and then went sorta jazzy in the late nineties and the early part of this decade. He has been known to write songs of political consciousness. Those who watched MTV in the eighties probably saw his video for "If I Had a Rocket Launcher," in which he rails against violence in Central America, and a few years ago he performed in a series anti-landmine concerts with other musicians of note.

His new album, Life Short Call Now, hit stores more than a week ago, and I'm listening to it now. It's his best work in more than ten years.

So. Your reward for having read this far through this fanboy's idolatry is this, if you want it: Be one of the first ten HTers to send me in p/mail the email address you use in the iTunes music store, and I'll send you two songs from the new album. I'm so enamored of this album that I want to spread the love. Just do it. I'm practically begging!
    Last edited by scrivener; July 27, 2006, 07:07 PM. Reason: "some kinda ecstasy's got a hold on me..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: My Favorite Musician, Bruce Cockburn

All I have to say is "man I'm immature", Also I would have hated to be that guy when he was a kid.

on a side not i googled the guy, he sounds awsome.
    808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
    kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
    http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron
      All I have to say is "man I'm immature", Also I would have hated to be that guy when he was a kid.
      Hahaha...believe me, you're not the first to misread the guy's name. Whenever I've had to ask about him in music stores, the sales people had no idea who I meant until I pronounced it incorrectly.

I'd just like to add that because of his job (and because of other conversations I've had with him), I'm certain that Leo Lakio knows BC's music. If he wasn't already one of my favorite fellow HTers, this alone would be enough to make him one. Leo's the coolest guy in the room.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
        I'd just like to add that because of his job (and because of other conversations I've had with him), I'm certain that Leo Lakio knows BC's music. If he wasn't already one of my favorite fellow HTers, this alone would be enough to make him one. Leo's the coolest guy in the room.
        Ummmm.......
        As much as I love the spotlight, let me point it instead towards Daniel Keebler's website, "Gavin's Woodpile" at http://www.brucecockburn.org/, THE source for All Things Cockburn.

I met Daniel at his home in Snohomish, WA, when he hosted a concert by a long-time musical friend of mine (also Canadian, and on BC's record label), Stephen Fearing http://www.stephenfearing.com/

Just like in the "RIAA" thread - musical gems can and should be shared. It astounds me that Cockburn is not more of a superstar around the world. Perhaps the political honesty of his music is too frightening for some, but I am glad that he never waters down his messages (oh, and he doesn't preach his politics in every song.)

Comment

Working...
        X